Pyrenean Mountain Dog. Advise on the breed needed Questions

Discussion in 'Pyrenean Mountain Dog' started by Nap-attack, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Nap-attack

Nap-attack New Member

Name:
    Julie

Pyrenean Mountain Dog. Advise on the breed needed

I am hoping to re-home a female Pyrenean Mountain dog, she's 18 months old. I have experience of giant breeds but not this particular breed. Can anyone who owns one or has owned one tell me their thoughts and experiences. Many thanks. Any info will be really helpful :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I know four of them! two sets of Pyr's, owned by two different owners. One pair live rurally (middle-of-nowhere-ville) and have a ton of land to roam, so really the ideal home set up for them. These two are indoor/outdoor dogs but they prefer being outdoors (with that coat it isn't surprising). The other pair are housedogs with a relatively large garden, again they prefer the outside. They are lovely gentle giants though, can be stubborn and a bit aloof, but so gorgeous. Absolutely massive though...the paws!!
  4. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    Is a Pyrenean Mountain dog the same as a Great Pyrenese? Bit white Fluffy beasts? Flock Guarding breed?

If so, I've known several and they are lovely dogs. Did know of one with a loose screw that would become seemingly randomly aggressive but I don't think thats the norm for the breed.

If I was going to have one I'd name it Denali, Alaskan for great white God.
  5. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Some years ago my cousin had one. Unfortunately, it bit her son and was PTS. They live in Aus and I don't have any further details of why it happened, so it may not have been the dog's fault.

Good luck - keep us posted!

[​IMG]
  6. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    A lady at my training club has a rescue Pyr, it came to her with DA which improving slowly. Gorgeous dog though!
  7. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Yes, I believe the latter is the US term for the breed xxxx
  8. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    im not much help with this as i dont know much about the breed, but they are absolutely stunning!
  9. Ali

Ali New Member

Name:
    Allison
    A friend of mine has one, he came fromm the free ads (of all places). He likes who he likes and is dismissive of anyone else. He can be a big softy although bit a drunk bloke who was insistant of stroking him despite being asked not to because he was wary of the man.

I would have him in a blink I love him!
  10. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    They are lovely dogs, needing firm but kind training. They have a strong guarding instinct and will protect loved ones with their life, so they need to be taught when to guard and when to relax. I love them, they're like big polar bears!