Oh well, we need the rain... General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Oh well, we need the rain...

...although the five people who drowned in floods in the last few days would not have agreed.

But for the fourth time so far this winter my shower room has flooded with stinking liquid mud, the third time the yuck backing up into the hand-basin in the hallway and also in my kitchen sink, and this time it has now done it again and it is still raining heavily. And because my washing machine drains into the same sewer it cannot be used and my laundry basked is overflowing. Just like the drains.

And my house reeks.

Oh well, as I said, we need the rain, and at least... so far... my ensuite has not flooded, so at least I have a loo and hand-basin I can use.

But on the bright side, my back yard is now one huge swimming pool - full of liquid mud, true, but I am sure hippopotami would enjoy it!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Oh Juli, just what you don't need even if you do need the rain
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am not complaining Chris. I got the death toll wrong - seven people have lost their lives since Saturday, when two young people got trapped in a lift in a basement because the electricity blew, the basement flooded, and they drowned in the lift before the emergency services could save them.

Puts things in perspective as I doubt the liquid mud on my shower-room floor will drown me, and Tikva cannot get in there to paddle as there is a gate across the doorway.
  5. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    That is so sad Juli. The two young people must have been absolutely terrified. Not a good way to go :(
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    How dreadful. Poor kids, and their parents.
    So sorry to hear that you are flooded again. It must get you down.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    ...and again. The water slowly drained as the rain eased off a bit, leaving thick muck, although I managed to clear a bit so that I could get to the loo instead of having to plonk all through the bungalow to the en-suite. And now, at nearly midnight the shower room is flooded again and it is making its way out into the hallway and beyond. Anyone got a spare pair of wellies?

I have just had a news alert come through in which it said "The Hof Ashkelon Regional Council received 12.3 centimeters of rain in a single day - an amount never before recorded in history." From the sound of the rain hitting my roof and pouring down onto the concrete, there will be a lot more overnight - no guesses where I live - in the Hof Ashkelon Regional Council area!

My little bungalow is set down very low, much lower than the road, so all the rain landing on the pavement just pours down my front and side yards. I did managed to get Tikki out for a pee a couple of times during brief breaks in the rain and it is at times like this that I am glad that she still knows what a puppy pad is for, although in her mind it is just for pooing on. If she needs to pee she goes just inside the back room and a mop takes care of that.

It has been/still is diabolical in the north, with roads and schools closed in Nahariya.

One good thing though is that The Kinneret [Sea of Galilee] has risen 83 centimetres since the beginning of the rainy season, and 23 centimetres since yesterday alone.

Some of the pictures and video clips are almost unbelievable. I mean this is Israel - the land of Sun, Sea, and Sand. Not floods.