Rough Collie - what are they like as pets? Questions

Discussion in 'Collie (Rough)' started by werewolf, Jul 4, 2010.

1. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private

Rough Collie - what are they like as pets?

What are they like as pets?
    Are there any on Dogsey? If not why not, are they not a popular breed?
    I know of someone who owned one years ago, (I did not know her at the time) and she says the dog was a fab pet.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    A friend of mine has just got his second.
    He adores them and thinks they are marvellous pets.
    High maintainance though I think.
  4. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Other than their gorgeous fluffy coats, what do you mean by high maintenance?
  5. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    It was their gorgeous fluffy coats I was refering to :mrgreen:

BTW Rough Collies are the one dog Mo won't have anything to do with. She either ignores them completely or if she is feeling grumpy her lips curl and she snarles at them.
    I have no idea why :?
  6. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Ahh thanks xxx

There are three Shelties in the village, one is a minature Lassie 'look a like', lovely lad, though he can be yappy at cars and other dogs.

I wonder why MO feels like that? Maybe she doesn't like all that fur!!!! XXxxxxxx
  7. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    Lol I have no idea I thought at first it was a one off but no, every one we meet it's lip curling time.
    Something must have happen before we had her I think.
  8. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Awww bless her xxxx
  9. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    I used to show and breed rough collies as well as smooth collies (thier short haired cousins) many years ago when my husband was alive.
    They were the most beautiful well behaved dogs. I would advise going to a breeder who breeds for show though to ensure good temprement and calmer disposition.
    They are very intelligent but not as bouncy as border collies.
    I must admit I havn't seem many around this area for a while.
  10. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Thanks xxx I don't know if I will ever have one but thanks for the advice ref breeders xxxx I have never seen one around here.
  11. trotsky1919

trotsky1919 New Member

Name:
    chris
    we have a border collie and he as a friend who is a rough one named brooklyn jax gets on really well with him until he gets bored i think that is mainly because he isnt active enough for him so he gets bored.jax true to his breed is very full of energy were as brooklyn like most of his breed are not active enough and because of the good old kennel club have been inbred to much and to me a beautifull dog as been spoiled thank god they have never got there hands on borders but then again they never could because of all the differant types.
  12. bens mum

bens mum New Member

Name:
    cathy
    Ben is a rough collie x retreiver. his mum is a smooth coated. and his dad is a rough collie x retreiver. and hes got many RCs traits. they where used for herding cattle. and when bens playing he will *hook* u with his paw.
    but hes a bright dog. easy to look after. his coat. hmm needs alot of looking after. so the clippers came hout this year.
    but id 100% say yes fabulous dogs. :)
  13. logan44

logan44 New Member

Name:
    julie
    gosh, not been on for ages lol, but as rough collies are close to my heart just had to reply, imo they make brilliant pets ,i have owned two and they were the most loviest ,gentle dogs- as well as being very beautiful of course !!!, yes their coats do take a lot of care ,but to see a beautifully groomed rough collie is lovely- nothing worse than seeing a negleted coat on a rc, i don,t think you do see so many around now, myself i prefer the american rough collie and if i had the money i would defo have one, both mine were outside the breed standard- being too large too show, a lot of the ones i see now look more like shelties as they seem very small these days, they come in gorgeous colours, merles, sables and tri- both mine were tri as thats my preference, i know a lot of ppl in the breed and they can be a little shy of strangers and very vocal as well lol- but are gorgeous , loving dogs x
  14. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    We see a couple regularly when out on walks and they are nice temperament dogs. Used to know someone who had one and hers was very intelligent-when she had washing out it used to bark if it started to rain!

The one we see quite often seems really old for its age though-Parker is 8 and a half and really fast and agile and I thought the rough Collie was about 11 but it is only 7! It plods around the heath really slowly-don't know if they age more like this one or if it is just this particular dog?
  15. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I could have almost written this :grin: I have never owned one, but walked two for people in the village where I grew up. Both were fantastic pet dogs and were beautiful in temperament as well as in looks. I would possibly consider one if you could get an old-fashioned large rough collie, with a less fine/thin head muzzle - ie how they were bred many years ago. These days, unfortunately, they seem to be bred smaller, with a HUGE coat and very fine head/muzzle, and I would also stick my neck out and say less brain. They are certainly very far removed from the working dog they once were.

Logan - I prefer the American bred collies too, as they seem to be more like the collie of old.
  16. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    I love this breed, but prefer them more with the "Lassie" look - a finer head with a lot less coat. A truly stunning breed in this form imo! :049:
  17. crestnut

crestnut New Member

Name:
    lynda
    Oh One of my bosses has just got herself a gorgeous Rough Collie pup. She already had 2 and lost her older one as it had a large bowel tumour. It was 16years old and also gorgeous. Her new baby Bailey is so cute and a lovable little thing
    There are loads at Shows but must admit I have never seen any in my local area for years
  18. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Thanks everyone xxxx
    ref the USA ones, I have to say I watched a USA breed programme and fell in love with them. I am not sure how much of a difference there is, I know their height is different and that Lassie (the various dogs that played that role) were simply beautiful. One thing I have come across, looking at pics, is some that look like they have had their hair 'back' combed , well OTT. I prefer the natural, well groomed but not so bouffant