Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever General Chat

Discussion in 'Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever' started by werewolf, Sep 26, 2008.

1. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    We MUST have pics! I bet thats a smashing cross!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jessica

Jessica New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Upwards of about £850 depending on breeding and breeder.
  4. Josilou

Josilou New Member

Name:
    Josilou
    [​IMG]

Here is Archie, my gorgeous gorgeous Toller X Collie puppy.
  5. Tollerdal

Tollerdal New Member

Name:
    Caroline
    What a beautiful puppy :grin:

He should be an intelligent fella with parents of those two breeds!
  6. Josilou

Josilou New Member

Name:
    Josilou
    Yes, I think he's pretty smart :)
  7. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    What a lovely pup - beautiful markings. Will you put update photos etc. on as he develops. An interesting cross - I like the retriever/collie type crosses very much.
  8. Josilou

Josilou New Member

Name:
    Josilou
    Aw, I'm touched that you're interested in seeing them, but yes I will :)
  9. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    Josilou, we always like seeing doggy pics and when it's a puppy .....well :mrgreen:
    I look forward to seeing many more :grin:
  10. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    God knows I won't be getting another dog for a veeeeeeeeeery long time given Cain's current issues, however if I did chose to get a puppy from a breeder instead of another rescue, it would be a Toller. I am seriously in love with them. I want a bitch with white face markings and I'll call her Ember (not picky or anything! lol)
  11. Josilou

Josilou New Member

Name:
    Josilou
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Update pic of Archie
  12. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    He's GORGEOUS!!!! <3
  13. Josilou

Josilou New Member

Name:
    Josilou
    He's very lucky that he's so gorgeous because he's a PITA at the moment lol.
  14. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    He's growing up to be a very handsome lad.
  15. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    Anyone else got Toller photos?

What would you say are the Toller's five best points and five worst points? By "worst" I just mean 'if you're going to think about getting a Toller you should be aware that....'
  16. scotia

scotia New Member

Name:
    Janice
    If you look on http://www.toller-club.co.uk/ and click on 'contacting a breeder' there's a list of top 10 reasons why the toller may be the dog for you, and another top 10 reasons why it might not be. Can't really improve on those!
  17. murph

murph New Member

Name:
    James
    Should be aware of their energy levels - like collies.
    Their intelligence - need stimulation - providing some form of work
    Can be vocal - some have a high pitched bark when asking for something or excited.
    They are an active breed - for an active owner.
    Playful loyal and intelligent !!
  18. Riverwatcher

Riverwatcher New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    However unlike some collies they do have an "off" switch. Mine are quite happy to curl up by my feet or in their favourite spot if I'm busy. They're not constantly under your feet like some breeds.

They are the smallest of retriever breeds bitches are normally 18-19 inches and the dogs 19-20 inches.

Because they are very intelligent they learn the bad just as quick as the good LOL!

To me they are the clowns of the retriever breeds!!

You should look for a breeder that hip scores, (many are also starting to elbow score as well) - look for the sire and dam to be under or around the breed average which is around 11 in total at the moment, has had the Optigen testing done for PRA-prcd and CEA-CH, on both the sire and the dam, this tells the breeder if their dog is genetically clear, carrier or affected for these conditions, (one parent should always be clear this way there should never be another affected dog born), and has a valid annual BVBA eye test certificate. Some breeders are heart testing and haplotype testing. Haplotype testing is looking at a tiny area on a gene and this reportedly identifies how genetically diverse the breed is although this has been under recent discussion by genetists in the breed.

The majority of tollers are fit and healthy and live to an average age of 12-14 in my experience, and a few owners have reported dogs of 15 & 16 years of age.

The breed does seem to have a predisposition to Steroid Responsive Meningitis Arteritis or SRMA, (sometimes also called MUA (Meningitis of Uknown Atiology)) most cases present themselves before the age of 2, and there have been cases of Addisons and Hyperthyrodism in the breed but all of these illness are in other breeds and I have spoke to several people with crossbreeds suffering with the same conditions so it is not breed specific.

Generally you will probably have to wait for a pup and it is worth getting on a couple of breeders lists as most breeders are "hobby" breeders and have a litter when they want another pup althought there are a few bigger breeders and be prepared for an "interview". Pups are not cheap, £850-£950, and you need to make sure you have good pet insurance cover.

Debbie
    Riverwatcher Tollers
  19. Tollerdal

Tollerdal New Member

Name:
    Caroline
    Lots of helpful information there, thank you. ;-)

I have owned dalmatians since I was 15, showing and breeding them, but felt it was time to change to a more responsive and intelligent breed who I could show and have a bit of fun with doing agility. I narrowed my choices down to the Australian Shepherd Dog and NSDTR then went to Discover Dogs at Crufts to meet both breeds and ask lots of questions. I met two gorgeous Tollers and that was it an easy decision after that. I then tracked down a breeder in my area and went to meet her dogs and she was planning a litter so I put my name down and have been patiently waiting since. Seeing other Tollers only confirmed my decison and made me realise the breeder I had chosen was the right one and was worth waiting for.

She has had all her dogs hip scored and the relevant eyes checks etc. I have also been to watch her and other Tollers at the local championship show to get a better flavour for the breed as they are not the type of dog you see every day.

I have recently had the exciting news that the breeder has had a successful mating and has now had her bitch scanned with pups due the end of December - I am soo excited :038:

I cannot wait to get my very own Toller :048:

20. Tollerdal

Tollerdal New Member

Name:
    Caroline
    Debbie I believe I saw some of your dogs at Paignton this year, gorgeous puppies!

I hope to show my new pup so may well see you in or around the ring in the future.

Any recommendations for the pet insurance?
  21. Riverwatcher

Riverwatcher New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    Yep more than likely - thanks for the compliment I think they're lovely but I think I'm a wee bit biased maybe LOL! I'm pleased to say that one of them looks like he has got Top Toller pup this year!

I know they're a bit more expensive but I understand that the KC insurance is very good. But whatever you do pick one that covers you for life!

Congratulations on the news about your pup, hope all goes well with the whelping and we look forward to seeing you in the ring.

Here's a photo of my guys from earlier this year

[​IMG]

and as pups
    [​IMG]