Pug info please! General Chat

Discussion in 'Pug' started by x-clo-x, Sep 24, 2009.

1. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe

Pug info please!

hey, i quite like this little breed. people post your views on whether you like this breed or not? if you own one please give your funny little stories about them :grin: , if you dont like them fair enough but go about making your posts nice as not to offend :roll:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    does no one have any views on them?
  4. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    I love my pug, he thinks he is a big dog in little dogs skin:grin: he is game for anything, including trying to keep up with the collies. His worst points snoring and he tends to fart as he goes up the stairs!!!!![​IMG]
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I like their characters and board quite a few. They do have serious health problems though, not least breathing difficulties, I boarded two a couple moths ago and it was pitiful to watch them. I also boarded one that had an eye problem where it popped out of its socket!:shock: It had to have it removed but made a full recovery.
  6. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i know they do seem to have alot of problems, but i wonder if its a good breeder then surely these problems will be reduced even in some lines eventually eliminated? :? i quite like the look of them but want to know what they are like as pets, good points bad points etc. this whole thing came about because me and the OH were on about getting another doggie addition so we played the "whats your top 5" game and i was suprised when he said pug as i didnt think he was a small dog fan :roll: and even more shocking that chi was on there :shock: i like small dogs, they are easier for me to handle, (im not very strong and think i would be on my bum alot of the time with a big dog :blush: ) so whatever his choice im happy. i saw pugs a while back and i liked them before i got my cresteds so im quite a fan, just wanted to know a bit more. :)
  7. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I love pugs they are such great little characters, don't be fooled though they run you ragged as puppies. I looked after my youngest sons girlfriends pug while she worked so had her from 8 weeks on and she was so funny, so fast. and so fiesty, she had Diesel my staffy wrapped around her little paw from day one. She managed to keep up with the rest of them out on walks too but we did need to be careful where we walked as brambles and stuff that my lot don't even notice were at eye level for her and very risky because of the prominent eyes. I'd have one in a heartbeat though, I'm totally smitten.
  8. Jessica

Jessica New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Hi Clo,

I tried to reply to your PM, but im on my phone and it wouldnt send it...

Anyway, yes pugs are delightful little dogs. They should have very happy, outgoing temperments. They generally adore everyone. They are people dogs, dont get one if you'll be annoyed with it following you around the house!! They are generally not yappy, but mine will bark when someone come to the door.

They are actually a surprisingly healthy breed, they have a bad reputation for being unhealthy but i think that isnt helped by the huge numbers being churned out with no regard for health or conformation of the parents, just cos the pups fetch a high price. None of mine have breathing problems, and they will happily walk all day!! You do have to be careful in the heat, they cant regulate their temps like other dogs so can easily get heat stroke. You have to be aware of that in the summer and keep them cool.
    Some have eye problems, i've had experience of that (from a catch claw) with one of mine. The new standard is asking for smaller eyes though so that should start to improve.

The can suffer from hemivertebra, which is a spinal deformity, breeders should xray the parents for that and ONLY breed from clear parents.

The most important thing when buying a pug is researching breeders. Dont just go for the kennel with the latest champions. Sadly, some of the top breeders are churning out 15-20 litters a year, which makes life even more difficult than normal for prospective buyers as usually show people are considered responsible breeders...

i will prob think of more later, but it takes me ages to type on my phone lol. If u have more specific questions just ask, i will help if i can :)
  9. masala

masala New Member

Name:
    valerie
    my friend has just rescued a pug/jack russell - 8 weeks old and the owners could not cope !! they call them jugs ! a lovely cross
  10. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    thanks jessica :grin: have to say they are growing on me but the only thing being im gonna have to save for a while to get one! :shock: i dont mind paying though as long as its a healthy dog :) they certainly sound a good little dog that would go with cresteds, my main concern was the walking because i like to take mine out for long walks. keeping them cool i understand and think that you take precautions with any dog when its warm. i also like french bulldogs, think i have a thing for squidgy faces lol :grin: will start looking into breeders today seeing as im off college and try and find a good one. :)
  11. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    what are pugs like around other dogs? and i heard they can be a bit greedy with their food? :) what are they like to train? ive read that they can be very strongwilled.

jessica.. what breeders would you reccomend then to get a good quality pug from? :)
  12. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    Oz did have an issue with food when he came to us but he was probably aboutb6yrs old only around dogs ,with us he was fine, but with training and patience he is fine only now grumping at the collie pup when she tries to move in. I'm sure that from a puppy it wouldnt be a problem, I'm sure jessica will keep you right:grin: As for living with other dogs Oz lives with $ Border collies, 2 moggies and a Ragdoll cat that def. thinks its a dog.Jessicas live with Labs and a Basenji.
    They are great little dogs:grin: :grin:

Jeanette
  13. louise81

louise81 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    I think they are a wonderful breed.Although the health problems with the breed can be a bit off putting.My neighbour owns both a pug and 2 frenchies the pug has had quite a few health problems but the french bulldogs are fine.Getting even a puppy from the best does not mean your puppy will not have health issues its all due to the structure of the dog.I do agree with BorderDawn they do have serious health problems,the breathing on my neighbours dogs is pitiful
  14. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    yeah i like frenchies as well so i might have a look at them too. my OH likes them and really i think he doesnt mind what we have, afterall its me that will be doing the work. im not getting one for a while anyway i just like talking about different breeds because i want so many! :grin:
  15. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Ollie lived with the Dobermanns a staffy and a terrier mix and the little minx ran rings around the lot of them :lol: I always fed her separately as she was on different food from my lot and to be fair she ate it so fast the others wouldn't have got a look in anyway. I found her just as easy to train as any of the others as she copied everything my staffy did anyway.
  16. Lozmaz

Lozmaz New Member

Name:
    Lorraine
    My Bella is a pure black pug and I must say she was the easiest dog to train, housetrained in just 2 weeks yes 2 weeks. She is so lovable and loves to sit on your knee all night watching the tv and as for snoring not that much to be honest. Anyone getting a pug I would highly recommend one
  17. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    There is a pug in Dandy's training class and she's soooo much fun. Everyone loves her. She's been a real handful though and very energetic. She doesn't have any problems with breathing and her eyes aren't overly large, but some I've seen have been awful.
  18. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    ive found a few breeders that the dogs look healthy, their eyes arent overly big, they dont seem to be overweight, and their faces dont look that squished in so they breath really really bad.
    the breeders ive also found do all the relevant health tests and im hoping soon that a pug will be added to my house :grin:
  19. Zara's_Momma

Zara's_Momma New Member

Name:
    Nat or Debbie (depending who's online!)
    I've read this thread with interest, as we have considered a Pug as a friend for Zara. I met the most beautiful little pug the other day, he was so friendly and out going, he was eight years old and just walked for three miles through the woods!

x-clo-x I see we are both in the Cheshire area, I would be interested in which breeders you are looking to get your pug from? Do you think you could PM me the website or details when you have time? Thanks x.
  20. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    just pm'ed you. :grin: i really like pugs and would like to have one eventually. they go well with cresteds too. alot of people have cresteds and pugs. i really want a black one. i will wait patiently to have one. ive got the cresteds to think of at the minute. but i love the breed. :grin:
  21. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    Pugs were one of the three breeds on our shortlist before we got Lola.

I do think they are lovely little characters.:grin: