Portuguese Water Dog popularity soared? Questions

Discussion in 'Portuguese Water Dog' started by Azz, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz

Portuguese Water Dog popularity soared?

Wonder if there are any figures on the Obama effect :lol: how many more litters are being registered a year since they got theirs?

Must say I am glad, they are a stunning breed :049:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Im not sure about that Azz, maybe in the US it may have effected the breed, but then they are very popular there anyway, before Obama got his .

Here not so much, they are still a numerically small breed (and I hope this stays) you don't see many in rescue, which is good, they are a hidden gem, and long may that last.

breeders here are very protective of the breed and don't want them to become to popular , purely due to misuse of the breed .

I am getting the feeling you are smitten Azz..... maybe its the breed is for you, shame you cant meet a few..
  4. Bonni

Bonni Member

Name:
    Bonni
    I haven't seen any around here so would echo what Jackie has said, maybe you are just noticing them more on forums?
  5. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Godo point there - it's possible I am just noticing them more now. I haven't seen any around here either - maybe I will be the first :D

I am smitten Jackie... just wish they didn't need grooming - everything else about them sounds perfect!
  6. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Azz likes this.
    Made comment on popularity on the training thread.
    Re. grooming, couldn't argue they're not high maintenance. Loose wavy coats (like Crusoe's - and Figo's Jackie?) are definitely easier to maintain than curly coats (which pick up and hold everything and can matt more viciously). Also, brushing every couple of days makes life a lot easier and is less time-consuming than trying to sort out a neglected coat later. Or, just budget for really regular trip to the groomers, just for baths! My breeder commented that it wouldn't matter (to the skin) if Porties were bathed every day. Seems their skin and hair is not like most breeds in terms of "losing its oil" with over-bathing
  7. PWDLouis

PWDLouis New Member

Name:
    Susan
    Azz likes this.
    I am on the west coast of the United States and I also found that most of the breeders we contacted were very protective of the breed. I was surprised that there were quite a few in my state alone though. The breeder we ended up with seemed to truly have a love for the breed. She's a groomer that became fascinated with the breed when she met one 10 years ago. She shows her dogs but you could tell they were important members of her family.

I thought it was adorable that she had the litter pups clipped in a lion trim when we visited them at 7 weeks. This isn't our Louis...he was in a retriever cut since he has the curly coat. So cute![​IMG]