Questions (What are Northern Inuits like as pets) Questions

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Lucy1, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke

Luke New Member

Wasn't there something about puppies being put down wells, or that pups were found in wells at Eddie's place?
    I'm sure I remember hearing something of the sort along the way. BIG apologies if I'm wrong.
    It just shocks me why the truth is never revealed totally by the remaining one of two "breed founders".
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Heather and Zak

Heather and Zak New Member

Name:
    heather
    Do I hear a pin drop. Yes.
  4. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni

Not wanting to start this bit up again, some labrador owners in this end of the country advertise their pups a andrex dogs(see what i mean)some bordeaux dogs are advertised as DAZ dogs there is no Daz in them:p
    the fact i think that some people advertise them as wolf lookalikes is so what general people will know what they look like.
  5. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    I am so torn by these threads as I too would defend my chosen breed to any perceived attack but I find it very strange that people outside the breed seem more clued up regarding the beginnings and health issues than people who own and breed them. I for one would pride myself in being educated in my breed of dog and be able to answer most questions asked.
    I am posting this from a totally neutral viewpoint.
  6. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    I find it extremely sad,for the future of ANY breed,owners breeders need to be honest and work together all we see here is attacks and mud slinging.

As previously said there are many unanswered questions,if it carries on in the way it has been going then I'm afraid I think it will take a very long time for this breed to be recoginised by the KC.

Myself if I was considering a breed,(goes for all breeds)with this bickering taking place and breeding practices mentioned I'd run a mile and look at other breeds.

We have recently had new diseases in my chosen breed,at no point have I ever seen bickering and arguing about it or where it came from,we move forward we didn't cover it up,we call it progress and test for it now thanks to the AHT.
    The way forward honesty,not secrets or cover ups!
  7. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    Thankyou, my point exactly. Since moving to Ireland, we have been to lots of shows and we have spoken to hoards of people asking what my dogs are, and the first thing they invariably ask is 'is there wolf in that dog?'.
    AS long as I explain their breeding, then its not a problem, I also reiterate, I have never, ever advertised my dogs as wolf look a likes.
    Whatever happened in the beginning matters to me not one jot, my concern is for the welfare and wellbeing of the dogs as they are today, ie; all breeding stock health tested, a responsible body of people to monitor and regulate and to give assistance when and where its needed.
    To be honest, some of the non inuit people on here are the main cause of these threads becoming hostile.
    You show an unhealthy interest in muck raking and slagging off, sad really, I used to like Dogsey, sadly it is becoming like some other forums I wont mention, what happened to coming on and showing off and discussing our pets:-( .
    I am still as yet to be presented with all these sickly dogs you all seem to know so much about, 2 or 3 cases of epilepsy does not an epidemic make.
    Its no wonder most of the NI owners have left Dogsey, as all we face is the usual crap, and when we try our best to answer what we know we might as well bang heads against brick walls.
  8. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    I think the problem with this breed, is that as soon as the truth about everything comes out (They do have Mal/Sibe/GSD traits, they do have all the same health problems, they are not wolves, and were created with no or limited direction and limited ethics), it will no longer be as interesting and mysterious as it seems to people now !
  9. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    But this I think seems to be one of the issues. It seems to everyone (Except NI owners) that there is no 1 single responsible body of people regulating anything, with all the allegations made !
  10. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    i dont think there was ever any mystery, we all love our chosen breeds for different reasons, I always knew the breeds used in creation and as far as I know, there is no breed in existence with a 100% clean bill of health.
  11. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    I started with the NI society and thats where I will finish, any other groups are only there because of clashing ego's, not out of concern for the breed. I have to say that I have never been steered wrong by them and will defend them to the hilt, we make the odd mistake now and then but who doesnt.
  12. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Of course there is no breed with a clean bill of health, but their owners/breeders don't seem so coy about the healt issues !

The mystery lies when the public don't know where they originated from and assume the names I have been faced with (timber wolf/wolf hybrid etc:roll: ) It is a wolfish mystery 'thing' you see what I'm getting at. If the general public all knew their origins the stupidity of the mystery thing would no longer be a novelty and I for one personally think, it wouldnt appeal so much to people, if they just discovered it was a crossbreed made to look like a wolf.

