Presa Canario - heading for the DDA list? Discussions

Discussion in 'Presa Canario' started by Abbas_786, Feb 9, 2006.

1. micki

micki

Julie i think ud agree that some off these breeds in the wrong hands could b extremely dangerous.I shudder to think what would happen if some mindless yob had my Benson as a status symbol to "look hard"..
    Its not about taking away choice,if anyone wants to own a dog that is capable of seriously damaging someone if owned by the wrong kind of owner then to b registered somehow wouldnt be a bad thing. it may save alot of dogs from being nothing more than a badge.. I wouldnt mind being registered as my friend didnt mind going thru certain steps to own a gun a few years back.. a mini yorkie might just undo my shoe laces if he tries, a dog like my Benson would take my leg off.. Big difference.. same applies to someone just passing their driving test.. Fiesta they can b insured on but a 4x4 they have no chance,,, its possible harm reduction.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. juliekelham

juliekelham

Name:
    julie
    mick, just dont go there,that law happened with the pitbulls they had to be licenced ,insured abd muzzled in public and all that law done was punished tbe innocent.any dog that looked like a pitbull type got seized and distroyed,including a labrador x and a great dane x.i also know of two people who commited suiside after ther pets were seized and destroyed.
    punish the bad owners not the breeds
  4. micki

micki

Julie i agree but if they were registered then hopefully less would b in the wrong hands. Its only 4 weeks since my son and i were out with our dogs when they were attacked by two large Bull breeds that were off their leads in a public place.We keep our dogs leashed coz we know they are aggresive but theses were off the leads and out of control. Both were on my mastiff until one turned its attention to my sons GSD bitch and jumped on her. we couldnt seperate them for wot seemed ages,i was so afraid for my dogs and the risk to my 14yr old son.. i reported it coz if we'd been out with our NI orreyhound instead im almost certain have lost my dog, if not it would've been seriously savaged.We were lucky with regards to having the 2 dogs that we had,although my Mastiff did recieve some puncture wounds to his face.. wot if this had been my mum out with her Yorkie?.. legislation would stop alot of these idiots owning these dogs to just look hard. My son is worried for his Dog everytime we're out now and that shouldnt happen.Im fully prepared tho incase it happens again tho, i'll dio anything to protect my dogs as i know they would me.
  5. juliekelham

juliekelham

Name:
    julie
    mick thats a horrible experiance to have to go through and i do sympathise with you and understand were your saying.but sorry still disagree compleatly with what you say,no breed should be singled out for licences. over the last fifteen years ive been to several court cases involving dogs that got seized due to the way they look[not one of theres dogs had done anything wrong],but some expert witness [who was getting paid a lot of money to go to court]said it was a pitbull type.
    there was three men in particular that set there self up a career as expert witnesses,corse they never got paid a penny if they went to look at a dog and it was not of the type,hence most were then branded pitbull type.
  6. micki

micki

Well julie we'll just have to agree to differ on this. im certainly not gonna argue with u.
  7. micki

micki

maybe licences to bread them???? i got more sense than to argue with u jue :lol:
  8. micki

micki

That was supposed to say BREED :lol:
  9. juliekelham

juliekelham

Name:
    julie
    have been told today that papers are going to refuse to advertise these and american bulldogs,and any crosses of this type
  10. Lizzy

Lizzy New Member

"have been told today that papers are going to refuse to advertise these and american bulldogs,and any crosses of this type"

Brilliant news!
  11. micki

micki

At least it mite stop some of the idiots buying them.. Theres prob a few visited ere,.
  12. AxlAndChaos

AxlAndChaos New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    Not at all julie, merely as a means of making sure dogs dont fall into the wrong hands, like people who only want a dog because it looks mean or whatever, and not just for "bully" breeds, but all owners who want any dog. Ive owned so called "bully" breeds and i know for a fact they are not what the news makes them out to be, i just think it would help make people more responsible when considering getting a dog, the two i have just now are mutts, but id glady be willing to sign papers or register them at the police station or whatever for them because whatever they do is my fault, how ive brought them up, not there own fault (sorry for the late reply, im a bit on the slow side :grin: )
  13. Missysmum

Missysmum New Member

Name:
    Suzanne
    Not long after I got my Staffie, I was walking her in the grounds of an estate. This is open to the public and loads of people walk their dogs there. My Staffie was 18 months old and on a lead. I'd only had her a week so kept her on a lead all the time to begin with. Anyway, we were minding our own business when a man with a Border Collie turned and walked towards us. The Collie saw my Staffie, came charging towards us and ATTACKED my young, under control, on a lead Staffie, growling, snarling and biting at her. The man didn't call his dog off, or even tell it off . He just kept walking with not even an apology ! Bearing in mind this was a huge estate, why did he walk towards us as he obviously knew his dog is like that. This is not the action af a RESPONSIBLE dog owner. Moral of the story is that ANY BREED of dog can be dangerous in the wrong hands, not just the Bull Breeds. p.s. This happened in front of my Sister who had her 4 year old daughter with her. My Staffie lay on the ground in submission while the BORDER COLLIE ATTACKED her !!!!!
  14. duboing

duboing New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    I was attacked by a rottie while sitting in the park one day - well actually, it came and tried to sit on my knee and give me lots of slobbery kisses!!! I've met kittens more lethal than that!

Personally I think all dogs (or rather all dog owners) should be licensed and registered. As somebody said, they all have teeth (dogs and owners!!!), and they all have predatory instincts. But if puppies are so aggressive when so young, I would say it has more to do with their traumatic upbringing than their genetic make-up. Put the bad owners/breeders to sleep!
  15. Mutley

Mutley New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    My mum and Dad had a Golden Retriever X from a rescue home before they had Stanley the Staffie. The Retriever was purfect in the house but when out she would try to attack people????:shock:
    All I could think was what has this dog gone through to be like this! What had happend to her? She was out of control! This just shows that it's not the breed but how it has been trained or what it has experienced!:-(
    She proved to be too much and unfortunatley had to be re-homed.
    Stanley has been with us from a puppy and is just great! Very trustworthy and soft. I've nicknamed him Mister Stinky (for obvious reasons). :blush:
    I'm not knocking rescue dogs, we have had some lovely ones that have been great companions. Just sometimes the history isn't known and if you have a dog from a puppy you know all the background.

[​IMG]
    1st attempt at posting pic so appologies if it doesn't work!
  16. IsoChick

IsoChick New Member

Name:
    Shelley
    I think that all dog owners & dogs, no matter what breed etc, should be registered somewhere...

If it wasn't for the cost, I would say bring back dog licences. Although you are always going to get people who don't register/get licenced etc I suppose :(
  17. darasa

darasa New Member

Hi all
    I have done some reading about this breed since the subject came up before about them.. and frankly.. handing these dogs to the wrong people is like giving a gun to a child and being shocked if someone gets shot!

Presa Canarios have been bred for generations to be the powerful aggresive dogs that they are now, it is not a fluke or bad luck if one of these dogs is aggressive.. it is what they have been bred to do .. it is their nature.. and it must take a very dedicated and knowledgable owner to train those instincts from any dog!

Having said that I do NOT think they should be banned as in the right hands they make fantastic loyal and devoted family pets... I do think that these dogs and owners should be licensed,it is one way to protect these dogs from a ban ... not that it will happen because it's cheaper to ban them! Licensing them (and any dog) will stop them falling into the wrong hands... with the potential fallout we see in the press... also I don't think that there is anything wrong with owners acknowledging that some breeds are more aggressive than others .... the fact is that some dogs are naturally more aggresive than others

BUT I also believe that all dogs, owners and breeders should have to be licensed.. not just the potential "baby eaters" Licensing in my opinion should be in place to protect dogs from crappy owners/breeders...

I would have no problem licensing myself and my dog if that was what was required of me...I don't think it removes choice about what breed you get.. it may make some people think twice about their choices but if they can be so easily put off maybe they are not the right type of owner for this breed of dog....
    Rachel

PS hiding behind the sofa to avoid the rotten eggs thrown at me;-)
  18. jap

jap New Member

I would like to make you any offer DARASA.........

Come to my home and see my "powerful aggressive dogs" or I will bring them to you.

Instead of reading about them. Slaughter the breed once you have met it. You should not judge a book by its cover.

I have the previledge of being allowed to belong to this pack. I own 4 presa/dogo's 1 rottie and 1 bandog.

There is not a nasty bone in any of my dogs, there is only one female who has territory issues......Don't enter my home unless invited.

I have no issue with my breeds being licensed, before it was stopped all of my dogs were (rotties), as for now, I do my best all 15 of my dogs/pups are chipped, tattooed and insured.

I am sorry if this upsets anyone but I am very passionate about people being allowed to have freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I do not condem other breeds, I am not a yob, I am a mum with two son's 6 dogs, 2 bengals,
    a gecko and a cameleon.

It is, I am afraid US, as human beings we just seem to have it in us to be bitchy, nasty, to want to hurt, to kill and because there are laws that stop us from doing this, we find the next best thing to do it for us - animals, they have no voice, cannot say "I don't want to do/hurt that person/thing we wind the dogs up so much that in the end they become what people read "Powerful Aggressive Dogs"

Take a look a my powerful aggressive dogs, sitting with the cats, playing with the children, allowing us to dress them up. I have not trained anything out of my dogs. I just love them, I spoil them, they are my babies!!!

We pick on people because of religion or colour. Now we pick on breeds.

I want to own this breed because it is what I want to do. This world is not perfect and I understand that, but you have more chance of your child being molested by some A*****e than being bitten by this breed. "BabyEaters"
    HOW DARE YOU!!!!!

You read a book/newspaper/internet link and think you know all about my breed. You have just done exactly what the papers want read a book/newspaper/internet link and formed an opinion. HOW WEAK MINDED YOU ARE. Are you that naive that you believe what is in a book/newspaper/internet link. How many written words are against this breed??
    I don't know. How many are for this breed?? I don't know.
    I don't believe everything I read. I believe in seeing it.

Jane
  19. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Could you be then NOT producing Presa's with the correct temperament? They are in fact a guard dog with incredibly heightened guarding abilities.

For what its worth I like the breed a lot, as I do a decent Cane Corso, just wondered what breeding qualities you were looking for if you state only one of your dogs has "Issues" when I would of thought "Don't enter my home unless invited." was typical of a Presa?
    Dawn.
  20. darasa

darasa New Member

In my response to this Rant I will ask that you go back and read my post again...

Where would You suggest that someone finds out about a particular breed.. NOT books, NOT internet, then where??? I have read loads about them and it is all pretty well balanced, long lists of things in favour of them but as I stressed in my original post In the Right Hands I'm weak minded for researching a breed in many ways a long time before posting an opinion about it, because I have not met a Presa doesn't mean that I am not capable of forming an intelligent opinion based on the information I have found! And if you are of the opinion that they were not bred to be powerful aggresive dogs then what can I say, maybe I'm not the one who is weak minded!

You have clearly missed or ignored the fact that I stated that these dogs in the right hands make fantastic loyal and devoted family pets..and your own posts agrees with that fact!!

I cannot find anywhere where I have "slaughtered this breed" my post is and was primarily about responsible ownership and the licensing of this breed (and all breeds) to protect them from the very abuse you say about!

NOTE the inverted commas around "baby eater" meaning that I was quoting the title from elsewhere!

As for your opinion that I'm a weak minded, naive, tabliod reading fool ... OK...

Rachel
  21. duboing

duboing New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    Bring it on Rachel!:grin: My sentiments exactly!