Puppy training - best practices Questions

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by ZeldaZulu, Jan 1, 2019.

1. ZeldaZulu

ZeldaZulu New Member

Name:
    Ginny

Puppy training - best practices

Potty training 2 questions:

1. How young can they realistically begin potty training? At the moment with their metabolism it's in and 2 minutes later, out again. They do have some sense a bit that where they sleep they don't want to do it but apart from that - it's rather a little hit and miss. If I take them in a room to play and get their energy out a bit, we put down a pad and they will sometimes go to it and wee but not all the time, and sometimes their head is on it, but bottom isn't - so maybe in their logic they think they are on it. But telling them 'no' and 'good puppy' I am not sure if they - at 4 weeks know words enough to get what's bad or good yet. They're still finding their limits with each other with fighting and knowing when they hurt each other too much.

2. How the heck do you get puppy pads to work properly???? I put them down but the little ones think they are a bit fun. So in their pen, they often ruck them up or pull them like they are toys. Even in the room when we let them get their energy out a bit and play, with a puppy pad, they often try to drag it like a toy. We do provide toys and they will play a bit with them - so it's not for lack of other fun things like toys, other puppies and us. But they're constantly being folded over, rucked up into a sodden pile before long!

3. Anyone have suggestions for best training books out there? Are there ones best for collies with their brilliant mind?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I have never used puppy pads, so I can't help there. Could you weight them down?

Four weeks is too young for them to be able to do any more than you describe. Cavaliers are a breed that is very easy to house-train. The earliest that I would expect them start trying to hold on to their wee, or to run the correct area, is around 10 weeks.

What kind of training? Obedience, Sheepdog or Puppy training? If you mean puppy training, I always recommend The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey. It is quite old now but she does update it from time to time.
  4. ZeldaZulu

ZeldaZulu New Member

Name:
    Ginny
    Hi Carole,

Just your basic training for right now. Just the 'no bite', 'no pulling clothes' - simple things that just help them adjust to higher level learning and basic good intergration to home things.

They do actually use the puppy pads. Not entirely consistently of course but in their pen, I have them to one side on a tray and generally speaking - maybe 7 times out of 10? If we take them out into a room, there's less accuracy about that statistic but there will be some attempts to go to the pad. So there is something sinking in that pad = potty. But definitely in their pen, they use it. However, they also think they are fun and often pick them up. But mostly they just get rucked up - not sure if I can 'weight' them down as they are strong little buggers who pull out towels, little rugs out from most things as all things are fun. How did you work out limited potty training with your puppies? They poo/wee constantly and I don't - if I can be awake to see it - want them sitting, playing, and yes - eating! - it. So they have a sleep area, a play area and a potty area but space, as for us all, is limited but I suspect even if I gave them a room that still wouldn't be enough! Anyway, how did you deal with trying to set up a potty area that wasn't trampled or eaten?

As for the learning, in the last couple of days, we've been able to get them to sit for a treat (it's just their puppy food but they don't care as long as it's food!). And they do do it! It's still all about reinforcement for this to get established and I wouldn't necessarily transition at this age to any other tricks but as this trick is somewhat useful, it seemed appropriate to try to establish it. For play time, to learn sit, for feeding time, etc. So working with that.

But mostly, I just want them to be well-adjusted puppies so looking for books to use the best techniques (like not giving attention to biting - as bad attention, is still attention) rather than punishment or etc which isn't working with the dogs natural learning styles. So nothing over specific to tricks or breed - just using best practices to ensure a well- adjusted dog by starting when they are puppies.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I had never used puppy pee pads, or a crate, until I had Baby Ziva - but as she was only with me for 11 days I honestly cannot remember how she was.

But then there came Tikva. Three weeks old and having to be bottle fed. She learned what puppy pads were for although she did pee in her crate if I did not get up in time for her bottle and then a pee. Never poo'd in it though.

She was in her crate only at night, having a day bed with puppy pads around it. And she seemed to automatically know where to pee on. But she was a single pup so maybe it was easier for her to know what and where she had to "go",