Question about unusual poop (GSD puppy) General Chat

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Econoline, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Econoline

Econoline New Member

Name:
    Christian

Question about unusual poop (GSD puppy)

We have two German Shepherd Puppies that were just brought home about 3 weeks ago... they are both full of life, fun, happy, and play 12 hours of the day and sleep 12 hours of the day, and nothing in between. Super full of life and happy.

But today one pooped a weird color completely, so much so that I took a photo of it to look at later. I'm worried that it could be something serious, but it's only been one time so far, and even now (5 hours later) they are both identical as far as mood, activity, AND appetite.

Could this be from eating junk like hay and straw and green grass...? They are incredibly curious and sniff and pick and paw and munch on nearly everything in the yard that they are confined to.

Any input from someone who knows would be greatly appreciated, it has me worried.

Sorry for the photo, but this is the only way to explain it. The red dots on the leaf are the leaf, but the red in the poop is in the poop. Not sure if that's blood or something else...? As you can imagine, my mind runs wild over something like this.

Same photo, just tried to add it here in two ways.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I would take her/him to the vet with stool sample.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    GsdSlave, CaroleC and Chris like this.
    I agree to get him checked out by a vet.

Young puppies are not vaccinated and are succeptible to many serious life threatening diseases. Many diseases are easier to treat in their early stages, so a prompt diagnosis is extremely important. In addition, a puppy doesn't have a strong reservoir of energy to fight off diseases, the longer you wait the less reservoir he will have to fight things off.

Now, with that, it may just be something he ate or a sensitive stomach, etc. But don't wait around hoping it's nothing - get it checked to make sure.
  5. Econoline

Econoline New Member

Name:
    Christian
    So an update.... 6 hours later another poop is 60% the way back to normal... could it just be some random weird thing they bit or ate last night...? Now that i think of it more, they were chasing a frog for a little bit late yesterday... I don't think they hurt it or ate it, but I don't know they didn't either....

By the way, thank you so much to the people who replied so quickly- this is an extremely helpful forum!

Current poop photo below...

Attached Files:

6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Christian - everyone here does their best to help - and as an aside, this must be one of the very few forums where people can post pictures of poo and nobody objects!

But please, do take your pup [and poo sample] to your vet - if he [or she] isn't 100% better tomorrow. And show the vet the pictures of both poos.
  7. Econoline

Econoline New Member

Name:
    Christian
    Malka likes this.
    Will do! Thank you!