Pug Discussions

Discussion in 'Pug' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Vickyd1987

Vickyd1987 New Member

Name:
    vicky
    Here are a few pics of my new arrival millie:):):)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to follow.:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Mother*ship

Mother*ship New Member

Name:
    J
    She's luscious! :007: :007: :007: I want some puggy cuddles NOW!!!

J.
  4. Vickyd1987

Vickyd1987 New Member

Name:
    vicky
    hehe dont forget all the snorts to go with cuddles!!! :)
  5. katie1

katie1 New Member

Name:
    pauline
    Just found the pictures she's sooooooo cute hope to have a cuddle one day:grin:
  6. Vickyd1987

Vickyd1987 New Member

Name:
    vicky
    lets hope so:) she is having her 2nd jab next week
  7. CovetKaty

CovetKaty New Member

Name:
    Katy
    Going to sound like a total noob but here I go.

I'm (seriously) considering getting a Pug. I've been saving my pennies and have done all the neccessary financial calculations for another dog (currently have one greyhound) and it's worked out fine.

I've loved the pug breed for years but because of living at my mum's and in student housing I couldn't have a dog until now (Greyhound is more my bf's dog than mine). I love the whole 'velcro dog' scenario, it's just what I want. Bf snores so nothing new there, and the grunts and snorting I find adorable!

I've been reading up on what to expect from breeders etc but I'm wondering health wise what I should be asking about? I'm aware of the eye and soft pallet issues but is there anything else to ask about?
    Along with that what should I be expecting paper work wise from a KC breeder? We got meg as a retired racer so she only came with very basic paper work (her racing name/trainer name/number etc) even though she's pedigree.

So yeah, total noob :blush:
  8. Vickyd1987

Vickyd1987 New Member

Name:
    vicky
    lol you're fine love, I would advise always making sure you can at least see the puppys mum, make sure the parents have a good temperement and are healthy or if they have had any health probs in the past, if parents have been hip/elbow xrayed is also a bonus. Pups shouldnt be allowed to leave home any earlier than 8 weeks. I have learnt you get what you pay for.. £800 - £1200 for a quality pup.

A KC breeder will go through the "transfer of ownership" paperwork with you.. which you then send off with a cheque (or online) along with if you want any extra's such as the 5 generation pedigree certificate. Some breeders will also give you 4 weeks free insurance, a *puppy pack* normally consisting of a bag of the food pup was weaned on, a blanket, toy maybe 1st jab and microchip...

hope this helps, dont hesitate to ask any more questions:)
  9. CovetKaty

CovetKaty New Member

Name:
    Katy
    Thanks vicky :) We had something similar to transfer of ownership with megan but it was more to do with re-registering her ear tattoos to our name.
    I was aware of the age of pups, although I thought it was 10 weeks O_O I was close :lol:

I contacted Vets4pets last week asking about their jabs and they handily enough do an 'all your jabs for life for £99' which was a bonus.

I have read that pugs have trouble controling their body temperature. It doesn't get particularly warm here (derbyshire) but we've had some funny summers and winters recently (30+ degree summers and -10 winters with snow). Should I worry about the cold as well as when it's hot?

Also, what kind of food (probably debatable between owners) should pugs eat protein wise? Meg has to be below 20% for temprement reasons.
  10. Vickyd1987

Vickyd1987 New Member

Name:
    vicky
    Hi again! Yes yes yes.. Puggys do have problems with their temperature, mainly due to their short (almost non existant) muzzle, it takes them longer to cool down and they can not tolerate the hot weather so well. I would recommend keeping an eye on them in the garden in hot weather, or make them a shady spot... and also have walkies at the coolest part of the day.. morning or evening.
    Just another tip, never walk puggy as far as your not prepaired to carry her, as she will just STOP when she has had enough lol... not that they need loads of exercise anyway.
    As for cold weather, you might want to invest in a small coat or jumper, as although fawn puggys have 2 coats, they are short haired so can get chilly in the winter.... and they look really cute:)

Food wise as you're getting a pup, the % of protien is important for growth, I believe the majority of puppy food is 27-28% protien, and have a close look at the ingredients, you will want the first ingredient to be meat/meat meal rather than wheat or cereals..

Glad to be a help, I had wanted a Pug for SO SO SO long, and had done so much research before getting one. :)
  11. CovetKaty

CovetKaty New Member

Name:
    Katy
    Aye our meggy has a coat for the winter as she's not got much to her :lol: We have two walking routes that are our regular ones so I'd walk the puggy on the shorter of the two ^^
  12. katie1

katie1 New Member

Name:
    pauline
    Hope all's well with you i expect Millie's had her jab now . Katie was a bit depressed at the weekend (poor old girl) hasn't wanted to play much so keeping Keisha busy and giving her a break . been for a walk down the prom so now there flaged out good job it's a lovley day Keisha jumped in the pond :lol: and had to swim back to me then she runs possesd :roll: trying to dry herself on the grass gonna have to keep her on the lead when the weather gets cold when we go there be great to meet up one day take care
  13. Vickyd1987

Vickyd1987 New Member

Name:
    vicky
    Hi There! Awww poor Katie, sounds like Keisha has had lots of fun! Millie has had her second jab now yes, and we had an unexpected visit to the vets when a bit of wood fell on her leg, only soft tissue injury though, thank god, poor little mite, but she is fully recovered now and keeping me on my toes, we are currently at devon and I think she has taken a step back toilet training wise as she cant get outside here on her own, so im looking forward to getting her home in a way. My naughty hubby brought her home some cesar food as a treat, because she got sh*t scared when we were outside and some idiot was showing off over-revving his car, She had ears back, tail between her legs and was shaking trying to get away, took her that whole night to recover... needless to say the cesar gave her the poo poo's as she is only 11 and a half weeks! tut!

She is doing well now though. Definately be good to meet up!
  14. CovetKaty

CovetKaty New Member

Name:
    Katy
    Another question from me.

I've contacted a few breeders that i found via the KC website (contacted the ones who have registered as having recent litters) but only one has got back to me in 2 weeks :( Is there any way I can find out/contact any other pug breeders? :(
  15. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Contact the secretary of the breed club ??
  16. Mother*ship

Mother*ship New Member

Name:
    J
  17. Vickyd1987

Vickyd1987 New Member

Name:
    vicky
    Good Luck.:)
  18. katie1

katie1 New Member

Name:
    pauline
    Been so busy at work(nights) what with walking the dogs(fun bit) and the housework feet havn't touched the ground enjoy your holiday will keep in touch
  19. CovetKaty

CovetKaty New Member

Name:
    Katy
    Finally I have enough! Helped a little by Mr Tax man and his lovely rebate :D Now to find a breeder!
  20. Vickyd1987

Vickyd1987 New Member

Name:
    vicky
    YAY go for it! we need pictures when successful!!
  21. CovetKaty

CovetKaty New Member

Name:
    Katy
    Turns out I won't be able to get one until after christmas time. I can't get any time off work between now and the 25th of december so would be better for the pup to get it after then so I can take a week off and bond :) Does give me lots of time to prepare though :D