Pekingese

Discussion in 'Pekingese' started by Susan BATES, Aug 2, 2016.

1. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Yes that’s where it all started, but sadly there are more unwanted dogs today than there ever has been, one only has to look at the rescues that are overflowing with unwanted dogs.

A fact sheet with all the pros & cons should be given but it wont as that might loose them income.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Susan BATES

Susan BATES New Member

Name:
    Susan Bates
    CaroleC likes this.
    Yes I agree with you, it is all about the money, I had no intentions of having this done but the vet said seeing he was having an op anyway that it is best for him to be done, and listed all the reasons why he should be and none why he shouldn't,I wish I had done more research, I took him back to the vets yesterday, they said that having him done should not cause his coat to thin, and they want to do 100's of dollars of tests to see if there is any thing else, so they still make money from it THIS IS CHE IMG_1703.jpg
  4. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I'm sure if I lived in the UK or the US a vet would have probably pressed for me to have Gwylim neutered, but here in Hungary male dogs are left intact unless it's necessary for medical reasons. Gwylim's nearly 3 years old and the subject has never been raised by my vet.

Females, however are normally spayed but most vets prefer to perform the operation only after the 2nd or 3rd season which is something I agree with. After discussing with my vet it was decided that Georgina would be spayed around 18 months old, but as she had two split seasons and also needed a final operation on her eyes rather than put her through two GA's the vet advised doing both ops at the same time and she ended up being spayed at 13 months old.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I am sure that there are more health benefit arguments for neutering females, - apart for the battle to keep their weight under control.
    The coat change problem is interesting, as it doesn't seem to affect all breeds equally. From personal experience the Cavaliers did grow thicker undercoats and shorter fringes after spaying, but as long as they were traditionally groomed, (not scissored), they kept their gloss and colour. Purdy, my Lowchen bitch was still being shown at Champ. shows for a couple of years after being spayed, and Mia and Tweed the Lurchers stayed hand strippable into their teens.
    Merry is my first spayed short coated dog - she does moult constantly, but rolling coats do seem to be a common moan amongst Beagle owners. As I didn't own her before spaying, I can't judge whether this is a consequence.
    Eddie is my first ever castrated male. He was done somewhere around 15 - 18 months, and it had no effect on his coat. It did go a little plushy in 2013, which alerted me to get his thyroid levels checked. Once on thyforon, it soon returned to its original texture. Castration is very common in Obedience circles, but I do now regret having had it done.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Kyra is the only bitch ive owned and had to have her done as she was a rescue, her undercoat went woolly and top coat wavy and she went from a real dark black and tan to an all over golden colour.Have to say she didn’t put on any extra weight and I never changed the amount of food given.

Had to have Heiko done last year due to health problems he had a beautiful coat now its gone and harsh and dryer.

http://www.caninesports.com/uploads/1/5/3/1/15319800/spay_neuter_considerations_2013.pdf
  7. Susan BATES

Susan BATES New Member

Name:
    Susan Bates
    Interesting read , wish i had seen it before