Puppy Pulling on Leash to come home Questions

Discussion in 'Weimaraner' started by blue-moon, Oct 7, 2019.

1. blue-moon

blue-moon New Member

Name:
    Robert Vosper

Puppy Pulling on Leash to come home

I have three-month old Weimeraner. He is the best. He is pretty good on a leash for about half the walk and I try to reward him often for staying next to me and not pulling. But once we turn around to back home, he just pulls like a mad man. I've tried everything--stopping and waiting for him to calm down. Calling him back and then rewarding him when he does, etc. But as soon as we start back up, he pulls again.

He just seems determined to go home!

Any other suggestions? I am going to get him some time with a trainer, but that probably won't happen for a few more weeks.

Thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    He is still young and the big wide world can be a scary place, I have gone through the same with puppies but they grew out of it once they got more confident.
    You could try walking in random directions, turning often, encouraging with toy or titbit
  4. blue-moon

blue-moon New Member

Name:
    Robert Vosper
    Thanks. You are probably right. He might just be too young to really train. He is a great dog and is really good for about 1/2 the walk. But then just wants to go home. I will try some of your techniques. Thanks for the tips.
  5. Lesa

Lesa New Member

Name:
    Lesa
    I got a four month old Weim and experienced the same thing. Immediately I got a choke chain and began training Preston with it. Every time he would begin to pull, I would give it a quick yank with the command, "back" and wait two seconds before resuming with the word, "walk." Then I would say "good boy" cheerfully a time or two. Within two days he was walking stress free on the leash! I have trained him now that if he wears the choke chain, (which is not cruel when done right, he excitedly slips his head through it when I hold it out) he walks by my side. Without it, he is allowed to wander and explore at his leisure and I follow him on his regular leash.
    Note: sometimes I still have to correct him more on the way home, but it is totally manageable!
  6. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    How far are you walking him?