Question about Leonbergers: Questions

Discussion in 'Leonberger' started by TabithaJ, Aug 7, 2011.

1. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Question about Leonbergers:

I have been thinking increasingly about getting another dog - it won't be for another year but I seem to have rather fallen in love with the Leonberger....

My specific question is: I gather from my research so far that they generally have 'good' temperaments. I just want to check: if I have one from a puppy, would a Leonberger be happy in a household with another male dog?

I ask because I have a lovely male Lab who is two (neutered).

Any other info about Leonbergers is of course most welcome - and pictures very very welcome! :mrgreen:

Many thanks :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    All the Leos I've met have been laid back and very good with other dogs. You shouldn't have a problem with temperament provided you do your homework, which of course you know! They are really nice dogs, good luck in your search.
  4. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Thank you very much :)
  5. Fluffypup

Fluffypup New Member

Name:
    Lesley
    Leos do tend to be laid back although I wouldn't assume that your Leo will be, they come in all different types of temperament just like any other breed and my two are like chalk and cheese! You shouldn't have any problem mixing a lab and a Leo although they will for the first year to 18 months have very different exercise requirements which could lead to a very large young Leo being left at home while you walk the lab and deciding to amuse himself by eating your sofa! They can be very destructive, partly because they can't be walked too far for quite a long while and partly because they are so powerful. A lot of our furniture as chunks missing :) Be prepared for other people to scoop up their dogs when they see you coming and kids to either shriek in terror or fling their arms round him saying it's a bear - they do seem to produce extreme reactions from people. They are a wonderful dog and I love mine dearly, however if you are houseproud I would think again as they never seem to stop shedding absolutely everywhere. Definitely do your homework so you know what to expect, but then that's the same for any breed really.