Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever General Chat

Discussion in 'Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever' started by werewolf, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    What an excellent write up! :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. murph

murph New Member

Name:
    James
    They are gorgeous Debbie :grin:

You must be very proud the pups have been doing so well. Were they your first litter?
  4. Riverwatcher

Riverwatcher New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    Thank you Dawn - I think that prospective owners should know the "bad" as well as the good lol!

Very proud James. They were my first litter and they were a brilliant litter. Sadly there are two that have SRMA but the others are healthy. 6 out of the eight qualified for Crufts and between them the racked up 14 BPIB, 1 RBP in Show, 1 BD, 1RBD & 2 RBB. But the main thing is that they are loved and adored by their new owners and I have seen and heard from the new owners on a regular basis.
  5. scotia

scotia New Member

Name:
    Janice
    Make that 3 RBB now :grin:
  6. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    That's a really interesting write up Riverwatcher, thanks :)

I got my current dog (a GSD x Akita) as a rescue rather on a bit of a whim :blush: Well not a whim, but he was in desperate need for a home and I took him on without having ever met him, only seeing a photograph and I think it's fair to say I got a little more than I'd bargained for. I'd never had a GSD before and knew little about their traits, so starting out with a reactive unstable half GSD probably wasn't the best place to start :lol: but I love him and wouldn't have done it differently.

HOWEVER....it has made me resolved to make damn sure that I know I am getting into in the future! Any breed I get will be thoroughly researched and I certainly want to have all the full facts before hand - inlcuding the bad! You're write up was great. Sadly I won't be able to get another dog any time soon with Cain how he currently is, but I've totally fallen for the Toller and I am now fairly certain that my next dog will be a Toller. :) Love 'em!
  7. Riverwatcher

Riverwatcher New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    Well done Janice and Zoe!! :lol:
  8. Josilou

Josilou New Member

Name:
    Josilou
    My dog is a toller x border collie, so I'm not sure if what I'd say would be considered relevant or not, but I'll tell you what he's like.

He's extremely intelligent - he is very alert, and very interested in whatever is going on. He loves the television and will actually sit and watch it - if an animal comes on the tv, he will bark at it (whether it's a real dog barking, or a cartoon dog) - he seems to be able to tell the difference.

He loves playing all sorts of games, loves his walks, likes the water but doesn't love it, but he is only 8 months old. He's friendly and affectionate, can be soppy, but can also be independent. He's not hyperactive - he will have a play or a walk, and will then be chilled and relaxed.

The worst thing by far, is that he barks with excitement. It is a very loud bark, but I think due to the cross with the collie, it is lower pitch than if he were just toller. This means that when we walk to the park, he barks like a lunatic for the first 5-10 minutes. It's a bit like he's shouting, announcing his arrival. Although I know he's very friendly and sociable with other dogs and people, they don't, and I've had lots of 'looks' from others who seem critical or scared, which I find quite embarassing, and which stops me taking him to certain places.
  9. Tollerdal

Tollerdal New Member

Name:
    Caroline
    The litter I was waiting on arrived just before Christmas :grin:

We pick up our new Toller puppy next week and we cannot wait :mini:
  10. scotia

scotia New Member

Name:
    Janice
    Is that Amber? Or is there somebody else who owns a Dalmatian picking up a Toller puppy next week? :lol:
  11. Tollerdal

Tollerdal New Member

Name:
    Caroline
    You're onto me :lol:

Yep little Amba :grin:

Thought those not on Toller forum might be interested, will post some pics on both when we have her. ;-)
  12. murph

murph New Member

Name:
    James
    What a coincidence - I'm getting a tiller pup next week as well!!
  13. Tollerdal

Tollerdal New Member

Name:
    Caroline
    It's been nearly two weeks since we picked her up so I thought it was about time I introduced Amba;

[​IMG]
  14. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    OMG she's absolutely stunning! I want one....!

Great name btw, I was thinking of calling my toller that (if I ever get one!)
  15. 3dognight

3dognight

Name:
    phil
    well i live in NOVA SCOTIA...and see them often..one day while going to work ...the radio guy aked folks look out for a wandering dog on the bridge...i was on the bridge....collected a pooch...stopped traffic and had him back to his owner before i got to work....nice dog...nat geo did an special on them....saw that ......love to have one
  16. Tollerdal

Tollerdal New Member

Name:
    Caroline
    Amba is now 4 months old. Lovely character, cocks her head to one said when she tries to work out what you want :lol:

I take her to work with me and she has settled in very well. She loves our lunch time walks through town to the park as she gets so many people stop and make a fuss of her!

We are so thrilled with her :grin:

[​IMG]
  17. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    Very pretty gal!
  18. Hazels

Hazels New Member

Name:
    Hazel

I have a bitch called Ember with white markings :grin:

[​IMG]

and she was on the front cover of Dogs Today with her daddy Chester :grin:

[​IMG]
  19. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    Oh she is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!! I want her, I want her, I want her! She is soooo pretty :) Where do you live? Not that I'm going to dog nap her or anything..... ;)

How's life living with three Tollers? I really am planning on getting one as my next dog :)
  20. Hazels

Hazels New Member

Name:
    Hazel
    I live in dartford, kent.

My first toller, Chester, was a problem child :lol: So the others have been easy compared to him! They seem to like living in a group, I don't know many people with just one toller!
  21. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    Well that's the perfect excuse for me to get two then ;) Chester is a very handsome fella too, I love his name :) Whats your third one called?