Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy and a cat Questions

Discussion in 'Rhodesian Ridgeback' started by Berto, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Berto

Berto New Member

Name:
    Vanda

Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy and a cat

Greetings, I have RR_ 5 month old for 2 weeks now., he is adorable and sweet in enormous ways., so gentle. He came so frightened by everything, with unfamiliar scar on his back, he is completely addicted to me from the first start..We did a lot in this short period..Question is or more likely an advice is that I would ask., The puppy 'brings' home what he sees and experience outside with other dogs..We have a 3 year old very sensitive cat, used to a dog who loved him, whom he likes..but treats him like he is a dog as well..so there is a danger sweet Charlie could harm him by chasing him and desperately yearning to bite him in the play. Does anyone have any similar case or advice?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome to the forum Vanda. It is early days yet, and your puppy may never have seen a cat before. Try to keep the time they spend together quiet and calm, and try to see that there is someone to check the puppy's behaviour. Make sure your cat always has an easy escape route if the puppy gets too full-on.
    Has your RR come direct from a breeder or is he a rehome/rescue? You say he has an unfamiliar scar on his back. If this is on his ridge, could he have had an operation to repair a dermoid sinus?
  4. Berto

Berto New Member

Name:
    Vanda
    Thank you for the greeting wish and for your answer. We are making some progress in tiny steps, but he does wants to bite his tail or to chase him, but he is also much calmer than before. I think he started to really see him as someone we love, too. Charlie is very stubborn, but with enormously big heart. I got him directly from a breeder. Nice people, but something happened there they tried to hid from me. They said that one of his brothers bit him in a play., but the scar is really big and curved so there is a background they obviously wanted not to tell. Also, they didn't mentioned the scar when we were talking for weeks, so I saw it when I arrived in another state to bring him home. And I've seen scars, all kind, when I worked at animal shelter. Also, he has an expressive attitude that I have seen, today, for the second time..when some owners punish their dog while he is around..He freezes, he growls and immediately turn around and goes away and he never wants to go away if there is another dog in front of him. I need to come up with 'miracles' so he can realize that we need to go home. So, there was definitely something going on, where he lived. He is too young, too playful to have an attitude on this, unless he experienced the same so the frequency is familiar to him. I guess it shouldn't be d. sinus, because of the look of the scar.. I can take a picture later and post it for you to see. I am thankful for your opinion. Sorry, for the long reply and thanks again for answering. If you have any tips or advice for food or something in behaviore..I am always ready to improve so he can live happy and healthy life..Greetings..