Rough Collie - would love to hear members experiences Discussions

Discussion in 'Collie (Rough)' started by HoneyBunny, Mar 14, 2011.

1. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    How are they with Health testing etc? do they have a website?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    Hey mishflynn they have a website. They come with their eye tests and hip tests. And apparently they breed for temperament not for how they look.
  4. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    can we see the website?
  5. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
  6. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Personally I prefer the Jack dog from the Ladnar breeder tbh.

Have you already given word to Ladnar that you definitely want a pup from their litter? Have you paid a deposit? It is entirely up to you, but I think if you already have your name down for a Ladnar pup, and are happy with them as breeders etc, then I would stick with your original choice.
  7. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    Jack is a very gorgeous RC. Have not paid a deposit yet as obvisouly the pups haven't been born yet. Tbh I am going to have a major think. I just got over excited that the dogs are from the lines my grandad had and that the breeder has invited me over for next time for Honey to meet the RC.

And it's just traveling issues Ladnar are three hours away from me but I am completely willing to do it for my RC pup :)
  8. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    I dont like the heads on these dogs, they're still too Sheltie-like imo. I guess I'm too used to Canadian Collies. I truly like the flat stop better.

I fount a couple of Double Dilute Collies on Petfinder yesterday (thanks alot for getting me thinking about it!) thankfully they're too far away to adopt. Both are Deaf and mostly blind... I would love one!
  9. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    Hi, Sara'n'Scout have you seen the ladnar site? Apparently these are from the Brazilian line.

Get one!:mrgreen: and haha sorry:grin:
  10. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Yes I did look at the Ladner site, they dont look quite right either :) I wish I had a Pic of the Collie ay my grandparents farm when I was growing up. He was a HUGE sable and white dog, with a beautiful head (in my memory anyway) and perfect little white feet (well they looked little compared to the rest of him!) My Springer x, who had oversize feet, had nearly the same size feet, and she was less than half his size! I adored Duke... which is probably why I'm picky about how they look... I want them to look just like him! :)
  11. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    I actually took pics of the ones I met today I will upload them later. My grandad's Roughs were the old breed look. Which did you prefer the Ladner or Londer?

Duke sounds adorable and your Springer X.:grin:
  12. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    I'll take another look this evening, I'm about to go out for a walk with the monsters. I'll let you know tonight!
  13. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    Ok thank you hun:) have fun and be carefl.
  14. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    k so just woke up from my inpromptu nap after walking for miles (nice day, so Oliver got the benefit of a nice long off-leash run up the road) Took a look at both websites. and honestly, I lean towards the Ladner dog Jack. his head is better than any of the other dogs on both sites. He looks nice and big, but hard to tell from a picture. And his markings are truly beautiful.

Ladner also has more info on their site than Londer, and I like that. If those were my only two choices, I'd go with Ladner. But I'd want to meet some of their dogs, and see the temperament, and movement, before commiting :)
  15. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    idont think the londer ones look like a old fashioned type at all.

Jack from ladnar looks stunning, id go from a pup from him!
  16. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
  17. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Can you meet both litters and see what your gut reaction is, and then decide...?

Personally I think the Ladnar dogs are stunning.

But again, your best bet if possible is to meet both sets of pups :)
  18. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    Thank you everyone for your comments :)

Yeah I decided when the pups are born I am going to have a look at both litters and go from there.
  19. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

I think this is a wise choice.

You will probably find that one pup from one litter will 'feel' like The One :)

Also look very carefully at the parents and any other older dogs that you can possibly get to meet.
  20. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny New Member

Name:
    yazmin
    Thanks TabithaJ :)

Yeah that's what I thought :)

I am going to upload pictures from the Londer
  21. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Do you know at what stage with each litter you will be asked to pick a pup?

I was once asked to choose a pup when the litter was three weeks old. At that stage we could already see differences between the pups BUT I still thought it was too early. I put down a deposit - then went back several times, realised 'my' pup did not like being touched by people, and backed out. Am so glad I did back out, to be frank.

Which breeder that you are looking at has done the most exhaustive health tests?

I noticed that the Londer breeders have three breeds - RCs, Smooth Collies, and a third breed entirely.