Once you get a GSD.. you can't go back? Questions

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by TabithaJ, Jul 7, 2011.

1. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Once you get a GSD.. you can't go back?

I've noticed both on this forum and on various other dog sites, that GSD owners in particular often seem to say that the breed is 'special' and/or that once you've had a GSD, that's it, they 'get' to you.

Of course I realise we are all biased towards our own dogs/breed but as I've seen so many GSD folk saying this, it's just made me wonder:

Is it that GSDs are just very popular so statistically there are more people who own them on the forums?

Or is there something 'special' that sets this breed aside from many others...? And if so - what is it.....?:mrgreen:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. krlyr

krlyr

Name:
    Karly
    I just love the GSD characteristics! I suppose one trait that sticks out is their loyalty to, generally, one person - it's very flattering to have a dog that prefers you to everyone else! Casper is definately a mummy's boy, though I do make a point of the rest of the household getting involved with him.
    I also love their vocalness - their huffs and sighs, even their whines :lol: Kiki doesn't have any of that really and I missed it when I just had her, which is why I specifically adopted a GSD as my second dog.
    Also when you get used to bigger dogs, anything smaller seems odd. I can't get the right pace with my mum's small Collie cross! I'm a big dog gal now, and OH has found the same - he was actually a little dog person, but now said he'd definately go for a large breed.
    Not to mention they're handsome doggies!
    Having Kiki has opened my mind to other breeds though. I never really thought much about Rottweilers but would maybe consider a purebred one or a Rottie cross again in the future. Having a "non-GSD" (even if she is half GSD, not that you could really tell if you didn't know) has made me realise that I would bond with another breed too, so I may consider something totally different in the future (though probably still a large breed)
  4. dog_geek

dog_geek New Member

The same is said about collies. I dont own a GSD but its definitely one of the future for me.

I think its because, like collies they are so intelligent and so eager to please. You can get such a strong bond with both breeds, sometimes its just like they get you before you get yourself. Its a hard bond to describe, at least this is how I feel :grin:
  5. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    Oh don't get me started!!!:mrgreen: For me, the best characteristic about them is their mind reading capabilities, you don't have to ask/tell them to do anything, they just instintively know what you want/are thinking/are about to do. They are always "up for it", even if you woke them up in the middle of the night from the deadest of sleeps, they'd be there and ready to do whatever you wanted, it's one of their best attributes. Personally, I think they only sleep because you are, sleep isn't high on their list along with those treats, they'd much rather have YOU!

I love the way they're so loyal, following you around everywhere and if they can't, then they've always got their beady eyes on what you're up to and wondering why they can't be included:grin: YOU are the most important thing in their lives, nothing else comes close, and if there's two of you, they share everything they have between both of you - I've never had a "one person" shepherd ever.

I love their intelligence, you only have to tell them once, training is an absolute doddle, and they never question you or want to have the last word, they're so very eager to please and to get it right, there's no reason to. I think this is what I love most about them, when you've trained them up well, they are such a part of you, words aren't always necessary, they are just such "good" dogs, I've never had one that hasn't anticipated my actions and done it before I've had a chance to ask. I'd also go so far as to say, I've never had one who has done anything naughty, why would they want to upset you, they know their boundaries, your likes and dislikes coz they're so very intelligent. I suppose that all comes about because of the very strong bond you have with these very special dogs.

A gsd will lay down its life for you if necessary (what a great feeling that is), and what other dog could you say that about?! Not many I'm sure!

Sold! To the lady with the yellow lab lol!
  6. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    Yes.
    It`s the bond I think.
    And their evil SOH possibly.

My ex (Before he was an ex) tried to walk MY GSD once. He had to send her home in a cab because she refused to go any further. Her judgement on people was always impeccable.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2011
  7. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

LOL - thanks Helena :)

Interestingly the part of your answer I have put in bold describes my Lab!!

The rest (ease of training) not so much :twisted: :mrgreen:
  8. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

LOL - she actually refused to go for a walk with him? Wow.
  9. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Definitely something special that sets them aside from others!

What I really love about them is that they aren't just good at one thing, they are good at everything, and so adaptable! My Zephyr runs like a greyhound and is fantastic at tracking. He has nervous aggression issues (which i'm sure is down to bad breeding) but aside from that he is an amazing dog, funny, cute, clever, loyal, very protective and so much more. I really do love him more than anything (even if he can be a bit of a daddy's boy :evil: lol) and I well up if I imagine him not being with me. We've been through so much together, he's been from Durham to NE Scotland, visits to Cornwall, my ex coming and going (RAF) then finally down home to Cornwall for good when my ex left us. They will be happy anywhere with you, you are their home! My parents were amazed at how Zephyr travelled in the car for 15hours (with a few breaks) without making a sound!

