Portuguese Water Dog owners RL experience Discussions

Discussion in 'Portuguese Water Dog' started by DavidC, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Baileys Blind

Baileys Blind New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Oooh excellent info thread - This breed is definatley on my list of what next - I've always had rescue cross breeds and definatley fancy a pedigree next :lol: From what I've read they have a little bit of everything I love in a dog :lol: And with the way my dogs are shedding at the moment the low shed of these is an extra bonus :lol:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. DavidC

DavidC New Member

Name:
    David
    Now I haven't had a dog before, but I think the lack of/low shedding is a myth, or just hit n miss. This is 24 hours worth, and it's similar every day. lol

Is this more or less than a typical dog?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Ah...! That looks like a lot ha ha! Black hair and light carpet... uh oh :D! He is gorgeous! What a sweetheart :)
  5. Baileys Blind

Baileys Blind New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Compared to what I get on a daily basis from 2 heavy shedding dogs that looks like bliss and my vaccuum is definatley breathing a sigh of relief :lol:
  6. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Gosh-I'm surprised! I thought they would be a non-shedding breed like my Kerries.:shock:
  7. border pop

border pop New Member

Name:
    BORDERPOP
    Do you brush him every day? All dogs will cast a few hairs, even non-sheding breeds I've never had my hands on a porty so am unsure what the coat texture is like but would guess that the majority of the 'fleece' in the coat could be slickered out rather than dropping onto your light coloured carpets:lol:
    ps, he's very cute
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2011
  8. WheatenDaneMom

WheatenDaneMom New Member

Name:
    Michelle
    I have never actually met a PWD although I knew a gentleman who owned two and loved them.... but I do LOVE THEM... especially when they get a show cut...

[​IMG]
  9. WheatenDaneMom

Name:
    Michelle
    And as for the labradoodle bit... we have the same problem with our wheaten...

People think he's a "Teddy Bear" (poodle x Bishon Frise mix... cross with a shih zhu).

*roll eyes*
  10. border pop

border pop New Member

Name:
    BORDERPOP
    Do you get blonde schnauzer too? :roll: :lol:
  11. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    We met a Wheaton the other day in "Pets at Home"-he was gorgeous, slightly bigger than my male Kerry.
  12. WheatenDaneMom

Name:
    Michelle
    When he's an adult I am determined to master his show coat so that he won't look like TOO MANY different breeds ;) I don't get the schnauzer question yet - he's still a puppy - but I am sure one day I will :)

We also get asked if our Dane is a Mastiff (maybe because he has natural ears?) Sometimes you just want to ask people if they even know what dogs look like! If you don't know say "what breed is he?" and stop guessing :p
  13. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Azz likes this.
    I know this is an old thread, but will update it with a couple of pics of my PWD
    6mths old...
    [​IMG]

Figo 7mths old

[​IMG]
  14. alice0675

alice0675 New Member

Name:
    Ali
    I've never met one of these dogs in the flesh but I'm impressed with your photo's. Hope to meet some at Crufts :023:
  15. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Azz likes this.
    Well, I'm a first time dog owner but have now had my beautiful Portie, Crusoe, for four years. Here's myexperience of this amazing breed. They have a spirit which is indescribable. They are soo intelligent, loyal and loving. All they ask for is to be intensely involved in your life. Anything less would mean an unhappy Portie. What you get back is awe-inspiring. They will be your true soul-mate. They will make you laugh every day and they will intuitively know how you feel. We all love our dogs but I can hardly imagine another such characterful breed who reaches the depths of your heart. Bware though! PWDs need
  16. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Crusoe sounds lovely Curly (what a brill name too!) please post a thread with some photos in it :D
  17. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Hi Azz, I'm loving your website but so frustrated that I keep getting kicked out. Hence the unfinished message! Also, won't let me download photo. I'll keep trying... Yes, you can tell, I'm in love with my boy but others say he's special too. Hes also in Advanced Obedience (did the xmasdance!) , does Agility, and is aTherapy dog. Most of all, he loves swimming here in the seain B'mth. My husband is equally besotted.Wil now try photo
  18. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Azz likes this.
    IMG_0085.JPG IMAG0735-2.jpg IMAG0735-2.jpg
  19. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Azz likes this.
    2013-10-13 09.05.44-2.jpg IMG_0089.JPG