Seizures Health

Discussion in 'Cavalier King Charles Spaniel' started by flphotog, Jul 11, 2021.

1. flphotog

flphotog New Member

Name:
    Carson Wilcox

Seizures

I have a 6 year old Cavalier who started having seizures about a year ago. I took to a Neurologist last march and while he did find some issues he did not find any cause for the seizures. At the moment he is on a ton of meds but is still not well controlled. I also started him on MCT oil, I tried CBD oil but that did nothing. I also just started him on an antioxidant a little over a week ago.but it's still to early to tell.
    Today has been an unusual and very bad day, so far he has had 4 seizures. I've been in touch with the nurse from the neurologist office and she ok'd and extra dose of Potassium Bromide until she talks with the Dr. tomorrow.
    Just wondering if anyone has had any experience in this area?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I used to show Cavaliers and over roughly 25 years I had quite a few of them. I only had one Cavalier who had a single seizure at 6 years. Six is not a typical age to develop true epilepsy, and in her case the reason was found to be due to a malabsorption syndrome. She had an animal fat free diet supplemented with coconut oil, and never had another episode. She had developed a coarse coat, but on her new diet she re-grew a short puppy type coat, and lived into her early teens.
    My last Cavalier died in the mid nineties, so I am not au fair with current bloodlines.
  4. flphotog

flphotog New Member

Name:
    Carson Wilcox
    Thanks for the response, I'm pretty sure that this current cluster was caused by the Advantage Multi I put on him on Sat, so he will be getting something else next month.
    I've also stated him an antioxidant treats.
    No actually cause has been found for the seizures so I'm really hoping that the MCT oil and antioxidants will at least enable me to reduce the number of meds he is currently on because it is a lot and I'm not happy about that.