Portuguese Water Dog owners RL experience Discussions

Discussion in 'Portuguese Water Dog' started by DavidC, Jun 29, 2011.

1. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    ok, no more photos, promise!! Just wanted to say, beware tho, this is a strong, high energy breed. They need good mental and physical stimulation - then they are a dream. Still tho, they are calm and polite around the house. (after the first 18 months!)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Thank you, Anne. How we love our dogs, eh?!
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Azz likes this.
    [
    You have described them to a tee, Figo is my first, (had Boxers before) and I never thought I see another breed that is as characterful as them, but boy do does the portie live up to them... the intelligence , spirit and wilfulness is indescribable, they don't seem to have an off switch, by this I don't mean they are running crazy , but always on alert, they seem to sleep with one eye open ready to investigate at any noise they hear.
    From what I am told the boys are more loving and mardy than the girls, they girls can be a bit aloof with strangers and can be a little bit more independent, where as the boys stick to you like glue...

Love them to bits.........
  5. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I think thats very important, you could easily be fooled because its a medium sized breed its a moderate dog to own, but the energy they have along with a wilful nature , can make for a wrong dog in unsuspecting hands....add to that the intelligence you have a breed that needs a firm consistent owner. and one that is up to the amount of exercise this breed needs.
  6. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Lovely to speak to a fellow Portie owner! My mantra is from that blue & white portie book v(forgot author!) - Consistent, Persistent, Insistent!!
  7. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Sorry just noticed that post. Looks like you got it sorted now tho :D

Next thing to do is post a dedicated photo thread for Curly - so everyone else can see the lovely boy :D (People often keep an eye out for the 'photo' category in the latest posts page)
  8. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Azz likes this.
    Tks,Azz, I will now investigate how to do this!!