Opinions On Crossing GSDs with NIDs Controversial

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by werewolf, Nov 11, 2009.

1. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private

Opinions On Crossing GSDs with NIDs

We have had many threads about the NID and their origins etc. This is a friendly thread , so no arguments please! The question has been raised on a different thread, I am now curious as to what other people think. Do you think it is productive to add GSD blood to the existing NIDs? I think that there are some lovely , fine looking dogs that are NID x GSD but we are not talking looks alone. What are the benefits of such breeding , other than , a fine looking litter, which can also obviously be produced without crossing.........? Thoughts please.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Personally i dont think crossing NIs with GSD is going to achive anything other then creating more corss breeds with a high price tag. Outcrossing is a worthy idea in ALL breeds but would need to be done VERY carefully with only the best and healthiest (sp?) stock being used. The whole thing would need to be planned to within an inch and the offspring only going to homes aware of the programe.

In most of the cases i dont feel this is being carried out and it all just seems like a good way to make a bit of extra cash.
  4. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Agree with Razcox
    It seems this breed is considered unhelthy because of the origonal breeding was not done well - so if it is not a careful breeding with health and DNA tests then there is no benifit
    But when you are trying to improve a breed with the introduction of new blood you cannot charge a high price tag for the pet puppies that are not good enough to be kept in the breeding programme

If the pups are just designed for sale then they are not to improve the breeding stock of the breed but just to make money
  5. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I just feel it will all go the very same way as before,

money first, money second, third, forth, .........and on and on,.
  6. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Yep agree, very expensive mongrels , with even more health problems:?
  7. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Nes you are doing this purposely to have a dog at Marie, this thread should be closed because at the VERY least the parents of these dogs have decent hip scores!
  8. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    is there a breeding plan in place from the person thats producing these x's

do they have a vision of what dogs they will use in the next few matings?
  9. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I don't know much about NIs, but isn't the GSD one of the dogs already in their original make-up? If that is correct, then I don't really see the point in crossing them with GSDs now. Unfortunately it is probably just another money making scheme. :-(
  10. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    Given that NIs and the assorted variations on them are intended to be wolf lookalikes, I wouldn't see any benefits of adding today's GSD to the mix. It certainly wouldn't make them any more wolflike or healthy IMHO.

Mick
  11. littlewolf

littlewolf New Member

Name:
    Elle
    When I seen the pups I couldn't help but think that the breeder must have been pretty disappointed that the puppies all look very GSD.

I know that in the litter that I got my pup, the two puppies that looked like german shepherds were the last to find homes.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2009
  12. Sansorrella

Sansorrella

Name:
    Sandra
    Yes there is a breeding plan in place and it involves a large number of breeders who are concerned about the past inbreeding of the NI. All stock being used is health tested and proven - with progeny also having been health tested in any outside stud dogs being used. The plan covers future breeding for the next three generations at least.

I don't think that there is any doubt that mistakes were made in the initial breeding of the NI and the dogs used were not the best quality - health not being a consideration. By using the breeds in the initial make up of the breed, but this time using quality dogs, shouldn't take the breed too far away from the look and temperament required - but breeding for health is our first concern.

Nes - stop digging at Marie and find another hobby. She isn't going to rise to your bait.
  13. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    thanks for that info, will it be all NI bitches to GSD studs, or will you use gsd bitches with NI studs also,
  14. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    As GSD were used Initally i dont really see the problem, the only thing i wouldnt like to see is more saddle Backed coloured dogs, although Colour is obvisley secondry to health
  15. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    How strange! It tells me more about the kind of people wanting these types of dogs :-( If the breeder is "disappointed" that the pups look like GSDs then why the heck cross an NI with a GSD?!!! :roll: What are they hoping to get from the mating?
  16. littlewolf

littlewolf New Member

Name:
    Elle
    I think people who want these types of dogs are wanting the wolf look, I'm not trying to be disrespectful to the GSD, and sorry if that's how it sounded. I just believe that if the breeder wishes to be breeding wolfalike dogs they would be disappointed if the dogs didn't have this "look"?
  17. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    I still think they would be better off using a BSD, more Wolfie than the GSD
  18. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    but.........if you use, gsd x NI, you have a 50:50 chance that they will look like a gsd, some may look ni, some may look gsd, if your lucky you will get some in the middle,
  19. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Fair enough, but then they should leave GSDs out of it. After all, they don't have the "look" of a wolf.
  20. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    you have a fair point there, depending on what dogs they used it would help with the reduction of the black saddle?
  21. littlewolf

littlewolf New Member

Name:
    Elle
    Mine is a purely laymans opinion. I'm just guessing what the breeders are after.