Rough Collie - would love to hear members experiences Discussions

Discussion in 'Collie (Rough)' started by HoneyBunny, Mar 14, 2011.

1. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin

Rough Collie - would love to hear members experiences

Hello I am getting a Rough Collie puppy in July. Met the breeder (vet recommended) and seen parents and grandparents. And done A LOT of research on this breed.

The reason for this thread is I would love to hear stories about members experiences with the RC. Good and bad :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Pics would be fab, I love Rough Collies, though it appears I prefer the 'old fashioned' and USA look.
  4. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

How exciting - will you post some pics?

I grew up with a Rough Collie - a boy, sable & white.

He was the most gentle, gorgeous, lovely dog that any child could wish for and I absolutely adored him.

Most RCs that I've met are pretty calm and 'biddable'.

What colour RC are you getting? Great that you've done lots of research - they are lovely dogs and as puppies they are simply ADORABLE.

Pics please!
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Would love to see some photos when you get your pup. Are you getting a dog or bitch? Colour?

I have always loved Rough Collies, but like Werewolf, I prefer the old fashioned type of collie that you don't see nowadays in this country (ie a larger dog with less coat).

I used to walk two RCs (a dog and a bitch, owned by different people) when I was a child in the village where I grew up in the Lakes. They were both beautiful dogs - in looks and temperament.

In particular I fell in love with the male RC, who was called Han. He was just a dream to walk - stunningly gorgeous, well mannered, good with other dogs, loved people and he was well trained. Unfortunately he had one quirk, which was that he chased trains :-( He could easily be told not to when a train was coming and he would be fine, but unfortunately one day one of the guests of the hotel where Han lived left a gate open, and he went wandering. He ended up by a train line and you can guess the rest I am sure :-( I was heartbroken, as were his owners.

After I got my first dog (a rescue GSD) I was considering a companion for her and really fancied a rough. I wrote a letter to the people who owned Han (even though I hadn't seen them in about 15 years!) to see which breeder he had come from. Unfortunately the breeder wasn't breeding any longer, however I got a lovely letter back from Han's owners, with a couple of photos of him, but was very sad to learn that such was the devastation and heartbreak caused by losing Han that day, they never felt they could have another dog again :-(

Sorry for waffling on but any talk of rough collies always brings memories of Han back to me :) He was wonderful.

I am sure you will have many happy years with your collie, and I look forward to hearing all about it :)
  6. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    Yep once I get her here will be lot's of pics:)

Aw he sounds so sweet:grin:

I am getting a sable and white bitch. Yes they are lovely dogs :)

One thing with my research that has confused me is their height. Some books class them as medium or large. I am not bothered about the size as long as she does not get as big as a Saint Bernerd:lol:
  7. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    I am getting a bitch sable and white and will post many pics:)

I am so sorry Moobli that's just awful:-(

I cant wait to get her just hoping no jealous issuses will come from Honey.
  8. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    It was very sad, but it was a long time ago now. I have very fond memories of Han.

Have you thought of a name for your wee girlie yet? I look forward to the pics, rough collie pups are just gorgeous.
  9. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    My grandparents neighbours always had a Rough Collie, the dog that I remember was a big male sable and white named Duke. I ADORED Duke, he was such a nice boy, would come down to see us all the time. He was so gentle and sweet! I was really sad when he died.

My Grandma had RC's all her life. They were a very popular farm dog. My grandma tells me stories of the dogs, but what seems to come through most is their love of the kids (there were 11 of them), and their protection of the kids.

I would love one, someday.
  10. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I will try and take a photo of the old photos that Han's owners sent to me and will post them on here tomorrow :)
  11. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    Thank you Moobli that would be lovely:)

Thank you Sara'n'Scout that was lovely:)

Yes lot's of names got five that are my fave but my friends laugh at the names:blush:

Can I ask is there anyway of avoidingyour first dog getting jealous of a pup?

Lastly are RC taller than BC?
  12. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    Many years ago (over 40) I had a rough collie and he was a beautiful dog in temperament and looks. He was a large rich sable and white dog and did not have such a heavy coat like the modern smaller rough collie has, so I suppose he would be classed as an old-fashioned collie. He was very active, bright, confident and quite protective with a lot of the traditional collie herding instinct, which I think is not evident in the modern rough collie.
    I hope you enjoy your collie as much as I enjoyed my Rob and that she is with you for many years.
  13. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    Thank you very much aerolor. :) I can't wait to get her
  14. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    My gran used to have a RC called Kim when I was growing up, beautiful dog, insdie and out. He adored my gran, totally smitten. I adored him too...I remember being taught by my aounties to put a chip half way in my mouth and let him eat the rest!!!!!! :) I must only have been about 4..he was so gentle though (I wouldn't recommend it as being a good or sensible thing to do though...)
    When the coalman came Kim used to leg it into the living room and sit on my gran's knee!!!!! Bless. Just such a lovely,lovely dog.

We have one locally, again a lovely dog, great with the owner's grandkids but pretty aloof with everyone else.

I love them...can you tell?
  15. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    Thank you Ramble another lovely story about RC:)
  16. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    Very sorry to be a pain but would someone mind answering my previous questions just getting very excited, nervous and don't want to do anything wrong:-(
  17. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    What a wonderful dog Rob sounded Aerolor. I think rough collies were very popular as pets 30-40 years ago, but now they seem to be primarily show dogs, which is a shame.

I can also agree with your description of Rob's temperament. Han was also a very smart boy, he was outgoing, intelligent and active - we used to walk him for miles and he could go and go. I don't know much about the modern rough collie, as I stopped looking for one that would suit my requirements about ten years ago when I couldn't find such a dog.

I am very much looking forward to Honeybunny's pup, to find out whether the modern dog lives up the standards set by that traditional collie all of us of a certain age seem to remember and love :grin:
  18. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I think they were once considered a medium-large dog. From memory, the standard is for dogs to be 24-26 inch at the shoulder and bitches slightly less. However, over recent years in the UK they seem to have been bred smaller and smaller, so they would probably be classed as a medium dog now.
  19. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    I have a almost 9 year old girlie Poppy (Eilroy Starlight Flier) was shown as a pup (not by me)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and doing what Roughies do best!

[​IMG]
  20. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Sorry to hear of Han, honestly it has brought a tear to my eye reading that. Poor boy and his 'parents'.

Honeybunny, all the best and keep us posted xxxxx
  21. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Ps honeybunny, is there a website for the breeder of your pup to be? xxxxx