Senior JRT - need dietry advice Diet

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by George Legge, May 8, 2020.

1. George Legge

George Legge New Member

Name:
    George

Senior JRT - need dietry advice

Hi,

My mother has a long legged JRT who will soon be turning 9 soon.

I had him up to the vet recently with a dry skin issue which is now cleared up after a week of antibiotics.

The vet mentioned that he is overweight, 10 kgs, and should now be on senior dog food. I had no idea there was even such a thing.

However, he is quite a fussy little thing, so I am worried he wont like the dog food I get him cos he has eaten Bakers Meaty Meals all his life and doesnt eat the crunchie ones.

I have looked around for some soft dog food but I have no idea what they look like cos they only show the packets and not the actual food.

So I was wondering if anyone knew of a good senior food that is like the meaty meals texture that I can initially try out as I cant afford to buy many different ones that he might not eat.

I guess it might matter that I am in The UK so will need UK brands.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

George.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Personally, I'd just feed him a little less of what he likes.

Going back, not many bought commercial food and they certainly didn't have puppy, junior, senior etc and it didn't do the dogs any harm.

I weigh my girl's food so it's easy to adjust slightly up and down if her weight fluctuates which it does on occasion
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I never used to change mine onto senior, I just kept an eye on their weight and cut down quantity if need be.
    The idea of senior food was that it had less calories and protein than normal food, as an older dog didn't need so much of either (on the assumption that it is less active).
  5. George Legge

George Legge New Member

Name:
    George
    Ah ok thanks, I'll monitor what hes eating then.

He has always just gotten a top up of his food bowl as and when it was getting low and he goes back and forth to it as he likes and doesnt gulp it all down like some dogs.

But thats clearly not good enough for him now, so I'll try and work out what he has daily now then cut it down.

He's always been slim and fit tho, maybe I should start eating his food too :)

Thanks again for the advice.