Separation anxiety? Behaviour

Discussion in 'Bichon Frise' started by Sheila R, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Sheila R

Sheila R New Member

Name:
    Robby

Separation anxiety?

We adopted a 2 year old Bichon Frise 3 months ago. He is kennel trained, loves his doggy door, doesn't bark very often and obeys commands. We have learned to kennel him when we leave the house or he lifts his leg all over. When we're home he never has a problem. Just this week he has soiled his kennel every time we leave. When we're gone to the gym, we are only gone a little over an hour. So far he has not soiled his bed at night. We don't know what to do. We are retired and take him with us when we can. Help!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Mari7

Mari7 New Member

Name:
    Mare
  4. Mari7

Mari7 New Member

Name:
    Mare
    Hi Sheila,
    Honestly if that were going on with my pup I'd be talking to his vet. just seems strange. I'm sure you'll get some good advice here. I cannot leave my pup alone without him hurting himself. My social life is suffering. I'd like to follow this to see what help you get..I hope your pup is okay & best to you. Mare
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    It sounds as if it could be separation anxiety. He has now had time to become more attached to you, and so wants to be with you all the time. I would try giving him - at first brief - periods alone in his crate while you do chores around the house, or in the garden. Work towards lengthening the time he spends alone, but you could give him a teddy to cuddle up to, or something long-lasting to chew on. Do you leave a radio or TV on for him when you go out? I always think it helps to make the house seem more lived in.