Question about the Northen Inuit type dog General Chat

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Westie_N, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    No not fat, they have more bone and muscle but then they would . . Mals are all about the power LOL!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Taloowa :) it shouldn't be assumed that all established breeds have health problems, on the contrary in some breed they are very few. Most established breeds have many numbers of dogs worldwide from differing bloodlines all breeding to type, so it is not impossible to import dogs in order to introduce new health tested blood lines to existing stock to prevent inbreeding and many people already do that. My current puppy is by an imported international champion.

By all means have a cross bred dog, there are thousands in rescues waiting for homes many as the result of accidental births but you won't be charged an exorbitant price for one of these on the pretext that it is actually a breed with discernible traits.

Do people have new breeds of sheep and cows in the house with them as pets, is the temperament and the way they interact with humans important ? I think not, not in the same way as dogs anyway. How long are sheep and cows kept, many of them a couple of years at the most so any changes of breed can take place quite rapidly and any stock that is not of a required type will quickly go to market.

You ask how was the NI created? I would say from an ill assorted group of dogs all to often by people with little sense and money signs in their sights.
    To me there is still no recognisable 'type' to the Inuit breeds, many look like poor examples of other breeds or merely crossbreeds.
    We often see pictures of Inuit type dogs on here which have won prizes at breed shows, I actually think this gives a false impression to people when they see them , they think this is an established breed and want one . Who makes the rules for these shows which breed standard do they follow when judging ,there seem to be a number of vague ones and who are many of the judges?
    I could go around the rescue centres and collect some similar looking dogs and give them a 'breed name' , write a rough standard (not approved by any governing body) have shows and give prizes, breed the dogs together and sell the puppies at a high price but this doesn't make them a breed.

As I have said many times established breeds were created long ago by selectively breeding, retaining dogs of the required type to breed from and the rest were mostly culled, things were very different then . Some breeds were started by hobby breeders with vast estates and the staff to go with them where money and space were no object. This is why to me it is not a feasible proposition to try to create another breed nowadays, to do so would result in many unwanted puppies which were not of the required type. No respectable breeder, the kind who takes great care and tests their stock would allow their dogs to be used in such an experiment so the probability would be you would be using dogs from none health tested stock.

Sorry if some people don't like this but that is how it seams to me . Yes the individual Wolfy looking dogs are lovely but to me they are not a breed.
    If someone wants a northern breed and feels they are capable of handling one of these dogs correctly and can make sure it has a suitable home I would advise them to do their research well and to approach a breeder of an established breed , you will know exactly what you are getting then. If you aren't that bothered about having a dog with particular traits well then go to the rescue centres, there are plenty of dogs there to choose from including some which may have a passing resemblance to a wolf.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2008
  4. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Now I said that about Mals..somewhere on the forum.. That mals were more powerful ..but I was told that I hadn't seen an NI pull a rig... (think it might have been Elaine Inkliveeva, could be wrong tho)

So Razcox..as an NI owner..would you say that Mals are more powerful than NI??
  5. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    NI's can pull a rig, Huskies can pull a rig that pic of the poodles pulling a rig was ace (thanks who ever sent that BTY) but of the sleding breeds the Mal was bred for power. The only sleding breed more powerful would be the Chinook . .

So yes a Mal has more pulling power then an NI. Just like a Shire has more pulling power then a cob type. Its all in the body structure.
  6. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    I have to say I agree with the out-crossing of the NIs and has to better than the continuing the in breeding.
    I looked at huskys which are lovely but the off lead issue put me of and wanted a bigger dog.
    I love the Mals but didnt want that much hair so the NI had what I wanted. Bear in mind at the time my judgement was based on looks and what everyone sees as good looking varies.
    I love the way Kato looks and think there isnt another breed that looks like him so would be sad if that look wasnt bred anymore.
  7. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Radox, you are right of course, I have a Northern breed with a passing resemblance to a grey wolf, and the breed is all but free from health issues. We have had them in the past but the breed club and it's members have tracked down the line that is carrying the problem and they stop using it. We are at the moment trying to sort an eye problem that has been found in a couple of dogs and are sending swabs to the states so we know which dogs are affected or carriers.

Have to add that in my breed we do not wait till a number of dogs are effected by a health problem that may be hereditary, it is looked into when the first case is diagnosed.
  8. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Sorry Louise just seen this,
    I have already said that I don't agree with crossing N.I to cwd or saraloos its just creating another band wagon for people to make money from wolfy type dogs...I don't believe either the gene pool for cwd or saraloos is big enough here...that said I have every respect for the work Charlie Richardson does with his dogs.
    No I don't believe Donna would cross any of her bullies with anything else, then it wouldn't be a bullie lol...
    Just Mals , original :lol:
  9. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    But thats the point.. Everyone has a go at me or Mick because we defend Mals & SIbes.. BUt the minute I say something about someone selling an NI x GSD.. the NI people moan and say its terrible.. SO they are doing the same thing we are!!!!!

Thats what I mean.. your bullie breed wouldn't allow her bullies to be cross bred..so I would hazard a guess at her being a good breeder.. ANY Good breeder WILL protect their breed and keep it pure..

My worry is that by breeding CWD etc into NI..they are creating a more difficult NI..Now the reasoning behind NI was to have something like a Mal or a sibe but with better training and recall....ARE you going to get that with a NI x CWD??
  10. ElaiRs

ElaiRs New Member

To my way of thinking, you have hit the nail on the head with your breed and health. I dont understand why breeders of NI'/Ute's etc cant follow the same line of thinking when it comes to health. There is no need for them to wait for the health issues to be widespread, it should be sorted out before it becomes a real problem even if that means stopping certain lines from being bred. The only reason to keep breeding from unhealthy lines is of course money. The dogs should be the priority.
  11. taloowa

taloowa New Member

Name:
    taloowa
    The problem with the NI/Ute is the fast majority of them cant even spell let alone understand how gentics works, they operate on the basis it looks nice they should create nice pups.... and that is how they got in to this mess... and they cant stop.....(I am not refering to all NI breeders)just the Chairperson who tells everyone who should breed what to what, and then loses it all on a peiece of paper..

How any expects this to create a good do is beyond me so people have been trying to start again....

And I enjoy the animals they have created and if people dont like it I dont particularly care. What i do find annoying is people are not will to open there eyes and give these animals a chance.

I will be breeding these animals and I am proud of them.....
  12. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Hi Taloowa

I think you'll find that many people on here have questions and concerns because they very much care about dogs, their welfare and breeding issues. If you join a forum to chat about your breed/breeding intentions, shouldn't you expect questions and opinions?

I also think that any organisation that adopts the moral high ground needs to be absolutely whiter than white. If they are, questions should not be a problem. :grin:

The vast majority?:shock: I own a Utonagan but I can assure you that your generalisation does not apply to me. Here's a tip - try using capital letters and punctuation before you condemn us all, eh?;-) :lol:
  13. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I own an NI as wel and take offence at this statement to. . No 1 can spell like wot i can! :mrgreen:
  14. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Out of the thousands of N.I that have been bred there must be quality stock problem free out there to breed from, I just can't believe there isn't, there is N.I in scotland that are NOT reg with any associations who have probably out crossed and most likely have the healthiest specimens of N.I that look like N.I and have the same breed traits...sorry if that didn't make sense ...
  15. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison

makes sense to me

If these Scottish NI are not with the NIS and have already outcrossed, then they are less inbred and more probably more healthy. But then the NIS would not accept these as pure NI.

The problem I have is that people do not realise just how inbred the NI are. It doesn't show up on a 3 or 4 gen pedigree. But when you take it back further they are very closely related. The NIS carrying on breeding the NI the way it is now will just further inbreed.
  16. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    It makes sense..but then where did they come from originally??? do they eventually go back to the same lines as all the others?
  17. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    probably the same place as all the mals go back to originally louise they all started some where...
  18. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    Sorry for the delay in replying but I've been out all day and only just got home. Anyway... I find it really difficult to separate the two options as they are so closely linked. Yes I believe the "breed" should never have been started in the first place, but given that it was started, the very least that could have been expected is that halfway accurate records could have been kept and health checks (based on the existing issues within the contributing breeds) should have been carried out on any dogs bred. None of this was done and the history of the breed is a complete farrago of lies, half-truths and supposition.

As far as KC reg breeds are concerned, I have a problem with any breed whose health is so compromised that they cannot breed, breathe or otherwise function normally.

Mick
  19. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    That's the scariest thing I have heard in a long time!
  20. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    I am assuming there is a missing negative in that sentence and am responding as such:

I have met more than a few AKC dogs, including my own, that have had genetic problems that somehow hinders a dog's "otherwise normally functioning" life. Maybe it’s different on the other side of the world, but we meet lots of people with stories at the dog parks. But then, the people at the dog parks are usually just normal-non breeder-non society affiliated-people that are trying to do the best they can with their dog. Naturally, the societies/associations and breeders don't boast about "those dogs," but that doesn't mean that they don't exist.
  21. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    No missing negative at all??? It means just what it says!
    To clarify, I don't have a problem with individual dogs who have serious health problems. Indeed, our rescue is dealing with them on a regular basis. Where I have a problem is with the irresponsible breeders who are producing them - whether they are KC registered breeds or designer crosses.

Mick