Pacing due to TV Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Kash's Mama, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Kash's Mama

Kash's Mama New Member

Name:
    Amber

Pacing due to TV

During this whole pandemic, I have kept my routine and my Mal's routine the same. But over the past 3 weeks, he has exhibited some behaviors that I cannot explain. One of the main ones is his pacing/anxiety with the TV. The TV is not one during the day since it wasn't when I wasn't while I was at work. Now anytime the TV is on he is stares and whines at it, then either paces in front of it or he runs around the sectional wall we have placed there. This usually occurs later in the day and even after 15-20 minute scent walks around our property. He has access to all his favorite toys but chooses to ignore them. This behavior has gotten to the point that we have to turn the TV off or kennel him for the night earlier than normal.
    With everything going on and the stay at home orders, it is hard to get him out to socialize with other dogs which really helps with his socialization and energy. If anyone has any suggestions of what I can do to ease this anxiety.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Could you desensitize by pairing a silent image on the TV screen, (nothing with too much movement), with classical or gentle meditative music? Start with brief sessions and gradually extend them. You may find that a herbal nerve supplement may help too. I have used Dorwest Valerian tincture on rescues in the past, and I currently use Healthspan's MagiCalm for Dogs to settle my non-show Beagle when he attends shows with us - he hates it and will drool if he doesn't have his MagiCalm.
  4. Kash's Mama

Kash's Mama New Member

Name:
    Amber
    We have calming tablets that we have tried, but they don't seem to make much difference sometimes. I have tried just putting the tv on a music station that only shows the name of the song and an album cover, but that seems to work him up as well. I'm thinking he may grow out of it but just makes it hard when we are trying to relax as a family at night by watching a little tv but have to worry about how Kash reacts.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Could he learn to settle in a different room? Perhaps with a chew or a Kong which has been stuffed and frozen. Chewing has a calming effect on dogs.
  6. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Maybe he can sense your anxiety in relation with what is going on in the outside world and what's on TV.. Tootsy my dog seems to pick up on things that would require an extra sense that we are not aware of. Sometimes I just have it in my head I should take her for a walk and she seems to have the ability to know what I am thinking and reacts accordingly.. Maybe this isn't the reason for your dogs anxiety but I firmly beleve dogs have an extra sense.....
  7. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    My guess is that there is a change in routine as you are now at home more. Little things tend to create stress.

Carole's idea is good and you could also try having the sound off to start with, then low, then normal sound all the time playing his favourite game. Play tends to be a wonderful way to get them over the stresses and strains of daily life
  8. Kash's Mama

Kash's Mama New Member

Name:
    Amber
    I may try that tomorrow. I gave him a tennis ball cut with treats yesterday and this afternoon and they seemed to work. He also has a lick mat that I may try to use. Thank you for your advice this entire time~ they have been so helpful!!
  9. Kash's Mama

Kash's Mama New Member

Name:
    Amber
    All the advice you guys give is fantastic!!! I never thought about having the sound off. We do turn it down but it seems the movement on the TV is what triggers it. I may try a game, but being a 10 month old 60 pound puppy, there isn't much room inside to do some of his favorite games.
  10. Kash's Mama

Kash's Mama New Member

Name:
    Amber
    I totally agree with you. My fiance has anxiety and when they are together in situations that both their anxiety flare up, Kash is a handful. Neither of which is their fault. Dogs sense when their owners are not their normal self.
  11. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    There are lots of games one can play indoors.
    Find it game
    First I show the dog the titbit/toy and then I give them the stay command. Then I hide the object, first in their site so they can see what I'm doing. I release them with command (find it) and make a big deal when they find it. Then I repeat and as they get more comfortable I hide the object in another room where they can't see me, making the hiding places more and more challenging and laying more and more false scents (walking around to different places) so they really have to work hard to find it. All of my dogs have loved this game.

Simple short training sessions, scattered throughout the day.

Food Puzzle toys

Tug of war game

The cup game ,with a couple of plastic cups, I would put a toy/titbit under a cup, then move them around on the floor, and ask them to find the toy/titbit, usually they push the cup with their nose or paw at the cup that the titbit/toy is under, praise and give reward.
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Also, Fetch the toy - by name.
    Teach him the names of a couple of his favourite toys. Sit them fairly close together and ask him to bring one of them by its name. (He may only touch it to begin with - so encourage him). When he gets the right one, reward, reward! When he can pick the right one from two - you can add another named toy. Once he has learned the names, he can begin to search for a toy hidden somewhere in the room.
  13. Kash's Mama

Kash's Mama New Member

Name:
    Amber
    I have done the cup game, but use flower pots and sometimes a muffin tin with teniss balls. I have also ordered a few chew games. I may also try the hide and seek.