Pugs in active homes? Questions

Discussion in 'Pug' started by EmmiS, Nov 23, 2012.

1. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise

Pugs in active homes?

Right i'm very very slowly starting to look at the prospect of getting another dog. Ideally a toy breed and the option of getting a CKC or a king charles is very much open still, but i absolutely ADORE pugs, and i have my heart set on getting a black bitch.

However due to breathing problems and such like I'm a bit worried about some things, i like running, and it wouldn't be imperative that the dog came with me, but it would be nice, i also like lonnngggg country walks, spend a lot of time round horses, so dog would spend a lot of time outside! Would this suit a pug, i've heard so many different things?!

Also, if anyone else has any ideas about active, toy breeds (please no terriers, i just can't get on with them for whatever reason) that i could look into, please let me know :) I'm in no rush whatsoever! Far more important is finding the right dog.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

There is no reason why a well bred Pug, should have any breathing problems or not be able to do an active walk.

Speak and visit some breeders, and see for yourself how active they are, you may be suprised ;-)
  4. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Yorrrkkieee....

Oh wait, are they are terriers? technically they are toy breeds....;)

Papilions might be worth looking into.
  5. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    My 2 manage to run and bark at the same time, charge about on walks and lurve muddy puddles. We walk them all together and they manage just fine. They do struggle a bit in the heat but so does my staffie, Tucson my fawn pug coped quite well in the heat last year, you just avoid walking in the hottest part of the day but I do that anyway. As Jackbox says a well bred pug should not have breathing issues. They are full of beans energetic dogs (when awake, they do like their kip) but when you hit the on switch they are full on. I think people who don't know any Pugs personally are often quite shocked at how lively and energetic they actually are.
  6. muddymoodymoo

muddymoodymoo New Member

Name:
    muddymoodymoo
    English Toy Terriers ... ehm... again terriers...

Min pins ... don't have 'terrier' in the name but are quite terrier like.

Toy or miniature poodles?

On Dog Borstal there was a pug that loved fetching, did an agility course with 2 bar jumps that many bigger dogs would find high.
  7. Jessica

Jessica New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Pugs can certainly walk, I have horses and mine love running with them.

However, they are a short nosed toy breed. Breathing wouldnt be a concern for me, it would be overheating. Long country walks during the summer would be a problem as they can overheat very quickly and have more trouble cooling themselves down that "normal" dogs. They can certainly handle daily walks and a country lifestyle but for someone who is very keen on long walks I wouldnt recommend a pug.
  8. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    Watching dogs 101 yesterday.. the guy had a pug and he went everywhere and did everything with him... Surfing to Sky Diving. The breed spiel said that Pugs are very versatile and will lead any kind of lifestyle you want to lead.

They did say they were prone to respiratory probs in the heat.

But never having one myself... i don`t know if that`s the case with a majority of pugs.
  9. kobi

kobi New Member

Name:
    Dave
    could not answer to the overheating issue, but the agility club I use has a section for Pug owners to do agility with low fences but the other equipment stays the same. I know a couple have gone on to compete and at a high level