Ovtcharka - Central Asian Shepherd Dog Experiences

Discussion in 'Working Dogs Forum' started by Pork1epe1, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Azz likes this.

Ovtcharka - Central Asian Shepherd Dog

When we arrived at training last Sunday morning Gabor our trainer introduced us to his new puppy ... a 5 month old Ovtcharka - Central Asian Shepherd Dog, which is not to be confused with the South Russian Ovtcharka which looks very similar to a large Hungarian Puli. This young man looks like a cuddly white and mushroom coloured bear at the moment but Gabor told me when he grows up he'll weigh around 90 kgs!

I've never seen one before and of course didn't have my camera with me, so no photo!

I'd be interested to know whether anyone else has met one?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Had to google it! Certainly never met one -very impressive!

Is it the same as a Caucasian Ovtcharka? Because there seems to be at least one breeder in the UK, in Stockton on Tees.
  4. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Don't think so Janet. Gabor definitely said he was a Central Asian Ovtcharka. As far as I can tell from the photos I've googled, although as puppies they look very similar as adults the Caucasian looks more like a Tibetan Mastiff than the Central Asian.

Hopefully someone will come along and be able to tell us!
  5. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    central asian ovcharka, No t. There a herding and guarding dog.
    Forget the exact history but there all in one way or another part of the former USSR breeding program. Would have to asked a friend who has 2 or asked on the molosser forum, for the exact history, it is debated a lot.
    There great family dogs, many lines are still used for herding and a lot for PP training, unfortunately certain countries still use them for dog fighting.
    90 kg would be the very top end weight wise, and extremely rare. There generally in the 65 to 70 range.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I thought this Breed rang a bell, so I just defected to Dogsey to do a quick search.
    There are quite a few mentions there, and there seem to be owner/members in Leeds and Leicester - so presumably there must be others too.
  7. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I found 7 breeders in Hungary but only one in the UK. I've been looking at photos of the adults .... what beautiful dogs! I must remember to ask Gabor whether he bought his in Hungary or Russia.
  8. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    6JRT's, Azz and CaroleC like this.
    We went to training today and who should be there but Gabor's new puppy who'll be around 7 months old now. And guess what ... I'd got my camera with me so was able to take some photos. Not very good ones though as he wouldn't stand still for more than a few seconds!

SAM_1028.JPG

SAM_1026.JPG

SAM_1021.JPG

SAM_1029.JPG

Training was great today ... well for me at least, because Gabor whisked the Prince and Princess away to use them as "demonstration models" of how the perfect??? dog should behave around other dogs and people, so whilst they were doing their stuff I had a quiet hour, chilling out!

Just one more photo showing where we train, It's a lovely wooded spot and although you can't see because today was foggy, there are hills behind the houses. The specks on the right of the picture are Gabor with Georgina and Gwylim!

SAM_1023.JPG .
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That puppy of Gabor has one of those "I have been here before" expressions! I wonder what he will look like when fully grown.

Well done to the Princess and Prince being used as perfect demonstration models, and well done to you for making sure that they are so! :023:
  10. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Lovely 'cuddly' pup :049:
  11. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Hes adorable, though looks kind of sad, why is he chained up ?
  12. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    GsdSlave likes this.
    He's actually a friendly happy chappie, but I think he was a bit miffed by the camera! Gabor had put him on a chain whilst he was taking a class in the field below the tennis club. The chain was attached to a broad soft collar.
  13. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    He's so cute. Almost bought one a few years back.

I'd think he is chained to prevent him from running off or possibly getting injured.