Potential Bull Terrier Owner - Any hints? Introductions

Discussion in 'Bull Terrier' started by Wessel Gordon, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Wessel Gordon

Wessel Gordon New Member

Name:
    Wessel Gordon

Potential Bull Terrier Owner - Any hints?

Hi everyone

I have owned dogs for most of my 46 years but never a Bull Terrier (I currently have an Alsation/Collie cross and a Jack Russell).

We recently had some fencing replaced and the neighbor have a Bull Terrier male as a watchdog that somehow found a gap in the fence that no human can spot and he ended up with us for the past few days. The dog fits in with the household except for a minor incident or two with the cats that got sorted out immediately by me (but mostly the cats themselves, lol). I am currently negotiating taking over the dog since he fits in and is no use as a watch dog if he's here all the time.

My question is: is there any behavior/health issues I need to be aware of?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I assume you're talking about the English Bull Terrier and not the Staffordshire?

Staffies are very common round here, but I only know one English Bull Terrier. He is absolutely gorgeous with a wonderful temperament. I had always thought they were unreliable around other dogs, but the one I know is fine. He is a white one, and has some sort of skin problem. I know that there is also a problem with deafness with some, but I'm sure you would have noticed if there was any problem with yours!

Hopefully someone else on the forum will know more about them and will be along with their comments!
  4. Wessel Gordon

Wessel Gordon New Member

Name:
    Wessel Gordon
    Janet,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am referring to the English Bull Terrier. Staffies are very common around here as well but as you mentioned they're not the most well-mannered breed with other dogs.

I noticed in several sources that they have potential hearing and skin issues but this one's hearing is apparently perfect since it came to investigate what's going if I moved close to the fence while it was still next door. I haven't noticed any skin issues yet.

He's still a young gentleman, judging by the teeth, so it's still possible to steer his behavior in the right direction if needed.

Bubbles (the name his current owner gave him) is black with a white ''collar'' over his front legs and shoulders and black patches over his ears and eyes with a white muzzle. I've seen some striking looking dogs before but it's by far the most attractive EBT I've seen.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    He sounds very attractive so it will be nice to see some pictures of him.

But, "Bubbles" for a male EBT? Sorry but that made me laugh!
  6. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    He sounds a very good looking dog. Over the years the ones I have seen have always been white or brindle - the black and white sounds very attractive.

The only other thing I can think of about the one I see on our dog walks is that his recall is not very good! Perhaps that is just lack of training.

Hope you'll be able to post photos in the future!
  7. Wessel Gordon

Wessel Gordon New Member

Name:
    Wessel Gordon
    Malka

That was exactly my first reaction: the name-giver was either very drunk or had a out-date sense of something I don't understand.

If my negotiations with the current owner goes according to plan the first thing I'm doing is changing the name to something more dignified like Zorro (because of the ear/eye patches). But any suggestions for a name would be welcome.

I'll try and get some pictures today but I ask forgiveness in advance: we're in the middle of rainy season so he's not the cleanest he's ever been and, frankly a dog being a dog, likes wet earth.