Pros and Cons...Northern Inuit Discussions

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by x_rose_x, Dec 8, 2006.

1. x_rose_x

x_rose_x New Member

Name:
    Megan

Pros and Cons...Northern Inuit

hi we are thinking of getting a NI well we probaly are...just waiting for dad to say yes to having a 2nd dog...as he said he had to think about it... but he will probs say yes...

anyways im just wondering what the pros and cons of theses dogs are, what they are like as pets...are they barkers etc.
    please be honest as it dosent matter what there cons are as we will be getting one if my dad says yes to a 2nd dog

so you couold split it into
    Pros
    abdfkndskfnskfnsdf
    and then
    cons
    jnjfdsdmfklsd

im sure you all know what i mean...thanks everyone
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Why do you want one and what do you plan to do with it - may help work out pros and cons appropriate to you :)
  4. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Hi Rose - NIs are beautiful dogs and I'm sure you would be very happy with one but I think you should seriously consider the cons before you make a decision about any dog.:grin:

I'll see if I can dig out some posts for you but I'm sure someone will come along who owns a NI. I have a Ute which are similar but have been developed differently.
  5. x_rose_x

x_rose_x New Member

Name:
    Megan
    we want one as my mum has always wanted a dog like that (mals,sibes,sled dogs bascially) but NI seem to have better temperments and more suited to family life compared to most dogs like that(just what ive seen on the net) also as a friend/companion for Rose our border collie(11 months female hyper)

mainly just as a pet and companion for rose...but might do agility with it as we will be doing that with rose...basically not realy got anything planned to do with it but will probs do some sort of dog sport with it just to keep it metally stimulated and exercised properly etc.
  6. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Rose have a search for posts by Myschievous - she has two wonderful NIs, Keena and Takoda, and has talked lots about them on here. :p
  7. x_rose_x

x_rose_x New Member

Name:
    Megan
    ok will do thanks:grin:
  8. dsmem3429

dsmem3429

I would say the cons are:

1. Constant shedding - they moult twice a year but it seems constant.
    2. Can suffer sepration anxiety - needs company, very pack orientated.
    3. Very strong willed - Is not as bad at recall as huskies etc, but it takes time.
    4. Gets on well with other dogs but tends to have a need to be dominant. Inca has to be first at anything. Can also be very boisterous so needs another breed who can cope with rough and tumble.

Pros are:
    1. Not very vocal - mine tends to 'wookie talk' more than anything, she very rarely barks.
    2. Very willing to please - once she has learnt something she will do it on command instantly.... and is also very intelligent. That is they do learn quick, but are very unquestioning. What I mean is Inca will do as she is told no matter what, but if I tell my terrier I need him to go into a certain room he will wonder why, what is he missing. That wouldn't occur to Inca, she just does what you say.
    3. Very submissive to people - again very willing to please. Do not attempt to use as a guard dog as even burglars are their friends.
    4. Can take whatever excercise you throw at it, mine is happy with 9 mile walk or just round the block. With Inca , even round the block sends her straight to sleep afterwards!

I am sure there are more pros and cons but thats what I can think of right now. Hope that helps :grin:
  9. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
  10. zero

zero New Member

Hi :)

These are the prominent traits of both my two, I wont list them as pros and cons as some of them can mean different things to different people, so you can decide for yourself.

Off lead = Recall is achievable and where the rule of thumb is to not let a husky or malamute off lead as they like to run and keep running this generally speaking isn't the case with NI.

In my experience my NI always want to keep me in eye sight, they are always looking back to see we are still there so the running off and running and not thinking about coming back until they are miles away isn't an issue with them...However! So long as you are in eye sight it can be a real challenge getting them back as quickly as you want them. It is achievable but it is a far more work in my opinion than it would be with many other breeds.

Exercise: When they are full grown they will love as much as you can give. They don't mind to miss the odd walk or two though and remain quite chilled around the house. Use your common sense on this one though, they are big dogs and the more rested they are through exercise the more relaxed and well behaved they are :) They (mine) are not interested in toys out side of the home so forget playing fetch with them, you have to think of other ways to entertain them...It's not just as easy as standing in the corner of a small Field and throwing a ball several dozen times.

Garden: They love to dig...not to escape just for the fun of it. So the more entertainment they receive the better or they will turn to digging more. Even so, they don't have to be bored to dig, digging can be done in play (mine have a particular game that involves digging and then using the hole as a homebase!) They also dig to make an area to lay down.

I believe with huskies a general rule is you need at least a 6ft fence preferably higher, that either goes into the ground 2ft or has concrete foundations (to stop them digging out to escape) We lived successfully with a 4ft fence for a yr and nether dog ever tried to jump it or dig under it, wherever we are they want to be they don't want to be anywhere else so escaping is pointless to them. (although there will always be exceptions to the rule of course) The only time they would try to escape is to get back with us if we are leaving them, then nothing stands in their way. The 4ft fence was ok because we never left them in the yard when we left, had we have done they would have easily scaled it.

Car travel: It's quite common for them to be quite car sick in the early months. One of mine suffered really bad until she was 9 months old and is now fine, the other has never been car sick.

Separation Anxiety: One of mine hates to be left. Leaving her with other people has no good affect as they become invisible to her as soon as we leave. It was hard in the early days as leaving her for even a minuet would get her in a real state. You have to get some in particular used to it very very slowly. Keena is over 2 1/2 now and still starts to howl after the first half hour and then again each 20 or so mins there after. My other NI is fine being left with people so long as they are entertaining. Although he does get swept up in Keena's worry sometimes and can't help but make a fuss at being left sometimes which is understandable when he is watching the other one get so upset. I have left a recorder on when I go out and he will start to howl purely because she has been howling a long time and it sets him off. Neither have ever caused any destruction in the home when left alone. Keena is to busy looking out the window and worrying and Takoda is too busy watching her pace around.

Barking: They have zero guarding instinct, they never bark in the garden, only in play. Keena will mix in some barking with her howling when we leave her and aside from when we leave them alone the odd time our neighbours say they would never guess we had two large dogs because of their lack of barking. They don't even bark to 'answer back' when other dogs in the neighbourhood bark. They are more than capable of it but they just seem to communicate differently. They are very vocal though, I get lots of roars from Takoda for instance...lol...Lots of woo woo's, howls, noisy yawns all sorts from them both!

One man / woman dog?...There is no other people in the world for Keena than us plain and simple. She likes people just fine and is very confident don't get me wrong but she is quite nonchalant of them she'll play if they are up for a game but she doesn't want to really be petted by them or have them in her personal space and she certainly doesn't want to be left with them! My boy loves to greet people and would send everyone flying to the ground, paws on shoulders and lots of kisses given the chance! He loves people but again wants to be with us.

General relationship to owners: They want to be involved in everything you do, (Perhaps one reason for the separation anxiety) even if it is just to watch you while you are busy. They can be a bit like a shadow at home and generally like to be in the same room with you at most times. They are very intune to my mood and are quite sensitive dogs.

Other dogs: Keena adores other dogs. Takoda is a bit more wary. Keena is great on and off lead with them and is zero aggressive and loves to play. Takoda has an on lead fear aggression but has never been aggressive off lead and also plays but Keena is the expert in this area. Other dogs interact ok with them in return but they do seem quite spooked by them and initially really submissive to them even when I only have one of them with me, until they get to know them.

Boisterous: Yes they are! They play ROUGH! I wouldn't have one in a household where one dog likes to be quiet and sedentary. NI are full of cheek and mischief. They are constant clowns and will do anything to start a game, this is especially true of Keena. If she wants to play she'll try anything. She'll take your socks off your feet, pull at your jeans, sit on your head, make eye contact and keep it no matter where you look...lol...all sorts. There main form of play is wrestling and mock hunting one another.

Training: It can be hard getting their attention purely because they would rather be clowning around. They are easily distracted, but they are very smart. With no distractions they can amaze you at how quickly they can learn and what they can do. The real challenge is getting them to do these things in public! They are so inquisitive and into their surroundings and they are not very food orientated when they are out and about. Unless it is extremely of value to her Keena will even take a treat and then drop it back to the floor because she doesn't want to waste time eating when she could be having fun! Nor are they interested in toys when out. At least mine arnt. You have to think differently in training them and keep their attention.

Are you put off now? :lol:
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2006
  11. x_rose_x

x_rose_x New Member

Name:
    Megan
    Thanks beckyc, janie and myschievous that was really helpful and has given me a good idea about what they are like... nope it hasnt put me off lol...
    rose is the same in training too focused on other dogs and people and just wants off to play(herd the other dogs) but when most of the people leave she is great and does eveything she should:roll: only food shes really intrested in is liver... shes the same as your NI's in some of the other areas aswell as was our last GSD just wanted to play and be with me ALL the time regardless of who else was in the house.

can you focus their digging to one bit of the garden?
    we have an old vegtable patch at the bottom so do you think it would be easy to teach it to dig there or mainly in that area?

i wouldnt really list anything as a pro or con it was my mum that asked me to post it as that... because you can work through most 'cons' or 'problems'
  12. Heidi1

Heidi1 New Member

Name:
    Jill
    Hi our pup is 6 months now and he doesn't bark, travels well, and is good at training commands. He is very friendly to the point of wanting to launch himself at people and other dogs to say hello. I think this is why recall is difficult and they are such friendly dogs. When there are no other dogs around he is extremely well behaved. They are very strong dogs and when they pull it takes a lot to hold on to them.

He is quite boisterous and bounds around the house, and also likes to be get one over on you given chance, so I think they do need a lot of training. The females are calmer I believe. Ours also likes to chew furniture on occasion despite have lots of toys and bones to chew on.

They are nice dogs, very friendly, strong willed. If ours calms down a bit he will make a very nice dog.
  13. Kristina

Kristina New Member

Name:
    Kris
    Hi there,

Think most things have been listed but if not here are the pros and cons for my nearly 1 yr old female NI....

Cons.
    Does not like to be left without either another doggy friend or some human company.
    Will not always recall if the lab does not recall.
    Loves to chase birds and small animals (has never caught anything just likes to chase)
    Will steal and then proceed to 'kill' (chew and shake to death) any socks, clean or dirty, that are within reach.
    Suffered a bit from seperation anxiety as a pup but with help she got over it by about 4mths old
    Fussy on her food. Sometimes will refuse to eat purely because she doesnt really fancy whatever you have just given her. But she wont let the lab have it even if she doesnt want it. (matter of principle lol)
    Nervous sometimes without the other dog in very busy places like the centre of town and can be nervy of strangers then too. But all she does is put her tail between her legs. When a stranger comes to the house she welcomes them with open paws and wet kisses in the ear!
    Moults quite a lot.
    Can have a sensitive tummy where food is concerned.
    Can be a madam and try to push boundaries if she thinks she can get away with it.
    Only chewed two things - small part of door-frame and plastic window ledge/shelf thing in conservatory. Currently still chewing that one!
    Loves to roll in fox poo if she can find any (yuck yuck yuck)
    Loves to dig in the garden (have had to build large doggy patio that is fenced in cos got so fed up with breaking my ankle falling down doggy-dug holes!) and will also dig up your plants if possible!
    Doesnt like the heat so can be uncomfortable and suffer in summer.

Pros.
    Very effectionate especially with her mummy! Very in-tune with your feelings when you're upset all she wants to do is cuddle you!
    Intelligent and learns quickly although at training classes can be easily distracted by other dogs and is not food focused which can make it hard to get her to do what you want her to.
    Travels perfectly in the car and is happy to be left there while you pop into the shop for some milk and bread.
    Coat seems self cleaning and doesnt smell much. Easy to maintain but she is not long-haired.
    Fantastic with kids (strangers) even though no one in my family or friends have any. Very gentle and patient no matter what they want to do. When she has had enough she will return to me with her tail between her legs lol.
    Great with all other dogs although can be a little too boisterous with them but she only wants to play.
    Doesnt care if we cant get out for a walk one day.
    Will walk as far (or not) as you are willing to go!
    Laid back and happy with whatever you seem to have planned even if it is a day of nothing lol
    Beautiful character which is complex but always endearing.

She can be a little wotzit when she wants to be but most of the time she is well behaved. I would definitely say having an older dog helped her to learn and adjust to life with us and was invaluable where overcoming the seperation anxiety was concerned. She is my not-so-little fur baby and i would definitely have another if i get the chance!
  14. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Cons:

Stubborn/Strong willed
    Heavy Shedders
    Can't be left alone for long periods
    Bouncy/Boisterous
    Very strong (phyisically)
    Diggers (so not for garden lovers)

Pros:

Very Loving
    Not very vocal (not big barkers)
    Don't need masses of exercise (unlike a husky)
    Submissive
  15. Tania

Tania New Member

Name:
    Tania
    Have posted something on the 'serious question about Ni's' thread
  16. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    Hi Megan, do you think it would be a good idea to take a short video at the training club tonight of rose, we could put it on dogsey and NI owners could have a peep and see if the two personalitys would clash or be good, just a thought! :idea: I occasionaly have the odd one;-)
  17. kyektulu

kyektulu New Member

Name:
    kye
    In my expereince so far...

Pro's;

Very, very loving and loyal.

Suprisingly agile, if you want to run all day, they are more than willing!

Will do anything to make you happy/willing to please.

Friendly with everybody.

Great with other dogs.

Loves children.

Very quick to pick up training.

Great recall.

Very happy and playfull, yet will not mind to sleep in untill dinnertime with you... :blush:

Submissive.

Quiet, not a barker.

Cons are;

Yep, I would say the no1 is... Seperation Anxiety.

They do NOT like being left alone and leaving them for mor than one hour (expesh if you only have 1 dog) is quite out of the question. Yet I knew this before we got jess and im with her all the time anyway. :grin:

Fussy eating... or is this just my NI? lol :lol:

Very over excitable, and when they are over excited, most of the time recall isnt good at all.

They dont realsie thier own size and strenth, even to toddlers...

Stubborn, yep everyone has mentioned this, and it is true.

This is just my experience as of yet, Jess is still very young so it would be best to get more accounts from more expereinced owners too!

Good luck with your new NI! :grin:
  18. x_rose_x

x_rose_x New Member

Name:
    Megan
    i suppose it would be a good idea... how would we do that though our camcorder is broke...athough my mums new phone may have a video bit on it not sure though.

Thanks to everyone for replying its all really helpful and has given us a good idea of what to expect:grin: :grin: :grin:
  19. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    :grin: Hi everyone,:grin:
    O.K just to put everyone in the picture
    As megan and her mum are thinking of adding to the family :grin: and due to roses little personality glitch I thought it was a good idea to see how rose reacts to another dog before buying,
    for a little collie she can be very over powering :shock: A few weeks ago she had one of the two year old rotts running for its life, (honest)
    she is so fast and butt munches dogs, Megan and her mum had been worried that it would be too much for a pup, I thought about it and last night as a trial I took (vinnie to the training club and handed him to megan for the night to see how rose would cope sharing her people with another dog, normaly around the seats she can be a bit nippy when other dogs get too close,
    It was a surprise to say the least, she got on just fine with vinnie :shock: even when there was food on the go :shock: what was even more shocking was Gail my best friend who has vinnies brother (sol) sat on the other side of her and rose really really took to him, she seems to like them a bit better than smaller dogs, we have talked about them borrowing vinnie for a day to see how things go at home with another dog, hence getting to know vinnie at training, he will go soon for a day with her as she may be totaly diff at home,
    we will try to put up some video of how rose behaves with other dogs and hopefuly some on the NI owners can give there oppinion of how a NI will cope with it, the rotts are pretty easy-ossy with it but she can make them scared (dont laugh please) but she can,
    will let you all know how the home run goes

OH and megan and her mum dont want to count there chickens too quick but
    WE SEEM TO BE REACHING A TURNING POINT WITH ROSE
    :mini: YIPEEEEEEEEE:mini:
    We have been staying on after the other dogs have gone and working with rose when there are only another couple of dogs around, and she has made a bloody great improvement :grin: so last night we attempted the un-do-able with rose and let her off lead during normal training and Megans mum kept her attention we have been doing alot of change direction fast fun stuff and it seems to keep her attention, she also did two recalls last night without running down the line of dogs sat waiting butt nipping and she learned a drop recall (norm you find it hard to get her to look at you) so this is massive for them, never put a foot wrong last night, Hope at last the hard work they have put into rose is paying off,
    :p PLEASED ME NO END LAST NIGHT:p SO I WILL BRAG ABOUT HER, LOL
    AND IM NOT THAT EASY TO PLEASE
    8) WELL DONE MEGAN AND JACQUIE 8)
  20. x_rose_x

x_rose_x New Member

Name:
    Megan
    :blush: thanks shona... its not just our hard work though if you hadn't been sooo helpful and been so understanding she wouldnt be any where near as good as she is.
    and everyone at the club understanding she isnt 'attacking' or 'biting' the other dogs shes just herding them and being patient with her and letting her go upto them in her own time etc.

i think she likes Sol so much as he dosent try to make her play lol he just says hello then cons my mum in to giving him liver, cheese or whatever treats she has lol then lies down and leaves her(rose) to say hello to him in her own time
  21. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    :smt104 thats rotts for ya eh cant see past the grub :grin: