Questions (What are Northern Inuits like as pets) Questions

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Lucy1, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    The point I was making when I said that is that, since Malamutes have been in this Country, since the 60's, a lot of research was done into breeding from good stock with minimal health problems, so inevitably, the Mals that are here have never suffered from some of the health issues that are still evident in some American/Canadian lines. Therefore even though some health issues are listed as being within the breed, as far as I am aware, some of them have never reared their ugly heads in the UK. So I just feel it's an injustice to the breed as we know it here, to worry people about health issues that have never been here.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I see but I am sure they are doing the right thing in the US too. Most of the sites I look at are from there and they seem quite rightly very proud of the breed.
  4. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Yes they are.

But if you've looked enough you would have also seen the 'Giant Malamutes' :roll: and their 'breeders' are proud of them too. It doesn't make them right.

There is a difference between 'apparently' doing the right thing, and 'truly' doing the right thing for a breed ;-)
  5. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    What I did read about was the Kotzebue and M'loot dogs.
  6. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Those are the founder lines for Mals.
  7. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    What I read (and please correct me if I have misunderstood) was that you can get either type or a Mal or a combination? I liked the idea of the smaller one that came in grey and only grey I think it was the Kotzebue?
  8. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Not sure what you mean by "you can get either type or a Mal or a combination"

Kotzebue and M'Loot are the founder lines, therefore you would no longer get one type or the other. But of course in the beginning as two different lines were used, of course you could get a dog of either type or a combination, the same as now, you wouldn't use two dogs the same, you would use dogs of varying type to complement each other, to get a combination of the overall picture you eventually want. If you now look at different kennels, you would see different types, but all (reputable ones) striving to create the original types of Malamute that could do the original job they were bred for, which was sledding. For this reason bigger is not better, as the best sled dogs are lower in the body to the ground, having legs correctly proportioned to the body, for ease of pulling. Remember Mals are not racing dogs, they are freight dogs, weight pulling dogs.
  9. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I see thanks, sorry was real tired last night hence the lack of sense but luckily you understood what I meant.
  10. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Yes sorry In was tired too and missed your other point. Yes the Kotzebue dogs were only grey and smaller than the M'Loot line, because Eva Seeley (Kotzebue) was very strict re her breeding stock and Paul Voelker (M'Loot) was not so much, so he had mals of varying sizes and colours, hope that makes sense ...lol
  11. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Yes, that is great thanks for the info. I did read that 'true Kotzebue' were grey. I do have a soft spot for greys.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.