Old Tyme Bulldogs General Chat

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by Leah93, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Leah93

Leah93 New Member

Name:
    Leah

Old Tyme Bulldogs

Hello everyone

I am new here

I am planning on getting a dog however I am not going about it lightly and I am looking for the best breed to get.

I live in a basement flat and have a small back and front garden. I live with three cats too. I am not into heavy exercise so do not want an energetic dog with high eneergy levels. I would prefer a couch pototo who would be satisfied with a walk each day and a longer more intense walk on weekends.

I was interested in the English Bulldog but noticed it has a multitude of health problems and was far to expensive for me. However the Old Tyme English bulldog was cheaper and has few health problems. Can I ask what the main difference between the bulldog and old tyme bulldog is?

It is exercise which is the main factor effecting my decision. I am considering other dogs but I am particuarly keen on these.

Please help me!

Many thanks:001:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus
    The Dorset Olde Tyme Bulldogge is a medium size dog whom stands proud and out from the rest, fearless, confidant, alert yet docile, showing great strength, a real power house, whom attracts stares and comments, with regards to his strong hard athletic physique, yet still close coupled and compact, enough to promote the traditional bulldog looks, that are common with regards to his breeding, stocky athletic imposing. The shoulders are muscular and slightly sloping, fore legs are straight, well boned and set well apart, elbows turned neither in or out, feet broad strong, toes tight, nails curved and strong, pads thick and tough. The hindquarters are broad and muscular, with well developed second thigh denoting power, but not cumbersome, moderate angulations at hocks, cow hocks and splay feet are serious faults. His gait is powerful, heavy, with good drive from the hind quarters. A straight or pump handle tail is preferred and most desired, but crank and cork screw is accepted. The Dorset Olde Tyme Bulldogge has a large strong head, the upper region of the head is slightly convex from one side to the other, the fore head dominates the face, however it is still wider than high, the head is furrowed, with loose thick and wrinkled skin about the throat and side of head, cheeks: prominent, due to the strong development of the muscles, broad muzzle: with obvious folds, broad and deep, keeping it's length in comparison with that of the entire head. The nose is broad, with well open nostrils; lack of fore face with nostrils set on top of muzzle is a reversion back to the kennel club bulldog and is very undesirable. Care is taken to keep the traditional strong bulldogge head, allowing short strong enough muzzle to not hinder breathing while still keeping the solid close coupled broad set bulldog looks. The body is compact. The chest is wide and deep with ribs well sprung and well set down between the fore legs. The back is short, giving the impression of a well balanced dog. The neck is slightly arched, of moderate length, very muscular and almost equal to the circumference to the skull. The top line is solid with a broad and muscular back, withers well marked, broad loin, rather short and solid. The ears are set high and wide, rose preferred, button is accepted. The coat is of fine texture, smooth flat, short coat desired, similar to the glossy sheen of the Stafford, double or oily coat un-desired Any color acceptable, Dorset's are bred in variations of brindle, variations of pied, also black and slate gray- blue, the slate gray blue's known as Dorset Blue poole's, as a respect & tribute to the original blue Paul (pol) of Scotland, and the area of Poole in Dorset.......this breeding is still at the early stage's of Steve's breeding program, and have only just after a few years started to reproduce type, in color.
    Temperament
    The Dorset Olde Tyme Bulldogge is a very good all round family member, 100% loyal among the children and keen to please and be part of the family circle, not homed as a guardian, but determined protector none the less. Whether you are active or laid back, the Dorset bulldogge will fit into any life style. Keen to lie at your feet or walk at your side, a good companion very attached to his master and very affectionate; longs to be loved. They are usually good with non-k-9 pets, especially when raised with them from puppyhood and they usually get along well with other dogs.
    Height, Weight
    Height: 19-21 inches (48-54 cm.)
    Weight: 60-90 pounds (27-41 kg.)

Preferring a strong stocky muscled physic- height and weight should be in keeping with a symmetrical, well proportioned body, keeping the appearance of strong traditional bulldogge looks.

