Part II on the History of the Borzoi General Chat

Discussion in 'Borzoi' started by lovezois, Aug 2, 2007.

1. lovezois

lovezois Fondly remembered

Name:
    Eunice

Part II on the History of the Borzoi

The history of the Borzoi Part II

The revolution in Russia in 1917 almost wiped out the Borzoi breed. As a symbol of Imperial power many hounds were killed by the Communists. The hounds at Perchino were all shot and the Grand Duke’s house was razed to the ground for not only was the Duke a member of the Imperial family but he had been Commander in Chief of the Russian Army. He escaped to spend the rest of his days in exile in France., but several of the hunt servants were shotfor the crime of caring for the Borzois.

In 1992 a party from the Borzoi Club visited Perchino with some Russian Borzoi owners and their dogs. The photographs they brought back show a village only changed from the photographs in Mr Thomas’ book by years of neglect. Ther oldest inhabitant of the village was the son of one of the huntsmen. His father had been shot with all the hounds left on the estate . He had believed that every Borzoi in t5he world had been murdered that day and wept tears of delight at seeing the breed once again.

Not all hounds were shot by the revolutionaries. In the 1950’s magazine “Riders of the Wind” some letters from an unnamed member of the Imperial Family to an American Borzoi breeder were published.

Dear Madame: I have been ill but received your letter. I am feeling better now and will attempt to answer you.
    I enjoyed very much your amusing accounttd of your experiences in , as you call it , The Dog Game. You seem so enthused about Borzoi that it is a pleasure to read your letters. You asked what happened to out Borzoi. We destroyed them by our own hand; they were shot and killed and buried on our grounds. I myself gave the order for this to be done. This will shock you dear lady but it was a kindness to them. You will understand time was
    running out and we were running for our lives although we did not realise then the full scale of the tragedy about to be played . I came this day to the villa in all haste to destroy or salvage all that I could. It was utmost confusion most had fled before me my friend asked me about the dogs who were howling in their places I said ‘Nothing shall be left for the Bolshevicks to burn and kill’ Our horses were all gone, to the army or for food,, so after a while go ther the dogs’place and when they see us they are quiet. I look at them and they look at me and I know that they are afraid. Borzoi are different from other dogs, I think they know the peril before it comes. There Borzoi are very dirty and hungary as the cowards of servants had not thought of them for many days, it made me very sad. I tell the man to lead them out to the woods and shoot them. I and my friend stood beside our horses and watch the man take them from their place with rope on their necks and lead them away. It gave me courage, dear lady, as I watch the Borzoi walk so proudly to ttheir death in the ruins of their world. When all was done my friend and I went to see thast all were dead and then they were buried where they fell. For 200 years my family took pride in their pack of Hunters. I have not seen a Borzoi since this time but I still feel affection for them;they are a proud race dear lady, a proud race. The Borzoi of others did not fare so well as mine, as some could not liberate them and they were left to the will of the mob.

Some Borzoi did manage to escape the west however :to France,, Holland and Germany in particular. I have been told stories of a Russian lady who became a British Governess who escaped from Russia by putting on the clothes she could finishing with a large coat and pretending that she was just taking her Borzoi out for some exercise. Dr Wegner a German breeder visited Perchino after the Grand Duke had left but before the Bolshevicks arrived and liberated some of the Borzois. One of these was Asmodey Perchino a dog of vast importance to the revival of the breed in Europe after the First World war.

I hope you have enjoyed his brief History of the Borzoi courtesy of Dr Desireee Scott’ in the Book of The Borzoi
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Lovezois, again, a lovely piece of History, and although this breed has never really been of great interest to me, I've really enjoyed reading both parts of this story, in fact I've been waiting for this part :lol:

I must say, Borz are now in my top 5 :lol:
  4. lovezois

Name:
    Eunice
    Glad you enjoyed it Maladay.
  5. Tori

Tori New Member

Name:
    tori
    Thanks for that really interesting reading, i love borzois always have.
  6. lovezois

Name:
    Eunice

Glad you found it interesting part one is under hound an History of the Borzoi in Russia if you want to know what came before the revolution.
    :) :)
  7. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    Gosh, not sure if 'enjoyed' is quite the right word - it was so sad. But I did find it very interesting and am glad I read it - thanks for posting it :)
  8. lovezois

Name:
    Eunice
    Hi Hali know exactly what you mean :) but felt people should be aware of what the breed has come through. Though they are not the only breed to suffer from revolution and war. In Britain during the second World war Dachshounds were stoned in the street and received death threats. Fortunately one particular person saved enough by hiding them at a secret location until after tthe war so Dachies managed to breed again in Britain.

You will probably have guessed that I am quite into some breed histories. Glad you found it interesting if sad.
  9. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    I can understand why, having just read a few snippits of yours :)
    Funny, I was bored stiff by history at school...now, if they had taught me history according to what happened to the dogs and other animals at the time, I'm sure I would have paid far more attention and would have learnt an awful lot more!
  10. lovezois

Name:
    Eunice

Me too Hali;-) ;-) ;-)

Its a bit like poetry at school I was bored [ unless it was Burns who I really enjoyed and still do] but if it had been poems about dogs then that's a different matter.:lol:
  11. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    What a moving tale that was - an interesting read - thanks for posting it.

Really moved me reading it. Felt for the writer on having to make such a decision.
  12. lovezois

Name:
    Eunice

Glad it was of interest. It was not a position I would like to have been placed in to have to make such a decision. I felt for him too.
  13. borzoimom

borzoimom New Member

Name:
    Michelle
    Wonderful information on our treasured breed!!
  14. lovezois

Name:
    Eunice
    Thanks Michelle but the real
    Thanks goes to my friend Desiree Scott who researched and wrote the book
  15. Toby

Toby New Member

Name:
    Janet
    i enjoyed it too (as Hali said if that's the right word), what torment having to shoot your beloved dogs to prevent them from worse suffering. We shall be thankful though that some survived and this beautiful and elegant breed of dogs will be around for always now.

Thanks Eunice, it was most interesting :)
  16. lovezois

Name:
    Eunice
    Thanks Janet glad you appreciated it. I too am so glad the breed survived as I don't know what I would do without my beloved boys.