Separation anxiety General Chat

Discussion in 'Parson Russell Terrier' started by Todd C, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Todd C

Todd C New Member

Name:
    Todd

Separation anxiety

Hello all. My name is Todd, I have a 14 year old Parson Russell Terrier. She was born deaf, and blind in her right eye.
    For the past 6 weeks, she's been showing pretty severe signs of separation anxiety. She paces non-stop, and won't let me out of her sight. She paces all day when I'm at work.
    My vet put her on Xanax. .25mgs/day, which isn't helping.
    Now she wants to put her on trazadone.
    She paces so much, she went from 15lbs to 13.5lbs in 4 weeks.
    Has anyone else experienced this with an older Jack or Parson?
    I'm so worried about my baby. 20180705_212942.jpg 20180705_212942.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Bless her little heart.

If she has shown no sign of this before it suggests a medical problem. Have you noticed any other behaviour changes at all?
  4. Todd C

Todd C New Member

Name:
    Todd
    Thanks for your reply, Chris.
    No, she never seemed to have an issue with me leaving her alone before this started in early November. Other than that, there haven't been any changes in her routine, or any other behavioral issues. My vet swears there's nothing physically wrong with her, after two examinations in the past 6 weeks, including bloodwork. She can't believe how physically healthy/active my dog is for a 14yr old.
    I myself have been battling clinical depression and overwhelming anxiety for 20+ years. I'm starting to think she's mirroring my actions. She seems to be doing better after one dose of Trazadone. I'm hoping that provides her with some relief, and it's not something more serious. I don't think I'd make it through losing her, given my current state of mind. She's all I have left, and means everything to me.
    Thanks again for your reply.