Rough Collie and cats ? Behaviour

Discussion in 'Collie (Rough)' started by Maami_Ri, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Maami_Ri

Maami_Ri New Member

Name:
    Marie

Rough Collie and cats ?

Hi everyone !

I will soon welcome a 1 yo Rough Collie in my home. It's an adorable female, Caline, it's actually my grandmother's. Unfortunately my grandmother is sick and will soon have to enter a nursing home. She asked me to take Caline, as she knows I love dogs and my beloved cocker passed away 3 months ago.

I am thrilled to welcome Caline in my home, however I don't know her very well and -what worries me the most- I have 3 cats... One of them is only 4 months old and I'm scared something might happen.
    I will do my best so everyone can live together peacefully, but I'm worried sick just thinking about the fact that I might be distracted and accidents happen so fast...
    My cats know dogs since they knew my old cocker, but Caline has never lived with a cat.

Do you have any experience about Rough Collies coexisting with cats ?
    Any idea how I can make it easy for everyone ?

Thank you in advance for your help !

Marie
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. JerseyFamily

JerseyFamily New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    CaroleC likes this.
    I see no one responded. We had a female collie, EmilyJane for 15 years arrived about 34 years ago. We were a foster home for puppies and cats, had 3 kids, eventually a second dog of our own. Emily never harmed any cats or dogs. She never played with them despite growing up with them. I suspect that often happens if both are babies. She was a perfect dog with all the fosters, all visiting kids.
    Make sure the cats can get away. We blocked the stairs to 2nd floor so cats could come up and down but could get away from other pets. Remember a cat will smack a dog if cornered, usually just enough to make dog back up. Hope the arrangement worked!