Polish Lowland Sheepdog Discussions

Discussion in 'Polish Lowland Sheepdog' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Discussion Thread

Discussion Thread New Member

Polish Lowland Sheepdog

Polish Lowland Sheepdog
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. harry

harry New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Found this old stump of a thread languishing - I met one of these a while ago and absolutely fell in love. There was one used in a training article in 'Your Dogs' too and they look fantastic. I've googled a few breeders sites, but wanted to ask here too - does anyone have personal experience of this breed - what are they like? Temperament, activity level, trainability, amount of grooming etc?
  4. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    never even heard of one:blush:

i need to get out more:lol:
  5. Katie23

Katie23 New Member

Name:
    ive never heard of this breed either
  6. harry

harry New Member

Name:
    Emma
  7. BrandieSnap

BrandieSnap New Member

Name:
    Suzie
    They are lovely looking dogs. I fell in love after seeing Digby in Your Dog magazine :)

I'm sure there is someone on here who owns one, try searching the members list :)
  8. Lucyand Tess

Lucyand Tess New Member

Name:
    Lucy
    Hi,

I'm new and registered because i saw your thread, i own a 5month old Polish Lowland Sheepdog bitch (Aka PON). PON's are a wonderful breed though are very willful and need training from a very young age. They also need grooming everyday when they are young, which then goes to a full groom around once a week when they get their adult coat.

As they are long haired you need to remember that they they drink water goes everywhere because of there long beards also if they have soft stools it easily gets stuck in they coat which i can tell you isn't pleasent when you wake up first thing.

Other than that i love my PON and would say if you are happy to spend time grooming, training and walking miles a PON is a perfect companion.
  9. Berger

Berger New Member

Name:
    Nic
    Hi and welcome. Would love to see some pics xx
  10. Lucyand Tess

Lucyand Tess New Member

Name:
    Lucy
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the welcome.

i have just tried to upload a pic so apologies if it hasn't come through.
  11. harry

harry New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Hiya!

Great to 'meet' a PON owner!

How active is your dog - how much exercise does the need/will she take? What about training - has she been good to train? Sorry so many questions lol!!! I've found that where I'm moving to in a few months there is a PON breeder in the same town so I'm planning on making contact to ask to visit her dogs and find out more about the breed too.

I'd love to see pics too :) to upload photos you need to use a hosting site such as photobucket www.photobucket.com, you upload the photos to there and then can post them in the thread using tags.

Em
  12. running cloud

running cloud New Member

Name:
    Maggie
    Welcome to Lucy & Tess from Maggie, Chloe Tala & Caspa

[​IMG]
  13. Lucyand Tess

Lucyand Tess New Member

Name:
    Lucy
    Hi,

Tess requires around two walks a day i tend to give her a short walk in the morning and then a longer one in the afternoon this however still doesn't tirer her out and she still wants more when we get home. When she is older she will have two or three long walks a day. Like all working dogs PONs require alot of mental stimulation, i will be enroling Tess in agility when she is a year old.

I would say she is good to train as in Poland they are bred to herd sheep and to think for themselves so they are very clever, the one thing PONs are known for and i can say it is very true is that they are very very wilful and sometimes it can take 50 "downs" before they think its worth their while to do it.

What breeder are you going to?

You may already be aware of this but as PONs are still quite a rare breed here the waiting lists can be anything from 2 years to 6 months, i was on 3 waiting lists for 1 and a half years before Tess was available.

I have posted 3 pics of Tess when she was 3 months old, she has doubled in size and weight now so when i get more recent ones i will post them too.

Luc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. harry

harry New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Aw she is gorgeous!!

I don't think a PON will be the dog i get next year but it's definitely a breed I'm keeping in mind for the future, I know I'll probably have to wait for one, the same as my other wishlist breed (NSDTR).

I haven't contacted the breeder yet but I just found her website and noticed she was in Caerphilly which is where we're moving, so I thought I'd get in touch when we move to ask to meet her dogs and find out more about the breed.
  15. Vicky@Eukanuba

Vicky@Eukanuba New Member

Name:
    Vicky
    Hi, it's great to see that people are interested in Polish Lowland Sheepdogs as they are a great breed and I do not see many in the UK! Frida has been brilliant from the first day we had her (she was 12 weeks old and already housetrained :shock: !) but I think that is also due to her breeders being very committed. She is such a clever and lively dog! She definitely needs a lot of mental and physical stimulation. I would love to show you more pictures of her but I have not managed to upload any to photobucket yet.

Lucy - Tess is gorgeous!:007:
  16. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Please please can we have more pictures of these lovely dogs :grin: I know very little about them but think they are lovely.
  17. Vicky@Eukanuba

Vicky@Eukanuba New Member

Name:
    Vicky
    I hope this works!

This is a picture of Frida enjoying the snow.

[​IMG]

This is a picture taken last year in April when she was still a puppy:
    [​IMG]

I should really download more recent ones from my camera!
  18. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    She is beautiful, what a lovely looking dog...more pics please!
  19. SusanfromPoland

SusanfromPoland New Member

Name:
    Zuzanna
    I know tih pos is SOOOO old!!

But i'm also the PON

I live in Poland!!

My god - Gruszka is soooo amazing!!
    Exactly she is pregnant now ;)
    So good for familys but right these gods nead lots of work (hair) and tepmerament training,

But they learn sooo fast just look!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N8H9-HAAqw

And look at my pictures if you are interested in!

I'm will answer all youre questions ;)