Hope this helps!
  4. Leah93

Leah93 New Member

Name:
    Leah
    Thank you. I found this on the dogbreedinfo website. I am concerned with the exercise point of view. It says it can handle any ammount. I read it is happy if you are active or inactive and will adapt to your life style. SO maybe it owuld be happy with one shortish 15-30min walk a day and a good walk on the weekends.
  5. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus
    I love bulldogs to....Old tyme....American.....British!
    But I to would be very concered about some of the britsh bulldogs health problems and short life expectancy!
    What other breed have you considered if any?

Good luck and hope you get your little pup soon, cant wait to see picz!:grin:
  6. Leah93

Leah93 New Member

Name:
    Leah
    DO you know anything about what I thought about exercise. The old tyme seem like a big muscular breed but then again I read they adapt to your life style and I guess as long as they got one good off lead session each week along with short walks each day they would be fine. I have considered pugs and pugs cross cavalier
  7. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus
    Im not an expert on old tyme bulldogges but every thing I have read about them does say they adapt to most lifestyles and are just as happy to have lots of exercise or be lying at your feet.
    I would say though like any dog daily walks and exercise are very important for your dogs health, mentally and physically, also it is very important you get your pup out and about to meet lots of people, dogs etc to get it socialized properly.
    Just keep doing your research about the breed, you could phone some breeders they should answer any questions you have, and if the breed would suit your lifestyle.
    If I can find anymore info I'll post it or mp you.

Also I think there maybe a few old tyme bulldogge owners here on dogsey that would be great to speak to aswell!
  8. Leah93

Leah93 New Member

Name:
    Leah
    Thanks! Yes, I just want to make sure that the ammount of exercise I can give them would be enough.
  9. bobbym

bobbym New Member

Name:
    bob
    because your are counting in minutes and not ln quality time i would say maybe its not the breed but you?
  10. Leah93

Leah93 New Member

Name:
    Leah
    Hmm what do you mean?:p

I am not sure, I think I would be able to give that much each day along with play and things and I have a back garden for it too.
  11. jamessmith

jamessmith New Member

Name:
    james
    all dogs need regular exercise,at least twice daily,1 good off the lead session a week is not enough for any dog especially an olde tyme,i own 2( male& female) and if they only got 1 decent walk a week they would wreck my house,these dogs are very driven and very athletic,hence why they were created,and why they are gaining in popularity all the time,i wouldnt concider getting a dog if i was you,as you dont seem to have its best interests at heart,there are thousands of dogs in dogs homes who are in their through no fault of their own other than their owners didnt do proper research into the breed or dogs in general!!!
  12. Hannaho

Hannaho New Member

Name:
    Hannah
    i think if you are worried about how much exercise you can give a dog dont get one. all dogs need exercise and i dont think 30 mins a day is long enough for any dog - i would hate it if i had only 30 mins out of my house a day i would go insane!!! if your going to be out of the house for more than 5 hours the best thing to get a dog walker. And if your thinking of getting a puppy its not fair to leave it on its own for more that 3 hours.

maybe it would be best to look at old dogs in rescues who dont need as much intense exercise as younger dogs
    x
  13. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    I owned Olde Tyme Bulldogs for a few years :grin: You have to be careful when exercising young puppies as these dogs do not fully mature until they are at least 3 years old, so you have to be careful not to over exercise when they are young as you can cause ligament damage . I would say they wouldn't really be suited to apartment life they need quite a bit of space to move around and almost certainly need a garden (housetraining can be a pain) so a garden is must - you don't say whether you have one? :?

Funnily enough I couldn't let my Olde Tymes off lead - basically because they used to run and keep running! I wouldn't describe them as driven :? Stubborn, thick as two short planks and friendly towards all people are the only words I can only find to describe them - the lovable rogues that they are! Just an owner with some sense is what these dogs need, I wouldn't say they were a ''hard'' breed to own and certainly would not right them off to first time owners as long as they have read up about the traits of a Bulldog and expect and accept what they can be like to own. Personally it's a mine field out there with these dogs, why I chose not to have another after my last one passed away early part of this year - you have to know who to trust in this breed and who you cannot. I certainly would not advise anyone to buy one of these dogs out of the free ads or from anyone who advertised them online - you have to be in the know and you have to be completely aware of what you are buying and the lines these dogs can come from ;)