Portuguese Podengo - Has anyone else got experience of this breed? General Chat

Discussion in 'Portuguese Podengo' started by Loki's mum, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill

Portuguese Podengo - Has anyone else got experience of this breed?

At ringcraft this week there was a lady with two Podengos, one smooth coated and one wiry coated. I was very taken with these little dogs, they were lovely. Has anyone else got experience of this breed? I have a friend who has Estrelas who is planning on getting a Podengo, but these were the first ones I had seen in the flesh. Pictures don't do them justice.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. JIMMY LAW

JIMMY LAW New Member

Name:
    JIM
    There was me thinking that the Beagle was the smallest in the hound group but the Pequeno is only coming in at 4/5kgs. So this breed is much smaller.
  4. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    yep, they are about the size of a mini jack russell. A lot smaller than Beagles.
  5. cesky2000

cesky2000 New Member

Name:
    Sheila
    And Mini Dachshunds are far smaller still :) :)

I only know one and he's a bad-tempered, noisy little so-and-so. If you didn't know how much he had cost you would assume he was a prick-eared Jack Russell :(
  6. border pop

border pop New Member

Name:
    BORDERPOP
    if your interested, the best person to speak to is Betty Judge:grin:
  7. gizooty

gizooty New Member

Name:
    amanda
    lol.. people say my mutt A-zeaf looks like a bigger podengo.. soo funny when i say ehhh no hes just a mongrel
  8. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    I've been looking at this breed for a while, I think they sound like great little dogs, and saw a few dogs from the plushcourt kennel that I liked, and then I found out that the kennels are not really that far away from me :mrgreen: but they are such amazing little dogs.
  9. Findley

Findley New Member

Name:
    chris
    They are a Warren Hound bred for rabbiting getting very popular they have show classes.
  10. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    i know nothing about them, but think they are sooooo cute!
  11. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    my friend should be getting her pup in about six weeks. Seen some pics, they are lovely, just fingers crossed they turn out ok. We will hopefully be getting one in a couple of years too.
  12. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I honestly think they look like cross Jack Russells! Sorry, they do little for me at all, we board "Podengo's" all the time, mostly out of the local rescue.
  13. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    That's the beauty of having such a variety of dog breeds though isn't it? There's something for everyone. I like them, I think they are cracking little dogs, and yes they do remind me of JRTs too. It would be boring if we all liked the same thing wouldn't it?
  14. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Just thought I'd ask this on here, does anyone know if any Podengo Grande or Podengo Medio are in the UK? The podengo Grande and Podengo Medio are more my size of dog :D and of course a Podengo Medio would look good with a Podenco Andaluz although I think both could be a nightmare to own with both being bred for hunting, I don't think that either would make a easy house pet, but they sure are gorgeous, and I can always dream :mrgreen:
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2010
  15. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    just the pequino so far in the uk. I daresay it's much the ame as owning any high prey drive dog. You just got to be aware of that, that's all.
  16. mad4foxhounds

mad4foxhounds New Member

Name:
    jackie
    thay have show classes as betty judge has like 30 entered at a show in one go, so no wounder they got classes. betty bred old englishs a while ago, if i remember she was talking to us @ a show saying how many she had at that time, and how the staff looked at them, looking at them in the ring, def look more like terriers, and ones ive seen in the rings at like terriers too,
  17. mad4foxhounds

mad4foxhounds New Member

Name:
    jackie
    last year at discover dogs (earls court ) there was a standard one smooth coated did look more like a sight hound, did prefer it to the little ones,