Saint bernard with bengal cats Behaviour

Discussion in 'St. Bernard' started by baieykalliboo, May 30, 2006.

1. baieykalliboo

baieykalliboo New Member

Saint bernard with bengal cats

hi. i am thinking of buying a saint bernard puppy as i have always wanted one. i just wondered what peoples experiences are with large dogs and cats. my three bengals are all indoor cats and im worried they will go timid, if i get a puppy and introduce properly, they should be ok shouldnt they? they have never seen a dog so no idea what they will think to one. any tips etc? ive heard you have to be careful with saint bernards as they throw themselves down on the floor and will lay on anything in their way? is this true? i dont want me poor kitties getting squashed! :shock: thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Amie

Amie New Member

Name:
    Vicki
    I have leonbergers and they get on fine with the Cat.;-)
  4. hectorsmum

hectorsmum New Member

Name:
    julie
    Any big will just flop down wherever and whenever so you would have to be vigilant but the cats would be boss and the dog would know where they are with the cats.

a careful introduction would be needed and the dog taught not to pester the cats, and the cats had a safe bolt hole.

i dont see why it wouldn't work, in time they would tolerate each other if not be friends.
  5. hectorsmum

hectorsmum New Member

Name:
    julie
    ha ha ha!

beat me to it:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  6. Amie

Amie New Member

Name:
    Vicki

My reply was pretty short:roll:HAHA
  7. baieykalliboo

baieykalliboo New Member

thanks everyone. im more happy about mixing dogs and cats now. :)
  8. Bodhi

Bodhi New Member

Name:
    Dizzy
    Well - i have moved back to my parents and they have a begal and a siamese.

If your Bengals are "typical" like this one, they won't bat an eye lid, and will probably try and talk to the dog like Shan does.

If you are getting a puppy, the cats will adjust much easier than bringing in a full grown dog.

Unless your cats have experienced dogs before and had some issue, I wouldn't worry too much.
  9. brandy barrel

brandy barrel New Member

I have a St Bernard and three other dogs and two cats!!! One of our cats has attitude from time to time, but other than that they get on fine. We got our cats first and then introduced the dogs. Once your dog learns it's boundaries you should be ok, but St Bernards are very clumsy!! Ours trips over his own feet!! Just be careful your cats can escape when he wants to play!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, he is a real softy, you couldn't ask for a nicer nature.