Question re Pugs - plus's and minus's Questions

Discussion in 'Pug' started by lore, Jan 3, 2012.

1. lore

lore New Member

Name:
    Lorraine

Question re Pugs - plus's and minus's

Hey guys

Not a breed I've ever considered, but OH spotted a female going on Freecycle locally. (not sure I agree with that but...), they are ugly but cute, but so is Dougal (yes he's gorgeous but he'd never win bonniest dog).

What's the plus's and minus's about pugs? I've looked online but just curious to see what you guys think?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    Well he snores and farts, dont ever walk behind him if he is waking upstairs. Their teeth are a real problem because their mouth is so mis-shapen and they are not the easieest teeth to clean. They do have quite a few health problems, my old boy has the occ. fit but he has done very well to get to 14yrs.
    But they have wonderful characters Oz thinks he is a collie and when he was younger could just about keep up with them..........they think the are big dogs in disguise
    Yes he is ugly but only a pug owner could love a face like that;-) :grin:
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I always wanted a Pug - got Griffons instead...
  5. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Mine's only a youngster so far the only issue I've had is being paranoid about her damaging her eyes, so the garden has been pretty much pug proofed with mesh surrounding any plants with thorns etc. She does snore and snort but doesn't really fart. I don't clean her teeth but she is raw fed and loves a good gnaw on a bone so hopefully that will suffice. You do need to clean their face folds and keep their nails trimmed but once Tucson got used to it, she no longer struggles against it, she just goes and beats Diesel up once I've finished :lol:. Apart from that she's a complete comedian and makes me laugh out loud everyday. She likes a good old ruff and tumble with the others and loves her walks. No cons for me as yet.
  6. lore

lore New Member

Name:
    Lorraine
    Ok, so so far we have a farting snoring dog who loves to play...hrm...would fit in perfectly with our farting snoring playful Staffy then....:lol:

OH is waiting on a reply from this lady...I think I know the person too, I remember meeting a pug pup last year and there aren't too many of them around...
  7. lore

lore New Member

Name:
    Lorraine
    Er...hubby has moved us on from a kinda interested to emailing the owner and asking for details.

We MAY have an addition to the family soon.

Watch this space.
  8. lore

lore New Member

Name:
    Lorraine
    Bother. It appears to be a rip-off. Now bearing in mind that we are looking on a local freecycle site, and that the advert said the dog was in Invergordon....suddenly she's in Ireland and want's £90 transportation costs, since we can't get to Ireland.

Hrm...also the pictures of the puppy appear to be American, an American Flyer truck thingy, the dog is 14 weeks old allegedly and the pictures seem to have been taken on a really nice day...in Ireland? Given the weather we've had recently?

Rip off? :022: My son was getting so excited!
  9. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Sounds dodgy to me... Any pugs in rescue? ;) xx
  10. Rookgeordiegirl

Name:
    Jeanette
    Very dodgy why was she supposed to be a freebie? When you cant really get a decent pup for less tan £1,000....... me thinks they would take your transportation money and that would be that :-( As for rescue I was on the rescue list for about 4yrs and ended up by getting one through someone on here
    Good Luck in your quest :grin:
  11. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Someone I know from another forum recently got a pug from rescue :)
  12. Rookgeordiegirl

Name:
    Jeanette
    They were very lucky I was on the Pug Club rescue list and nothing came up
  13. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    I think she had been waiting for a while, less than 2 yrs though, not sure where he came from. It was definitely a rescue though.
  14. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Typical scam unfortunately, but I am surprised it was on Freecycle... It needs reporting! There are not so many scams as there once were but they still appear on free ad sites.
  15. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    Sounds very dodgy! well bred, quality pugs cost! I adore them, they are my second favourite breed after CKCs of course. They are such merry little dogs who can really hold their own if you treat them like dogs and not toys!
  16. lore

lore New Member

Name:
    Lorraine
    I was going to report it but the ad has been taken down. I think they realise they've been found out.
  17. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I met a lady at a dog show last year who had got a Pug from rescue. It was extremely fat though but she was trying to slim it down. I was surprised that she was able to get one from rescue as I thought they would be few and far between.

They do seem to suffer from eye problems though as when we used to go to Newmarket Health Trust re Cherry's cataracts there were usually one or two Pugs in the waiting room and the vet said they paid their pension fund as they had a lot of health problems. Lady round the corner from me has a black one and Cherry always liked meeting this little dog-he is such a character.
  18. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    It begs the question though: did these Pugs come from conscientious breeders? They are a breed much abused and overbred by BYBs and puppy farmers - easy to find in pet shops and from dealers.

If it is true that only 10% of all pedigree dogs are bred by show breeders, then the other 90% are out there somewhere and they won't be the ones screened for genetic health issues.
  19. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Even dogs that have parents who are health screened (not just Pugs) can fall foul of health issues. All you can do is do your homework and hope its enough when buying a purebred dog.

If you go along the rescue line, it's a risk you need to be prepared to take as generally speaking you won't know the background especially if it's a stray

Many Tears have Pugs from time to time. They have come in to Pounds here, not often, but have come in. I got an
    acquaintance one through the Pound about a year ago.
    Older boy picked up straying, owner never looked for him :-(
  20. ScoobyDo

ScoobyDo New Member

Name:
    Maureen
    Pugs are the best...but be prepared for lots of hairs, they moult for England.
  21. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    The RSPCA seem to be bashing them as they have a full-page advert in "Dogs Today" showing a Pug saying they can't breath properly and that dogs should be bred for temperament and health and not to win shows.