Overbite in Registered FCR Health

Discussion in 'Flat Coated Retriever' started by earthchild, Jun 15, 2014.

?

Does your FCR have an overbite?

1. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, and it did not correct.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, but it corrected itself.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes, but I had it successfully fixed by surgery or other means.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Yes, tried to have it fixed, but did not succeed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Yes, but only very small.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. earthchild

earthchild New Member

Name:
    Mika

Overbite in Registered FCR

When I got my puppy at 9 weeks he had a bit of an overbite...now at almost 5 months it's a bit more than 1cm big. All his food falls out of his mouth if it's not given in a bowl and he also makes a huge mess when drinking.

Will I be out of line to ask for some sort of compensation from the breeder? My vet said we'll have to remove 2 of his lower front teeth as it digs into his pallet...

I love my dog to bits, he has the most loving and sweet personality, but I'm a bit peeved that I've paid so much for him. He is also KUSA registered, so I thought these type of problems would not be present.

It doesn't look like it bothers him much, but I feel sorry for him when I give him a treat and it all ends up in crumbles on the floor or when I check his mouth and I see the hardening on his pallet [​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    HI Mika, welcome to Breedia.

Do you have any photos of your dog? It might be easier to give an opinion after seeing a few.

With regards to compensation, I guess it would depend on the breeder - there are some that will give you a full refund if the dog is not completely fit, others, are in it more of the money unfortunately (assuming there's a long term problem of course).
  4. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    CaroleC likes this.
    Has he got all his adult teeth through now?
    I'm not sure how the breeder is expected to know or guarantee how his teeth or any other part of him will grow tbh. Did you see the parents ? what were their teeth like. If the parents had an overbite then it could be seen as more likely the pups would have too. but life offers no guarantees. Two of my Pugs have retained baby teeth, that's not the breeders fault, the adult teeth didn't push them out when they came through. My vet wanted to remove them and I decided to give them time to see if they'd come out and so far one of them has so I'm hopeful the other one will too. The point being his teeth even if all through could still change the bite as he grows. I'm assuming their bite wasn't part of any health tests carried out, not one I've heard of anyway. Have you even spoken to the breeder to get their take on it, the bite that is not the compensation. Even with extensive health testing not everything will or is able to be tested for. So I get that you're disappointed although I think it may be premature but really would you feel better if the breeder knocked a couple of hundred quid off. If Kusa registered is the same as our KC registered that in itself doesn't really mean a lot at all.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC and 6JRT's like this.
    I wouldn't worry to much at 5 months old, they are still teething/growing and the lower jaw always needs to catch up, If the teeth are only slightly affecting the roof of the mouth (like he can eat and drink and doesn't seem bothered or in pain) I would give it another few months or so. It may never be perfect but as long as you don’t want to show or breed then it won’t be a problem.

. I've had a GSD who had correct puppy bite but as the permanent teeth came through he had an overbite but it corrected itself when he was around 11mths, the lower jaw usually grows at slower rate, especially in Gsd’s.
    Encourage him to play and chew a Kong/ball and bones.
    My worry would be if you start to interfere at this young age and the jaw continues to develop that you will end up worse than when you started, possibly preventing any self correction of jaw and bite

if your vet is recommending "removal" What are they removing? Puppy teeth? Adult teeth? personally I would be waiting until the puppy teeth are out and see where the adult teeth want to come in.

I would no way let a vet operate unless it was absolutely necessary.
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    One of my Doberman's had same problem but my vets said she was just a messy eater & will grow out of it & she did by time she was 16 months old as her jaw had lined up.