Northern Inuit Pet Insurance Questions

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Mileerdee, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Mileerdee

Mileerdee New Member

Name:
    Lillian

Northern Inuit Pet Insurance

Hi folks,
    I was wondering who people use to insure their NIs?
    I have been looking & it seems that a lot of companies exclude them.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. lotsforus

lotsforus New Member

Name:
    Kathryn
    I have our inuit with petplan but its almost £40 a month.
    I have claimed alot in the past so that has a effect it started out about £22 I think.
  4. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    .... which is outrageous! how can u not insure a 'crossbreed' !
  5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim New Member

Name:
    Liesl
    I was with Petplan too.

Yep it is crazy how you cannot insure them as a crossbreed with all insurance companies, I have no idea why they are excluded from so many.:?
  6. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Cross breeds are as expensive ,i can not believe how much the quote life cover from pet plan was for the pup..
  7. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Do some companies not insure crossbreeds?
  8. Mileerdee

Mileerdee New Member

Name:
    Lillian
    Many of them say not crossbreeds with 'Husky or Mal or ..., etc' in them & mine is obviously a 'Husky cross' lol.
    I asked the vet about having him down as a cross breed & she said it was not worth the risk as he is obviously what he is. Worth checking the small print, however when you do its a mine field!
  9. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    yes, a crossbreed :? silly vet :roll:
  10. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    But that is what they are? Odd vet!
  11. Mileerdee

Mileerdee New Member

Name:
    Lillian
    No she was right- the insurance companies I saw did not insure:
    'Malamute cross breeds'
    'Husky crossbreeds'
    'Dogue de Bordeaux crossbreeds'
    and many others.
    He is obviously a Husky crossbreed, so potentially I could insure him & them not pay out
  12. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    From Tesco -
    Looks like you would be fine.

After filling in an online form, Argos will cover NIs as well (as a recognised type - not a cross)

I have only found one company who excludes them. There are maybe more, but I think looking about you will find most places are happy.
  13. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    to be fair tho,all vets i have worked with in 19 years,none of the computer systems put what cross unless you specifically want to put the details on,usually its just either crossbreed-small crossbreed-large crossbreed-medium etc... and NEVER when i have been filling in insurance forms for cients has the 'type of cross' ever been asked...
  14. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    I had no problems insuring Kismet Husky cross Malamute.. She is insure with More Than as a Husky cross and got the 'mongrel discount' which is to say as a crossbreed she has the same price as Pharaoh the lurcher which is cheaper than Selkie the Samoyed.

Surely you could flip it and still be telling the truth, put German Shepherd crossbreed.

To be fair with all the confusions surrounding the breeding og the inuits, you could probably put large crossbreed of unknown mix and still be telling the truth :)
  15. Mileerdee

Mileerdee New Member

Name:
    Lillian
    Thank you Tassle, I'll look at Tesco & Argos, and yes you are right Magpye that is also worth looking into.
    I'll let you know which one I finally choose.
  16. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I did not look at any others - these were just 2 of the first ones that came up on a google search for pet insurance.
    I do not know if the level of cover or customer service from either of these companies is good!
  17. Mileerdee

Mileerdee New Member

Name:
    Lillian
    That's the next minefield! lol
  18. chaosjoey

chaosjoey New Member

Name:
    Nicola
    We used to have Chaos insured with Argos and they paid out on a couple of claims for her no problem. When we got Joey we changed to Virgin as they offered a better deal for both dogs.
  19. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    We are with Pet plan too and find them to be one of the best so are happy to stick with them. ASDA will insure NI's as well though when i was looking. I think its who ever does the insurence for M & S that wont insure NI's they have it in their head they have recent wolf cross in them or something i believe was the last reason they gave!
  20. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Yep Tesco and apparently Sainsbury's etc don't discriminate against certain breeds, types :)
  21. casandra

casandra New Member

I have had and do have my NIs insured with petplan. Mainly because they offer cover for the lifetime of the dog whatever the illness. Average cost for mine is £15 - £21 per month according to age. My mongrel dog costs less. Whichever insurance you decide on make sure you have cover for life as many only cover for a fixed amount and then when you reach the limit the insurance for that illness stops and you have to keep paying out yourself if its a lifetime condition - this can be very expensive.