Parson russels - what kind of temperament? Questions

Discussion in 'Parson Russell Terrier' started by Lottie, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie

Parson russels - what kind of temperament?

Someone I know of is considering a PRT puppy and was wondering what owners or people experienced with them would say about them.

What sort of temperament they have, how easy to train etc. were their words.

I don't know much about them but figured you guy might!

Cheers
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    They are typical of small terriers, if the person is used to terriers or hounds they should be ok with a Parsons.
  4. hayleybella

hayleybella New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    I have a Bitch... And would NEVER EVER have another one.....

as much as I love her she is a pain in the bum!
    She has been easy to train but forgets it all very quickly when that terrier nose gets hold of a scent! never had any problems with her with chidren and she ws really good with other dogs untill she got attacked by another dog now I can't trust her with Dogs she doesn't know.
  5. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie
    Hehe thanks guys - have passed on both comments.
  6. hayleybella

hayleybella New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    sorry my post seems really negative.. They are lovley but typical terriers I suppose!
  7. Toby

Toby New Member

Name:
    Janet
    hi Lottie, as you know i have toby, a PRT. I can only tell you how he is rather than the breed as a whole. In the main he is very well behaved and I must admit this seems to be naturally inbuilt in him rather than my training. He can be left at home alone with no problems whatsoever. His recall is excellent, in fact he is mostly off lead when we go for walks he is so good. However he does not seem to have the usual terrier traits in chasing things, he loves a mad run about but mainly stays with us. In the whole he is fine with other dogs, (not so good if he is on the lead and one approaches), he's had the odd scrappy fight but nothing bad. I'm not entiely trusting of him around children, certainly young ones but this is mainly due to the fact he is not used to them. Mr friend Lauras two boys are 10 & 11 and he is fine with them, but i would definitely watch him round younger children, (but that is not a breed thing just not sure how he is).

I think they are brilliant dogs, very clever little things. Hope that helps a bit.
  8. sjpurt

sjpurt New Member

Name:
    sam
    I have a male call trigger he was an easy pup train, very laid back loves to please can gets on with ewveryone.

its how you bring them up to how they come out and make sure all health test are done as well.
    i have prts for 4yrs but jrts all my life they are great dogs and great fun.
  9. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    A couple in my village have a male (Archie) who is about 18 months old and I have to say he is just gorgeous. I meet them walking him regularly and he is pretty well behaved - there are plenty of rabbits to chase where we walk, but I've never seen this couple having to go looking for Archie - if he does chase the rabbits, he must go straight back to them afterwards (and actually seems more interested in his ball).

He's a real friendly sole - likes meeting people and other dogs but again seems to have reasonable recall - he will go back to his owners pretty much straight away.

Whether he hasn't quite reached the teenage stage yet, I'm uncertain, but I have been really impressed with him so far - a really nice wee dog. They must think so too, as they have just got another - a wee girl.
  10. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I had an entire male prt for 14 years and he was great, very adaptable, naturally well behaved, was fine off lead and very good with other dogs although was feisty when aggravated. I got him when my youngest was about 3 and he was great with the kids. He was a right character with so much personality, happy with his own company and besotted with his family, very easy to train and had a whole range of tricks he loved to perform.
    His only real fault was his love of raiding the bins, he was often found with just his back legs hanging out of the top of the swing bin :roll: Oh that and his penchant for stealing kitkats and scoffing them, wrapper and all :shock:
  11. MissE

MissE

Name:
    Pat
    I have a rescue PRT bitch - and although it took a while to overcome her problems ( which we were aware of when we took her on) she is now a diamond.
    But then I am a terrier enthusiast. I love the feisty characters, I love the fact you have to think to outsmart these little dogs, I love the fact they can be aloof and only be affectionate when they want.
    They are trainable, but the training happens daily - or yes, they can do their own thing. Remember they were bred to work alone on their own initiative, they always have that in them. They were bred to be feisty - and that is always in them. They can be the most amazingly affectionate dogs - but not all of them will be. They can be incredibly high energy dogs, or they can sleep most of the day until something exciting comes along. Every russell is different, yet similar.
    They really are not a dog for everyone.

My own loves kids, loves learning new things - at 8 years old when I got her, she knew one, now at 10 she knows 23.
    She is aloof when she wants, friendly when she wants. She is always friendly to visitors for the first ten minutes or so, then goes off to do her own thing.
    She loves her agility, loves her balls. Have a ball with you and she won't follow any scent, forget the ball and her recall is not 100%
    All training involves giving her a job to do, then she's happy.
    She never even gets a treat unless she "works" for it first : ie, sit, down , play dead. And, she loves that. Give her a treat for no reason and she will more as like spit it out. Make her work and she'll eat it.

Feisty, independent, adorable dogs.
    But, you need to be prepared for one.
  12. Abbey

Abbey New Member

Name:
    Wendy
    My PRT, Holly is 5y 6m and is a joy to live with, she is happy, friendly and always on the go!! She was great with all other dogs until 18m ago when she was badly attacked by a couple of Collies, she met them on a path, lay down and submitted to them and they attacked her anyway. Since then, i have to watch her with dogs she doesnt know that charge up to her..she is defensive and will growl at them..she has never fought and will happily walk with all dogs as long as they just leave her alone. Here are some pics of Holly..
    Bouncing girl!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With best pal, Jake
    [​IMG]
  13. Toby

Toby New Member

Name:
    Janet
    Brilliant pics of holly, she's a lovely girl..
  14. JacekPacek

JacekPacek New Member

Name:
    Nina
    they are brilliant workers and they like to do anything as long excersiseing is involved. either excersising brain or body, preferably both simultaneously :lol:
    seriously, they are lovely dogs. but only as long as you respect their nature of being terriers. if they are left on the couch, they become bored and depressed of even destructive.
    the thing you have to do is to think 5 times over and over again :"why do i want parson russell, working terier?"
    a lot of people are attracted by their bouncy nature. but they are bouncy every day for several hours and not only on sunny weekends. this is something you have to bear in mind when buying parson russell:grin: