Please tell me about Dobermans General Chat

Discussion in 'Dobermann' started by ClaireandDaisy, Sep 15, 2011.

1. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire

Please tell me about Dobermans

(dobermen?)
    Prince (see below) is a dobe x gsd and I see lots of non-GSD behaviour so I`d be grateful if people with experience of Dobes tell me about them?
    many thanks! :grin:

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    well where shall I start? :)
    What 'behaviours' have you noticed?
    not sure what you need to know but...

Heres a bit to start with; they love nothing more than to be with you and for you to be happy (hence the nick name; velcro dogs) I found with Loui, variety really is the spice of life, sometimes food, toys but always a smile works with training! He likes FUN FUN FUN! They love to free-run and can go and go and go (though mine goes in circles and keeps an eye on me as he whizzes round) I remember talking to someone in an empty park and letting him run, the only other person there didnt have a dog. I said I better get my dog and they looked at him (slightly delerious looking dog in his element; running) then looked at me as if to say; no chance. Simply called him and he turned on his heels and came. So that may be slightly different to the GSD's? No need for balls to run after lol Certainly stamina seems to be a gift with Loui, building up exercise has never been an issue for him. Very quick to pick things up (be careful, have caught Loui turning door key before) Loui loves his trick training too. Don't let the crazy exterior fool you, they are taking it all in alright! Not sure if this is the breed or not but Loui copies a lot. So if we play hide and seek, he finds me, he runs and he hides but then sticks his head out to see if I'm coming lol I think the GSD's prefer to stay closer? but they always have their eye on you.

They have a real sense of humour and are very cheeky! They like to nudge with their little teeth (a favourite is to sneak up on you, nip yer bum and then run away) For mine thievery is a real delight also (when they can then parade..)lol

Lots of talking. If they feel hard done to, they will tell you!

All dobes I have seen out and about have been fairly aloof. Loui is the same. No need to gain affection from strangers! They can also be very protective but perhaps your used to this with the GSD's anyway? Someone has been trying to 'befriend' loui for years, yet he just stands there in a 'spose you touch me if you have to' 'no I dont want your treats!' yet he is not afraid or anything else, and I think this 'wariness' is part of the breed. You see it more as they get older tbh.

Slow to mature; I'd say Loui is only really just at full maturity now and he is almost five!

One thing I would say is that in the 'teen' stage, what may be viewed as 'bad' or 'naughty' or 'daft' is not that the dog doesnt necessarily know what you want but is telling you to lighten up! They are very, very sensitive to their owners. I would say more so than a lot of dogs/breeds IME.

oh, and they like to show off, if you laugh they will do it again LOL

He also likes to have cuddles a lot :)

probably missed out a lot of traits here but I'm not sure what behviours you notice etc....so I may be rambling a lot of stuff here you dont need to know lol
    So I'll check back tomorrow morning :)

PS; teach 'gentle' heads like concrete!
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2011
  4. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I've got 3 and fostered 2 others and they're all a bit different to be honest. All highly intelligent and fast learners but the way they learn tends to vary. Left to their own devices they can be mischievious and up to no good, Milan especially will open cupboards, turn keys in doors etc to get what she wants. I've always found them extremely easy to motivate and train although they can have a very low boredom threshold so need a lot of variety in their training. I don't use treats never found a need for them tbh as they are motivated by fun with a capital F. They have boundless energy but are always happy to doss when required. They have a great sense of humour as a rule and will intentionally do things to get a laugh out of you. Loyal loving comedians really. What behaviours is it he's showing that are non Gsd ?
  5. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Any Dobe I ever met liked to lean on people :)
  6. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    :lol: My Boxer used to lean on me all the time but none of my Dobermanns do although they do like to sit on your feet :roll:
  7. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    oh, loui likes to lean on you if your standing, sit on you if your sitting (on your knee) and also sit his backside on the couch with his front paws on the floor.

In fact he loves to be touching me full stop, cant sit on the knee, sit on the feet, cant sit on the feet, lie on the feet, cant lie on the feet, put a paw on the feet lol

PS; just wondering if you notice more in common with your GSP than your GSD's with Prince?
  8. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    If I'm standing they like to shove their head between my legs, not in a sniffy sort of way cos they shove it right through so their head is jammed between my thighs by their cheeks. they like having their head squashed. Not easy when your only 5'2" and the dog is 27" at the shoulder, Syd frequently lifts me off my feet.
  9. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    :lol: as a puppy Loui used to be VERY curious about long floaty skirts; caught his head up one at the pedestrian crossing once :blush: (shhh! she didnt notice) He also gave a man a 'ouuucchhh sooore onne' doing as you describe :blush: oops! Worst thing was he realised he got some type of reaction so when he seen him again...yep, he done it again :blush: (BTW he does not do that now!)

Loui likes 'upside down cuddles' He will walk up to you and literally hold his head upside down waiting on a hug :lol:
  10. madisondobie

madisondobie New Member

Name:
    madisondobie
    I second most of what Trouble and Dobermann have said especially with the training and the low boredom threshold, they love love love to make you happy.
    all the dobermanns ive known have done that too - madison loves having her ears rubbed with her head between your legs:lol:
  11. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    Loui does the head through legs thing when I'm sitting sometimes; if yours do it try swaying your legs side to side when their head is there, while your sitting, watch the tail :lol: Any other breed and you would think that sounded so cruel but they really love stuff like that dont they!
  12. madisondobie

madisondobie New Member

Name:
    madisondobie
    Yes!! i do that too - they are a strange breed but once you've had one you are hooked (my second one should be coming home in just over 5 weeks) they are such tactile dogs and love being made a fuss of.
  13. EgyptGal

EgyptGal New Member

Name:
    SHARON
    Our local pub has one as a pet he is let in when it's quiet and comes to say hello ,ended up sitting next to me on the chair ...he was looking down on me so tall, even in the sitting position:lol: he likes having a fuss.
  14. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    He seems to have more Dobe character than GSD - although he was rehomed twice because they said he was guarding. :? He hasn`t shown any signs of that here but then he`d have to join the queue. :roll:

He is less sensitive / nervy than a GSD . He becomes mulish quite often (stubbornly non-responsive) - that could be his age too - and the lack of training. We`re getting there.
    Thankyou all for your comments.
  15. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    I think it will have a lot to do with youth but partly I have found that if I move too fast in training (I.e. be a silly human and 'skip a step'/move too fast) Loui will almost try to 'diffuse' things by acting silly. Less and less as he matured but I think this is perhaps a breed trait, and partly because they like to tell you its not fun enough/not what they want to do LOL
    I taught 'calm' when Loui had a spell like that (probably around about 10-12 months-ish) and it worked a treat! So it may be helpful for you?
    I found it came out in Loui more so as he got older, on the whole he is quiet and settled but he goes through spells where he feels the need to complain about the lack of attention from management lol
    I think the two comments above may be telling? Left to their own devices a dobe will probably become very guardy and territorial and they love attention from their owners more than some. So perhaps he just hasn't quite had the type of attention needed elsewhere, even if 'well intentioned'? so goes from territorial and guardy in one place to mugging people in another/out with someone else? Probably a lot of puppiness in there too :) Another thing I have noticed is that if someone acts 'stern' and too 'authorative' (sp? even a word? lol) instead of becoming fearful or nervy, they will meet head on!! So perhaps its the way others have 'approached' him that may have seemed like 'resource guarding' compared to how you are with him :)
    Thats something I have noticed between dobes and GSD too.
  16. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    PS; he sounds great!
  17. Dobermonkey

Dobermonkey New Member

Name:
    Claire
    Ahh... :) all so familiar. T has graduated from reversing bum onto sofa to sitting on the arm next to me like a parrot and then walks across me and plonks his bum down on my lap and wriggles backwards. when we are out with the horses/bike he gets v competitive and will run just fast enough to keep infront and keep checking back over his shoulder whilst weaving in front of us with a 'yeah yeah ive got plenty more gears here love!'

I call him my Attention Deficit Dog he is hysterical with his ironing board shoving and sly bum nips. Duvet monster wrestling etc.

One of the best parts of the day is coming home from work to the 'parade' (be it a sock/broom/jacket) no cuddles allowed until the parade is over! the 'dont touch me' glance and swerve is brill!

Am sure the vocal range will develop into full on chewbacca impressions in time. Does he do the writhing around on his back with front paws clamped round your arm/leg being terribly 'vicious'? :)
  18. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    haha, yeh mine's a show off too :lol:
    same here on arriving home, I get a big smile, he goes for a pee then comes in and grabs something and parades around :lol: THEN its cuddle time :lol:

Loui does the writhing around thing too but he just looks like an overgrown cat (he holds the cat toy in his paws, which he has stolen so parades around after it has killed him lol) He does it with his blanket too tho :lol: