Pug Breeders in Liverpool area? Questions

Discussion in 'Pug' started by puglover, Jul 14, 2009.

1. puglover

puglover New Member

Name:
    lyndy

Pug Breeders in Liverpool area?

Hi im totally new to Pugs, and was just wondering if anyone could give me any recommendations as to some quality Pug breeders? I know of Marbelton in Liverpool but they are sadly out of my price range!!! But i still want a healthy, happy pup!
    Thanks!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Hi, unfortunately Pugs are an expensive breed to buy. Have you checked Pug welfare? There may be some in rescue you could consider? I wouldn't but one just based on price, base your decision on quality as Pugs can have many health issues.
  4. puglover

puglover New Member

Name:
    lyndy
    They seem to be!! Im willing to pay £900 tops which i hope will ensure a healthy dog from a good breeder. I dont really want to go through pug welfare as you dont know the dogs history. Defintely want quality over cheapness! Thanks for your advice.x
  5. miz66

miz66 New Member

Name:
    Miranda
    Hi I got my Chihuahua from a really good pug breeder but it's in Doncaster don't know if it'd be too far for you? She only has 1 Chi that's how I got mine. Don't know about the pug's but she is an acredited KC breeder. My Chi is going there while we're on holiday, I can get her number if you wish to ask about them?
    Miranda
  6. Jessica

Jessica New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Hi Puglover,

The breeder you mentioned has some wonderful, fantastic quality pugs, but i am told they do charge considerably more than the going rate for their dogs so i can understand that being over your price range.

I have a litter of pugs at the moment and i would be asking a bit more than £900 for them. To be perfectly honest, if you want quality you will have to be prepared to pay around £1200 as that is the going rate for a well bred puppy. I would have a look on www.*********.co.uk (ok, link doesnt work - just google "champ dogs") and find some breeders in your area. You will have to make sure that the parents are health tested (they should be x rayed for hemivertebra - steer clear of any that arent) and preferably should be proven in the show ring. There are far too many poor quality pugs being churned out because people can make money out of them so do not rush into it! If you find any breeders feel free to PM me and if i know anything about them i will happily help you out. I dont want to make any recommendations either way on a public forum :lol:

Jess
  7. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I just had a look on Champ Dogs for you. There are several litters up your way (including one in Liverpool). :)
  8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    You'll be done for advertising!! :002:
  9. Jessica

Jessica New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Oooh, advertising what?? :shock:
  10. MaryS

MaryS New Member

Name:
    Mary
    Hi Jessica

Why do you think Pugs are so pricey? They are not rare so most UK breeders would not need to import males or export bitches or semen as say, we do in FLs.but a good pug is still £250 more than an FL. Our waiting lists can be 2-3 years so that can't be it... Any ideas??
  11. Jessica

Jessica New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Well, one of the main reasons would be the stud fee. I cant speak for lapphunds, but the stud fee for a good quality pug is several hundred £££'s higher than the equivilent in labradors. Also pugs are very hard to raise, we have been really lucky with our litter that Gracie is being a fantastic mum, but many pugs have no maternal instinct whatsoever so pups have to be hand reared from day 1, i guess the price reflects the work put into it. Also, when we enquired about having a c-section if necessary with my vets, the only one that have experience of doing them on pugs charge upwards of £1000 (non emergency!) for pugs due to the complications involved with the breed - maybe just because they know that the pups are worth so much :lol: But i would rather pay that than risk sending my dog for an op with someone who isn't familiar with the breed.

But i guess the only way prices would come down would be for someone to decide to drop the price on their pups... But then you'd attract the wrong sort of buyers so that would be a reason not too. As most people know, pugs are a puppy farmers dream - they cross them with anything and the purebreds are valuable! You have to be so careful.

I have had a waiting list for my litter since the bitch was very young, i think we had the first person on our list when she was about 6 months old :lol: Most breeders do have a waiting list as the amount of quality pups produced is not enough for the amount of people wanting them.
  12. MaryS

MaryS New Member

Name:
    Mary
    Thanks. Stud fee for FLs is price of a pup too....methinks these things are cultural and whoever started the game means everyone else has to continue....

ETA I haven't commented on the diversity/health issues behind breeding Pugs...I almost did LOL, but was gen. curious about fee structure. May start a thread for all breeds it may be interesting.
  13. Jessica

Jessica New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Yeah, the problem is once the prices have got high its hard to get them down as like i said, you may end up attracting the sort of people who just want a cheap dog :? But tbh, if theres any other reasons for it i dont know :lol:
  14. puglover

puglover New Member

Name:
    lyndy
    Thanks everyone. I cant work out how to reply to individual posts so will have to do it all here, soz!

Miz66- Doncaster not too far to travel and it would be great if you could give me the details, thanks! Always good to get recomendations!

Labradork- Thanks for looking on champ dogs i'll check that out.

Jessica- Have done my sums today and we can go upto £1000 so i hope i will still be able to find a happy healthy dog! Thanks for your health advice, i will write a checklist of what to look for before i commit. It would be great if i could get your advice on a couple of breeders i've been considering, but i dont know how to PM you!