Rough Collie - would love to hear members experiences Discussions

Discussion in 'Collie (Rough)' started by HoneyBunny, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Sorry for missing these questions out before - was too busy reminiscing! :lol:

Firstly, what is your current dog like with other dogs and puppies? If she is generally friendly to other dogs anyway, then that is a good start. I have always introduced any new dog or pup to the current dog on fairly neutral ground, even just outside in the garden. Don't over-protect the pup unless your original dog is getting too pushy or actively aggressive. Always make sure that you give your current dog loads of fuss and attention, before you give it to the pup.

Best of luck, and if you have any issues just ask. There are loads of people with plenty of experience on here.

And to reply to your last question - Border Collies come in all shapes and sizes. I had a lovely lad who was as tall as my GSDs! I would think your RC bitch will probably end up a similar size to a medium size BC. Did you meet the parents of your pup? If so, you can gauge a little from their size etc. Which breeder is your pup coming from? I bet you can't wait :mrgreen:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    I have lost touch with the breed as well Mooblie, but I did have a lovely large Sheltie dog who was not quite like the modern sheltie, with their fine bones and looking like balls of fluff. He was about 20" at the shoulder and again was not heavily coated. He also was active and very long lived (to nearly 18years). Everybody thought he was a little rough collie, so he must have been "old fashioned" as well :lol: The biggest problem with shelties and rough collies, of course, is the coat care and I honestly think they do better and look better with a lighter weight coat. Both my collie and my sheltie loved to swim, and their coats definitely hampered them - getting dry was also a job. If I could find the "old fashioned" type in either of these breeds I would consider myself lucky.
  4. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    Thank you wereolf, will keep you posted:grin:

Thanks for the infor Moobli :)

Poopy is goregeous Kerriebaby:)

Yep here it is.
    http://collienet.com/breeders/Ladnar_rough_collies.htm

Pixi is the mum and Jack the dad. xxxxx

Thank you Moobli for infor. Honey loves dogs when we are out all she wants to play lol.
  5. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    Ladnar!!!!!!!!!

I am VERY jealous..big big fan of their dogs!
  6. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    Thank you Kerriebaby:) they are beautiful dogs
  7. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    I think today's RCs are rather smaller than they used to be but their coats are actually larger/wider, if that makes sense?

Yes - your RC would be taller than a BC I should think.

A sable and white - gorgeous!!!

Can't wait to see the pics :mrgreen:

edit

Just read the other posts, I think back when we had a RC he was definitely classed as 'large', but today perhaps they are 'medium'?

Ladnar - am off right now to look at their dogs!!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2011
  8. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    GORGEOUS!!!!

Jack and Pixi are both STUNNING. Seriously.

I think you are going to have one good looking pup!!!
  9. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    Thank you I can't wait :)

I am just hoping she can keep up with Honey as she is an incredibly high energy dog:)

As a lot of people say RC say they can be couch potatoes:grin:
  10. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    OMG! I LOVE Jack, he is just the sort of collie I love. I would love to know whether he produces male pups as gorgeous as he is. He looks quite a big dog too - have you met him in the flesh Honey? Is he a big dog? What is his temperament like?
  11. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    Yes Moobli I met them last weekend and saw all the dogs. Pixi is not a very big collie and a very laid back temperment and as for Jack he is a big dog and a very loving temperment:)
  12. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

My RC had a lot of energy; he could walk for miles and used to have a lot of exercise.

I don't think RCs tend to be as excitable as some other breeds - young Labs for instance - but I don't think you need to worry about your new girl's energy level once you can exercise her fully :)

Can't wait to see the pics :)
  13. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    Thank you TabithaJ for the infor :grin:

Everyone says they are less energetic than BC which I am thankful for as I do have arthritis which means I need to excersise but can't go for five hours straight lol.

I cant wait to get her and can't believe Honey is two next friday:shock:
  14. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    I used to show Rough Collies and have bred them. They are lovely dogs, not high energy like the border collie, but have stamina to keep going if you want them too and very trainable.
    Most do seem to be very big chewers when teething so be prepared for that. Once teething is out of the way they are easy.
  15. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    M friend has a ladnar bitch, Shes fantastic, shes the size of a biggish (not huge) bc
  16. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    My friends bitch is on the site, in the owned by others section! Tanni!
  17. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    Poppy is quite small for a roughie, but she has bags of character. Will walk for miles, very loving and will cuddle all you want. She is not a couch potato, had I had her younger, I would deffo have put her in agility or WT.
  18. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Jack sounds fab :grin: I don't think a Rough would be the right choice for my lifestyle just at the moment, but maybe in the future who knows :grin: Look forward to seeing how your little one turns out.

:lol: I think you will find that the Rough is a lot less demanding in terms of physical and mental exercise - and you won't have the inherent herding instinct to cope with either :grin: I am sure a Rough will be the perfect dog for you :)
  19. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    There's a lovely tricoloured one that goes to training classes near me, he's only 20 weeks old gorgeous and fluffy.

Think I prefer the smooth variety though.
  20. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    Thank you madmare for the warning:) I have been told that RC make great dogs for first time dog owners.

Thank you mishyflynn for the infor:)

She's goregeous:)

Thanks Kerriebaby, Poppy sounds lovely.

Moobli thanks:grin: and maybe you will end up getting a RC.

Yes the herding instinct would not of been fun. I can't wait for her:)

I bet he's gorge!! I prefer dogs with fur:grin:
  21. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    I am completely torn now I found out where my grandad got his RC from and so rang the breeder they invited me over to come and see his dogs. And they are from the Brazilian lines and are the complete look of Lassie. They aren't small. They are exactly how I remember a typical RC. I don't know what to do.