Thats not meant to sound harsh, its just how I see things from the experiences I've had talking to people.
  13. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    How can that be when not even the breed founders can tell you what dogs were used? The claims that some unknown 'Inuit Dogs' imported from wherever were sued yet nothing has been written down, which I find very strange, there is no wolf content, despite the fact that there seems to be at one stage in the breeds development that they were called Wolf Hybrids.
    All there needs is for people to be honest, the problem is if there are indeed some lines with wolf content then they would all be seized under the DWA Act and people aren't willing to take that risk hence the convenient silence and loss of memory!
    Becky
  14. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    But the only ones with any wolf content are the ones that have been crossed with the Czech wolf dog, no one ever denied they were, way back, before my time, called wolf hybrid although a true wolf hybrid is an F1, any other is classed as wolf dog. another reason why another club started up is because we refused to have anything to do with the CWD being added to the breed.
    So off they went and did it anyway, I have seen pictures of the imported dogs and to my mind, they didnt look wolf like at all.
    we have no delusions about gaining Kc recognition, I'm not too fussed either way, if it happens it will be many years down the line.
    Anyone claiming Kc recognition is imminent are misinforming imo, but i am only interested in the breeds welfare now and in years to come. Who's to say that, if any of your breeds had a checkered history, would it put you off owning them, I dont think so.
  15. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    I can provide another example of the kind of honesty and openness within a breed which is truly for the good of that breed.
    TNS in Border Collies is a relatively recent discovery in terms of diagnosis and testing. Its a dreadful condition.
    I remember when the first results came out, they were, [ among other places ], announced on a forum frequented by a large number of BC owners and breeders - completely honestly done to let owners of related dogs know the situation and to encourage more BC breeders to have their dogs tested and get the results to the BC health database, [ which is independently run - no factions of any kind ], and is aimed at eradicating the condition, [ and others ], by pooling results.

This page shows the pedigree`s submitted so far of dogs with TNS in the lines, which, as soon as discovered because of the owners opting for testing, those owners have volunteered the information for the good of the breed, not kept it hidden away.

http://bordercolliehealth.com/TNSLitterPedigrees.html

As it says on the site, " By openly sharing this information Border Collie breeders will more quickly provide Dr. Wilton with enough information to locate the mutation and develop a test for the general population."

That test development for all BCs has now been achieved :grin:
  16. Luz

Luz New Member

Name:
    Laura

Yes they make lovely pets and are fabulously loyal and devoted.
    I had Chihuahua's as a young girl, then saved many dogs from rescue, the most famous was Barney who was loved by most on this forum.
    I fell in love with the Northern Inuit after seeing them at their annual show, I was brought up in the showing world, I didnt like it, and still dont. But I was mesmerised by the beauty and sleekness of the dogs going round the ring.
    I have known the breed for 5 years now and cant fault them one bit.
    People have their opinions like all breeds. I remember we used to get the story of the pea in the brain of the Chihuahua to stop it from growing.
    Now they are a used in fashion! :(

Dont believe all you read, take yourself to a show or meet a recognised Northern Inuit Society breeder.

I read things too when I was looking and it certainly didnt put me off thank god! I now have 3 beauties and I love them like my children.
  17. Zuba

Zuba New Member

Name:
    Donna
    Sorry this thread has got very confusing, you seem to be knowledgeable so is there any wolf content in the NI or not?

ETA dont know why I quoted Mahooli???
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2007
  18. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    I dont claim to be knowledgable, but I can say, hand on heart, there is no wolf in the Northern Inuit, if there were, the DDA, DEFRA and the RSPCA would be down on us like a ton of bricks.
  19. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    If they knew !

There are people that advertise as having wolf hybrids, they are duly reported, the RSPCA give them a courtesy phone call to check the story, the story is denied, hence they advertise as having wolf hybrids and so it goes on !
  20. Luz

Luz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    This thread is way off topic.
  21. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    You cannot categorically state that as the beginnings of NI's seem to be lost in the mists of time (although not that much time) one of the 'top' people in NI's appears to have been a) taken to court for having/advertising wolf hybrids and b) been recorded on video tape for also promoting wolf hybrids that suddenly changed into NI's. I for one am not convinced that there isn't wolf, albeit very diluted now, in the origins of the NI!
    Becky
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.