PLEASE HELP!!! Is a Cane Corso X Presa Canario classed as a 'dangerous dog' in UK??? Controversial

Discussion in 'Presa Canario' started by Traceyxxx, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Traceyxxx

Traceyxxx New Member

Name:
    Tracey

PLEASE HELP!!! Is a Cane Corso X Presa Canario classed as a 'dangerous dog' in UK???

I am looking to buy a puppy of this cross, and I am starting to hear stories that BOTH these dogs are on the dangerous dogs list, but I have only found the 'famous 4', but a few links are suggesting that due to inccident in San Fransesco, with woman being killed by 2 Presa Canarios, they are now being added to the list.
    PLEASE HELP!!! If you know anything about these dogs as the stated cross, then please let me know.
    They are really lovely, and looking to get very soon if ALL is ok.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Colin

Colin

Name:
    Colin
    As far as I can tell they are not on the dangerous dogs list.

I have just had a quick look on the net and found nothing to say that they are going to be added to it either. Plus I have found loads of the Cane Corso X Presa Canario puppies for sale.

I would advise that you phone or email the kennel club as they would know more about whats in the pipeline concerning any changing in the law.
  4. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Why buy a mongrel? Why not just get a pedigree dog of the breed that suits you best?
  5. hayleybella

hayleybella New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    wasn't there was a presa needing a new home posted somewhere?

ignore that it was a temporary one.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2007
  6. Tee

Tee New Member

Name:
    Tee lol
    Mongrel??

Anyway, no, neither of those dogs are classed as a particularly dangerous. You're right in that there are four breeds/types on the banned list and as far as I am aware, your puppy would be fine.
  7. Stormey

Stormey New Member

Name:
    Phill
    Come on dawn, the why folk buy crosses/mongrels has been done to death. She asked a simple enough question, not to start a debate on the whys and wherefores of breeding and types of dogs. :grin: ;)
  8. hayleybella

hayleybella New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    Just been having a google and they look very similar in looks size and build o i wouldn't have thought there would be a problem.
  9. basi

basi New Member

Name:
    jenny
    I have just had a google and found a breeder Cane Corsos in the UK so I presume they are not banned. I couldn't find and breeders in the UK for Presa Canarios so not sure about them!
  10. Stormey

Stormey New Member

Name:
    Phill
    I think the banned dogs in the UK are.
    the Pit Bull Terrier
    the Japanese tosa
    the Dogo Argentino
    the Fila Brasileiro
  11. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    or any dogs that are of type of any of the banned breeds so you need to be very careful as to what you are buying because you wont be safe just because it's not on the list.
    Becky
  12. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Totally agree ;)

Hi and welcome to Dogsey.

I agree with Dawn, one of both or neither of those breeds may suit you, so you will need to do some research, however, when you start looking for designer dogs (crossbreeds bred for money) (which usually come without any health testing), you are lurking in unpredicable waters, without knowing health and what the dog will even look like !

I woould do some research on both and see which one suits you the best :mrgreen:
  13. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Neither breed is on the DDA. In certain circles this cross would be classed as a 1st generation 'Bandogge' maybe this is where your confusion lies in regard to being told they are dangerous? I would think long and really hard about purchasing this cross both are strong stubborn breeds, both breeds need firm and consistant training and this particular cross could be a possible recipe of disaster!
  14. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Just out of curiosity why do you want a cross of these breeds? Both are relatively new to the UK and I cannot see what would be achieved by crossing them? Personally if you have not had experience of large powerful wilful dogs then I wouldn't consider a cross nor indeed a pure bred of either of these breeds. If you get it wrong now it is the dog that will suffer when you decide you can't handle it anymore.
    Please think long and hard, dogs are only well behaved and social because of the effort put in by the owner.
    Becky
  15. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Come on Dawn?? What? Somebody asking about the cross of two breeds that NEED experienced owners, and why would they want one? Id question the OP for wanting one and the breeder for breeding them in the first place!
  16. Stormey

Stormey New Member

Name:
    Phill
    She asked about if any were on the banned list. It was answered. I just dont know why you couldnt answer the question that was asked?

I have said a few times why people by crosses/mongrels. But as I also said its been done to death so I am getting involved in any "disscusion" and am bowing out now.
  17. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Questions always lead to other questions and I'm just interested in why to chose a cross of any two breeds rather than the individual breeds themselves. Once you find out why then you can understand.
    Becky
  18. Stormey

Stormey New Member

Name:
    Phill
    They dont always have to, only if you want them to. Why not just say "they are not on the banned list, good luck with the pup if you have any more questions just ask".
  19. Colin

Colin

Name:
    Colin
    I've just come back on this thread as I wanted to know if my response earlier had proved to be correct or not and I can't believe how this thread has moved from the simple question of "Are Cane Corso X Presa Canario classed as a dangerous dog?" to a debate on why is she getting a cross breed.

My first question has got to be "What on earth has it got to do with anyone else what Tracyxxx wants to get". That's like someone telling me that I shouldn't of got my Dobermanns as I didn't know their history, or that all crossbreeds should be banned and put to death at birth as they are not pedigrees and KC registered.

I mean how on earth does this answer the question?
    Dawn you know better than that. How many times have we all been told by Azz in other threads to try to make new members to dogsey welcome, but your post doesn't even answer her question but is just insulting by calling the puppy that she wants to take home and love a mongrel. Plus a mongrel is a dog of unknown decent, whereas she knows the breeds involved, so it's a crossbreed and not a mongrel.

Tracyxxx I'm sorry if some of the answers that have been posted on this thread are not what you were expecting to read, but we are all nice people really.
  20. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    and my answer is they could well be because of type. Don't you actually want to learn why people make the decisions they do?
    Becky
  21. Stormey

Stormey New Member

Name:
    Phill
    Only if the decison is a stupid one, not if they have asked a fair question in polite way, which the op did.