Sensitive stomach Questions

Discussion in 'Bloodhound' started by Sidney56, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Sidney56

Sidney56 New Member

Name:
    Sidney E Cooper

Sensitive stomach

Hi, fellow Bloodhound owners. I am new to the forum but I have a Bloodhound rescue boy, Chester, who will soon be three years old. We have had much fun together and I have learned all the typical things about Bloodhounds behavior, have had him in odor training, have tried to be as good an owner as possible to a dog on his third home. Truth be known, I love him to death, even the drool!

I have discussed bloat and torsion with the vet and am prepared to act if symptoms occur. But today's question is more of the garden variety type: has anyone else experienced life with a Bloodhound who has a sensitive stomach?

He has had regurgitation issues over the course of our time together. He likes to eat grass. I have him on Pepcid at the advice of the vet. The last couple of days he has thrown up which is unusual for him. We have narrowed down the list of possible reasons to a sensitive stomach and are restricting his diet. I was a little too handy with the treats I think. So no more cookies, or bites of what I am eating.

Anybody else have any experience with this in Bloodhounds? Any words of advice or encouragement would be appreciated!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Sidney56 and CaroleC like this.
    Hi, not a bloodhound owner , however my dogs like to eat grass fairly regularly and often have a spew afterwards.

they know which grass to eat instinctively, and I believe it’s the grass that helps them bring it up.

although it’s annoying when it comes up inside , it’s a normal thing for a dog to do provided they’re not eating the wrong poisonous stuff and unless it was happening often I am not too concerned personally.

is it happening often with yours ?

I see you seem to mention previous upset stomach , and these things together.

which also makes sense if the dog is trying to ‘self medicate’ by eating the grass to feel better.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    My two eat a little grass almost every day, but it only occasionally makes them sick. It does often reappear at the other end, sometimes needing a little assistance at the exit!
    I know, too much information.
    I wouldn't think the odd treat would cause much of an upset and suspect that your Bloodhound's main food might be the problem. Have you considered a food allergy, or carried out any test feeding? Common allergens are chicken, wheat and maize.
  5. Sidney56

Sidney56 New Member

Name:
    Sidney E Cooper
    Thank you, both.
    Chester, my bloodhound, ended up with pancreatitis last weekend and went to hospital, returning with meds and a vet proscribed diet for sensitive stomach. Many hours and much research later, I understand I was part of the problem, not just his sensitive stomach.

The vet wants me to continue the expensive prescription diet, but I have learned more about the wide variety of dog foods out there, including sensitive stomach and skin, hypoallergenic and limited ingredient.

I would really like to hear what other bloodhound owners are feeding their dogs, and how much. I will appreciate any and all answers from all dog owners.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    What brand of prescription diet food did your vet recommend? Pereg had a minor bout of pancreatitis once and my vet said to give her Hills - he only had eight cans but said he would get some more. When I got home and checked the ingredients I put them bag in the bag to give back to him.

We have no idea what triggered it although it possibly was from her medication. It was definitely not caused by her food and she never had scraps from my plate, but whatever it was she got over it and it never re-occurred.

I hope Chester will be better very soon.