Return of wolves revives need for guard dogs Discussions

Discussion in 'Working Dogs Forum' started by Loki's mum, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill

Return of wolves revives need for guard dogs

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Just seen this link. Really interesting story - and a change for the better I think, for all concerned!
  4. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Nice find Gill!
  5. Sundance

Sundance New Member

Name:
    Trish
  6. scout75

scout75

Name:
    scout
    Where I lived in Italy, Maremmas were used extensively as livestock guards.. It made walking anywhere an absolute nightmare though as they would come after my dogs from miles away. :cry:

I don't have many pictures as I was too busy running normally (or screaming trying to keep them away!) but on this occasion I was fairly close to the car when this pack came so managed to get my dogs safe in time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Just caught up with this thread. Beautiful Maremmas. I can imagine it would be very frightening to encounter these dogs on your walks. They certainly look like they mean business!
  8. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    I can't see the pictures ... and I LOVE Maremmas!!

Help!!
  9. scout75

scout75

Name:
    scout
    Oh...I'm not sure why? They are still appearing visible to me? :017:
  10. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Got it now!! Beautiful dogs, they don't look at all scarey, just very gorgeous.
  11. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    I bet they look scary when they're in full guarding mode running towards you.;-) That's the thing about LGDs - they won't waste energy on a full on display if there's no perceived threat, They are nothing if not lazy!
  12. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    common sense would make u be scared if u and your dog came across a pack guarding their flock!!
  13. scout75

scout75

Name:
    scout
    They are sadly one the the main reasons I returned to the UK. :-(

They are very aggressive and as you can see, will leave the flock to search out dogs and they are all over the place so there are no safe areas. I have had dogs running beside my car attacking the windows to get to my dogs for more than 3 miles (it's very hard to outrun them because a lot of the roads are dirt track and potholed so you can't go fast)

I was once chased by a pack of 9 but was luckily close to the car when I saw them coming down the mountain so managed to get the boys back inside.

As individuals they aren't quite as brave, one morning I opened my cabin door and there was a lone male at the bottom of my land and my dogs took off for him. I ran after them but they all disappeared around the corner where I then heard growling and snarling and started to run faster! By the time I got there, Shilah was standing there in a total panic, the Maremma was legging it up the hill and Kofi was swaggering back down the path having seen the intruder off! :shock:

They are beautiful dogs but if I never see one again it will be too soon! :lol: