Opinions please Questions

Discussion in 'Rhodesian Ridgeback' started by Carter54, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Carter54

Carter54 New Member

Name:
    Ray Carter
    LMost and Azz like this.

Opinions please

New to this forum, and new to RR's. However my puppy will be with me in a couple of weeks time. I have had some information from the breeder but wanted to ask a few general questions/opinions from current owners.
    My (male) puppy will be 16 weeks old and I want to start obedience training as soon as possible. What's the best time to start this?
    When it comes to collars and leads, what is best for RR's, harness, wide collars, half-chock (not keen) etc?
    Best food for RR puppies, and later as adults?

Thanks in advance
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    LMost, Azz and GsdSlave like this.
    Hello Ray, welcome to Breedia.
    I don't know whether we have any active RR members at present - but you never know who will turn up! I will try and give you some general advice, if that is OK?
    As soon as you have completed your puppy's post shot quarantine is the perfect time to start a puppy foundation course. Are you in the UK? If so, Google The Kennel Club Good Citizen Dog Scheme, and find the nearest participating club. This course starts with the Puppy Foundation level, and progresses through Bronze, Silver and Gold awards towards competition level obedience - though you can opt out at any stage. The clubs that follow the KC scheme use reward based training methods, and prefer you to use a flat leather collar, at least in the early stages. If you prefer a headcollar, and/or harness for non training exercise, that is down to your own preference, and what suits your dog the best.
    For feeding, the breeder should supply you with a diet sheet. Do not change the diet that he has been on until he has fully settled with you. A change of home can upset a puppy's tum for a day or two, so it is best to change as little as possible. Most breeders will supply you with a few days worth of the food he has been eating. Once he has settled you can consider whether you think there might be something better.
    I hope this helps, I'm sorry I couldn't be breed specific.
  4. Carter54

Carter54 New Member

Name:
    Ray Carter
    Thank you very much Carole. I will take this on board