Our new addition Zeus is such a sweetie, he is the opposite to Zeph, slow, friendly and a wee bit lazy but we are working on that and he is gaining energy! The Rottweiler is a lovely breed, but the GSD has and always will be my no.1!
  10. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I am sure that everyone with a purebred dog will tell you that their breed is special ... and I am sure they all are in their own way ;-)

However, GSDs are special to me because, as all the other owners have said already, they are the most loyal and versatile breed on the planet :grin: They always give 100% - whether that is in affection, loyalty, energy, focus to a task etc. They are always there to watch your back and constantly make sure you are with them and that all is ok. They are intelligent, highly trainable and handsome, they have a presence about them that few other breeds possess imo.
  11. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I agree that GSDs and BCs do share some of the same traits (or perhaps they just compliment each other?), but the main differences I have noticed (and I own both) is that GSDs, in general, aren't obsessive like collies, and of course many collies (but not all I hasten to add) don't have the same protective instinct as GSDs. As far as wanting to please goes, I have found, especially with the working collies, that they are eager to do their job, and often times they don't care who the handler is as long as they are able to work :grin: GSDs tend to want to work to please you, whereas the collies want to work to satisfy their NEED to work. If that makes sense.

When are you considering adding a GSD, dog-geek? Collies and GSDs certainly do seem to get along well :-D
  12. *Lorraine*

*Lorraine* New Member

Name:
    Lorraine
    These 2 are my 3rd & 4th GSD's...they are nothing like each other & nothing like my other Shepherds. They've all had their own characters.
    What I like about the breed in general is their capability to adapt to all situations & their eagerness to please. They mix well with Dogs of all sizes & breeds & are easy to "read".

My Shepherd x Mali has the "need" to work as previously mentioned. She will pester me & keep "performing" to gain my attention. The Shepherds don't do that.
  13. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear

My view for what it is worth, my current GSD is my first, will not be my last.

ALL breed enthusiasts think their breeds are "special" the same outlook applies to my other breed.

They do have qualities that other breeds do not have.

My particular GSD has a "need" to work, which is why I bought him! ;)
  14. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    for me a GSD is one that you can teach/raise to complete any job in society that you want it to, a multi purpose breed, from gundog to stockdog to therapy dog to competition/sport dog.

a loyal dog who will only have 1 owner but many friends/ assoiates, a dog that you can take anywhere but will protect if the need arose
  15. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    I always had GSD's before collies, but have decided that my next dog will be another GSD
  16. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    I fell in love with a grey bitch belonging to a trainer at the local BAGSD(then the BAA)branch when I was 6, she had the most beautiful character & you could tell just by looking into her eyes, a very honest & clever girl-I was hooked.

2 years later I got my GSD puppy from Ireland from Mrs Barrington & I was hooked totally & utterly & still am.

Over the next 50 + years I have personally owned another 6 & been owned by a lot more that my parents owned/breed.

To me they & the BC are the multi purpose ones in the canine world, they can both turn they paws to anything(Well IMHO they should be able to do so)

As my German friend, Petra, always says "Augen-Blick"

Karat's latest performance in VPG
  17. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    What a cracker,he loves his work,is he a relative to the one you hope to get?:grin:
  18. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Yep hopefully
  19. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Ah, sweet :)
  20. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow New Member

Name:
    Wendy
    I think many people have mentioned some of the "special" qualities of GSDs already but the word that always springs to mind when OH or I are describing our GSD Nero is "willing" and I swear that you can almost see him trying to work out what it is that he can do to please you. And of course intelligence and mind reading have both been mentioned earlier :lol:

I think that if there was such a thing, they would be a "dog's dog" - macho, proud, versatile and wolfish both in a protective but also playful way and they seem to me anyway like the epitome of a canine.

I have to say that I always feel privileged that such an amazing, intelligent, loyal and powerful animal takes his lead from me and looks so "happy" when he is following my commands. Oh and he sits on my feet and keeps them warm and cosy too :blush:

Wendy
  21. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I have to agree with everythign said so far about GSDs and tbh I don't have that much to add to it. But one otehr thing that I have noticed, particularly with Zane (maybe because he's so oversized) is the sheer pwer that he has. When out on the fields behind the airport to see him run at full speed is amazing. I Know I'm biased but others have said it also.

To know that an animal that could do as much or as little damage as he wanted or needed to, who could easily kill an human given his strength, can fight with and dominate any other dog (although I don't like or use the word dominant as a rule, Zane is definitely a dominant male) and to also know that he would never do any of those things because he is such a gentle giant. He sits on my feet at night when he wants his cuddles and belly rubs. He lies on top of me if he thinks I'm ignoring him and sits on my lap when I'm trying to watch TV! (Yes, on my lap and at 59Kg is it any wonder my legs don't work properly!!)

When you look into their eyes you can see the vulnerability, the loyalty they have for you, the longing and willingness to learn and do everything you ask of them, etc.

To see my GSDs (all 3 of them) follow Oscar as opposed to me when we're in the park is fantastic. It's almost as though they know they're MY dogs primarily but they have to look after Oscar. I know that if Oscar goes out of sight, even though he knows he shouldn't, my GSDs will follow and stay with him. He will not come to any harm and they will protect him, no matter what.

Of course I'm biased because I have GSDs. But I will ALWAYS have GSDs in my life.